Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpea19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2008, 03:21 AM
    Does any one know about anti abuse syrup
    Hi, I'm confused; got a mate who drinks. He has now decided to change his life around. Went to the clinic and got his stop drinking tablets (which I seen).he told me that he can not take them because he was administered with a syrup that kicks in straight away to stop him drinking.any one heard of that let us know
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

Dec 13, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Hi,
    I don't know of this syrup you talk about, maybe a new thing on the market.
    I do however know about "Antabuse". This is a medication which is taken daily and has no effect on the body at all, as long as you don't put alcohol in your body. The medication builds up in your system and when alcohol gets into your system it reacts with the medication and causes extremely unpleasant effects on the body.
    You would experience such things as very rapid heartbeat, increased blood pressure,tightening of the chest and difficulty breathing properly. When these things and others in some people are combined, the effect is quite terrifying and you feel that you are going to die. That is usually enough to scare you out of touching any alcohol in the short term.
    Lets say you have a bottle of spirits in your hand. You would only have to take a small glug from the bottle and within a minute or so you get all those effects building up very rapidly and you would most surely put that bottle down in a hurry.
    There is only one problem with antabuse drugs and that is you need the willpower to take the medication daily. Once in your system (usually a few days) you can"t touch alcohol. This is a good drug because if you really want to stop drinking you can't have a weak day and give in to alcohol. You would have to consciously stop the medication for at least a few days to get it out of you system before being able to drink. In the mean time the moment of weakness can pass and you then can think to yourself " I feel stronger today so I will carry on taking my antabuse", and so it goes on. If you are too weak , you stop medication, drink and ultimately live a miserable , destructive , lonely existence and die younger!
    This syrup you talk of, I am sure is the same thing as antabuse which is taken in tablet form. Your friend obviously has a problem with drink if he has been prescribed this medication. Maybe it would be an Idea for him to come on this site if he has a PC. I could then offer some support and tell him of my first hand experiences with this drug and alcohol abuse. I and many others here are always here to offer advise and share our experiences.
    Wish him luck from me.
    Cheers.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 06:53 AM

I agree with all the above poster said and if not already warned by his doctor he should be aware that certain foods, liquid medicines, remedies, tonics, toiletries, perfumes and aerosol sprays may contain sufficient alcohol to cause an adverse reaction.Always look for alcohol free products as some people have a higher sensitivity to the med and can become ill from even using an alcohol based
    Deodorant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100% Pure vs. Organic Maple Syrup [ 5 Answers ]

I buy Spring Tree brand maple syrup who sell both a "100% Pure All Natural" and a "Certified Organic" product. Both products are identical in taste and color, save for a small logo on the organic label. Both are products of Canada. Maple Syrup comes from trees on the maker's land, or land he...

Simple syrup [ 4 Answers ]

How do you make simple syrup and how long does it keep?

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

Advil and Cough Syrup [ 1 Answers ]

My ovulation started on the 5-9th of dec my husband and I had sex all through.On Sunday the 10th I was down with a flu the doctor prescribed advil for me and cough syrup.I have been taking it though,I want to know if is okay can it affect me conceiving

Maple syrup biscuits [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to make biscuits with maple syrup. Has any of you a recipe ? Thanks

View more questions Search