Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Captain Underpants
    I have never read these books.

My seven year old daughter brought one home from her father's house, from what I see it's disgusting and inappropriate for her age.

Anyone have any feedback on these books? What age group are they meant for? Is it all gross humor?
    Lauskas Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 13, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Well I really don't think this book is inapropiet for her age because when I was in first grade I remember everyone in my class reading it. If the book was bad for our age the teacher wouldv'e taken it away and she was not easy going. Captain Underpants has nothing to do with sexual things or anything like that so I think you have nothing to worry about.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Dec 13, 2008, 10:56 PM
    I also remember seeing it throughout elementary school. Anything she's seen in those books she's already learned from her classmates, so the efforts probably wasted.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 12:00 AM

Hi, Justwantfair!

What specifically is it that you find inappropriate and disgusting about them, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 02:39 AM

I wasn't thinking they are inappropriate in a sexual nature, I am concerned with the appropriateness of the Bionic Booger Boy with Nasty Nostril Nuggets. More of a how tasteless kind of inappropriate...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 06:05 AM

I agree that these are things that kids already say BUT for them to be in a book more than likely reinforces to the kids that saying these things must be appropriate for them to be in a book a teacher is having us read.
    I even see 'kids' in their 20's with this type of humor. Look at a lot of the TV shows like Family guy.
    My kids tell me I don't have a sense of humor because I do not find anything entertaining about bodily function jokes like 'boogers' or 'farts'
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 08:06 AM

They are disgusting and have a good deal of what I call "potty humor" and that is what many kids in that age range love! They actually are at a fairly high reading level for a seven year old, so if your daughter is reading and understanding it, good for her!

I have a few of the books in my classroom and have even read a couple out loud in the past. The kids think they are hilarious... they are silly to be sure, but guess what... it gets some of them hooked on reading!

The kids that don't care for that sort of book will pick up something else, but for some kids, books that adults might find no value in, will be the very ones that get them interested in reading and it takes off from there. That's a very good thing... :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 10:45 AM

My daughter is a very good reader and she loves reading. Typically I get books about princesses and Tinkerbell, which she loves. I just don't appreciate raunchy humor. Family Guy, Jackass and those types but I don't know if that just means I am prudish.

You want your little girl to understand that the humor isn't appropriate for a young lady.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 11:02 AM

I wouldn't put Captain Underpants in the same category as Family Guy or Jackass... those are certainly not geared towards young children. The humor in Captain Underpants is more silliness and things that make many kids giggle.

You're certainly not prudish, people find humor in different things and what might be funny to one person, might cause another to blush or feel uncomfortable. What a child finds funny will obviously not always be what an adult would find funny. Here's a bit more on Captain Underpants if you are interested:

Captain Underpants: Grownups Guide
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Dec 15, 2008, 09:36 AM

I have two children (7 and 5) who laugh just at the title captain underpants. While I agree that I try to shield my children from the rtaunchiness of this type of humor, I also do not want them to be haughty and prissy at school when the other children are laughing at this. So, we just define when this is appropriate and when it is not. With your friends this is appropriate. With Mom and Dad and grandma and grandpa, it is not appropriate. And I do tell them one day they will not find it so funny.

Good luck!
    Lauskas Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2008, 06:28 PM
    If you think this book isn't good for her reading level guess again. There's a boy in my class who read Captain Underpants and a lot of people would make fun of him but now he's probably the best reader in my grade. If it makes your daughter happy and busy you should be happy too and not be concered about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ants in underpants? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. This is quite embarrassing but on a few occasions, I have found ants crawling about in my used underwear. I recently had my blood sugar checked (after fasting for 8 hrs) and the results came back normal. I was wondering what could have caused those ants to come? Could it be the virginal...

Captain Forest [ 1 Answers ]

I worked on this all day and I need your help to tell me if this is right and how to I . Use the work sheet to enter the adjusting and closing entries; then journalize them. 3. Prepare the income statement and the statement of owner’s equity for the year ended June 30 and the classified balance...

Captain Forest or Everyone [ 2 Answers ]

I've posted some question but still couldn't fine the answer. Can anyone help me?

View more questions Search