Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemmom Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Difficulty "pooping"
    My 20-month old daughter poops every other day. Is this normal? And when she starts pooping, it takes her up to 2 hours to poop. When she's finished she's exhausted and there's always a small trace of blood in the big ball of poop. How can I help her not suffer during "pooping" time? My mom has started inserting 1/2 a suppository every time my daughter has been pushing for more than 1/2 an hour. However, I don't want to get her used to these. How about probiotics? She's a very healthy little girl, this is the only problem she has.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 12, 2008, 11:53 AM

This is best left up to the Dr. have you consulted your physician? It could easily be a intestinal issue. I really think that you should consult her primary physician.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
    You need to consult your pediatrician about this. There are many reasons for constipation, but this needs to be addressed by a professional.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 12:43 PM

As everyone said... see a doctor.

When I was young, I wouldn't want to go to the bathroom and therefore I would hold my "poop". It caused a serious build up and my mom did have to give me suppositories.

She did take me to the doctor, though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 01:02 PM

Yes this is not really normal, what type of diet is the child on.

Dec 12, 2008, 01:46 PM
    My daughter is on a normal diet. She eats well. Lately, though, vegetables and fruits are not her favorites, not like when she was younger. And she doesn't like to drink water so I have to dilute her milk with water, just to get her to drink some water.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Dec 12, 2008, 02:14 PM

That's part of the problem, water is crucial to your body. It's possible that the combination of what she is eating is making it very difficult for her to digest. I think she could be chronically constipated. Your Dr may be able to refer you all to a nutritionist or something to determine if she needs more fiber and less binding food.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Dec 13, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Of course, take her to the doctor, but while you are doing that, substitute her normal juice for watered prune juice, or mix her apple juice with prune juice. Also, those dried pitted prunes that come in containers, they are awesome, and kids think they are big fruit snacks. One or two of them a day would really help too. She has learned that it hurts to go, so she's holding back as long as possible, and that makes it even worse. If you can get some movement in her system, she won't be able to hold back. Good luck!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2008, 07:42 PM

Diluting her milk is DANGEROUS!! Stop this practice as you can cause some serious health problems for your child. Please consult your child's doctor as no child needs to strain for 2 hours. That is not good for her insides.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Diluting her milk is DANGEROUS!!! Stop this practice as you can cause some serious health problems for your child. Please consult your child's doctor as no child needs to strain for 2 hours. That is not good for her insides.

I am just curious - why is "dangerous" to dilute a 20 month old's milk?

Dec 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
    My daughter won't drink juice either. She use to love drinking prune juice when she was still drinking out of her bottle. Now she'll only drink milk from a sippy cup.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:47 PM

Does she drink from a straw? They make spill proof cups that use straws.
    Maybe she would like that better?

My sister's daughter had this problem. She took her to the doctor and they added mineral oil and prunes to her diet. It helped her.

Make sure to go to your doctor and get her checked out. SHe could have a food allergy that you have never picked up on.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 03:54 PM

Children need the fat, but I don't know why diluting it would be considered dangerous/ I would contact her doctor to discuss her constipation
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2008, 04:08 PM

Agree with most of the previously posted answers; I also have a 20-month-old. She doesn't poop every day, but she doesn't strain, either. I make sure she gets plenty of "roughage" so to speak - raisins, whole grain foods, etc.

I'd lay off the suppositories, as it's easy for such a little one to become dependent on something else to make her go rather than her own body. Definitely discuss this with your pediatrician, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heater will not work on "auto" and blows cool air when on "man" [ 2 Answers ]

OK my central heater blower will not come on at all when on auto, and when on manual/on it just blows cool air out of vents. I was told to put a jumper wire on (w) to (g)wires at the thermostat, (I think) to check it, but not sure exactly. Is that the thermostat on wall or what? The pilot light is...

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

View more questions Search