Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Dec 13, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Keeping car warm
    I have a 76 Nova race car. Its is going to get cold here in a week or so and I have to keep it outside this winter all tarped up. What I did, was pull the rad hose off the water pump and let all the water come out of the rad and block.Put the hose back on and filled it to the top with pure antifreeze. Fired it up for 5 miutes then turned it off and covered it up. I was wondering if this is enough for -25 celsius? Or is there trick like a lighbulb or somekind of heater I could put on the engine for the week or 2 of cold weather? Just nervous about crackin a block...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 09:15 AM

I know that they do sell a product in colder climents to keep engines warm. It's an electrical unit that plugs into a socket. It's an engine blanket. If you lived in say Minnesota you wouldn't be asking this question as your local auto store would certainly carry them.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 06:41 PM

Regardless the latitude or temperature, you would do best to park your ride with the cooling system filled with the proper mix for your vehicle.
    Most cooling systems will corrode far quicker when exposed to cold outside air, than if covered with coolant (which usually includes corrosion inhibitors.)
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 06:47 PM

They used to make something called a dip stick heater. I haven't seen one for a long time. They also make a magnetic block heater I think. I would check into either of those options just to be safe.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 07:03 PM

They also make one that goes into the block, just like a freeze plug. And somebody else makes a really neat version that goes right in the radiator hose and pumps warmed coolant with a little pump.
    The fact is, none of any of the suplemental pre-heaters mentioned here tonight will do anything more than give you false hope... if... if... if you don't have enough of the proper mix coolant, filling the system. Period.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 08:12 PM

Capt Rich - I didn't think that straight anti freeze was a good idea either. The proper mix is best - or buy the premixed stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keeping my bunny warm [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the south part of Texas. We hardly have cold weather; however, I would like some advice or tips on keeping my outdoor rabbit warm. It will be his first winter, since he was born around Feb and lived inside. He made the transition to the outdoors about late July. He is a very happy...

Keeping Red Dye [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so after a long search, I've found the perfect firetruck red hair dye. It's for highlights, but I just buy two bottles at Sally's Beauty Supply, and it's a bleach/dye mix, so it's a one step process. Not to mention the great, bright red. Trouble is, it washes out the bright in two weeks, and...

Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above...

Keeping up with the Sun [ 1 Answers ]

At the Earth's equator a person would have to run 1,037 miles/hour to keep up with the Sun. Obviously impossible. Name the bodies in the solar system (there is more than one) where a running human could, in theory, keep up with the Sun on the body's equator. Help me find the answer please

Keeping my son in bed [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 yr old boy that is difficult to keep in bed. We recently (2 weeks)moved him from his brothers room (where he slept in his brothers bed and in his own bed) to his own room. At bedtime, we put him in bed and walk out of the room. Moments later, he comes out. We then put him back...

View more questions Search