Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csabatier Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Car Deposit: Refunable or not?
    I recently put down $300 for a used vehicle in MA. I am not going to be able to complete this purchase, is it reasonable to ask for my deposit back.
    In our written document the wording is " I Chris ______ hear by receive a deposit on a 1996 GMC Sierra VIN #2GTEK19R0T1531661 ON 12-08-08 DEPOSIT OF 300.00 THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS 0/100 BAL DUE $4200 four thousand two hundred BAL DUE BY 12-15-08. Truck is in as is condition.

Signature
    Signature
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Dec 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Have you taken possession of the vehicle?

Dec 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
    No, not yet.

Dec 11, 2008, 10:54 PM

Any idea how that affects things?

Dec 11, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Since it has not happened, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I were you I would request the funds back immediately. Where I live you only have 3 days to request the return of a down payment on a vehicle. I am not sure what the law is where you live, but if there is no time limit, and he refuses to give you back the money, you could always take him to small claims.

It seems your contract says nothing about rescinding on the deal, or within what time frame that must be done, so you might have a chance.

Dec 11, 2008, 11:05 PM
    OK, cool. Thanks a lot

Dec 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
    Sure...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csabatier View Post
    I recently put down $300 for a used vehicle in MA. I am not going to be able to complete this purchase, is it reasonable to ask for my deposit back.
    In our written document the wording is " I Chris ______ hear by receive a deposit on a 1996 GMC Sierra VIN #2GTEK19R0T1531661 ON 12-08-08 DEPOSIT OF 300.00 THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS 0/100 BAL DUE $4200 four thousand two hundred BAL DUE BY 12-15-08. Truck is in as is condition.

signature
    signature

I see no grounds for the return of your deposit. You entered into a contract; you are going to default.

The contract is, of course, silent on the return of the deposit so you can always go to Court - but keep in mind you are defaulting.

In many States the 24 (or 48) hour clause applies only to IN HOME or TELEPHONE sales, not to this situation. You will have to either post your State or check the State law yourself.

You can always ask for the return of your deposit and see what the seller says.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 03:05 PM

You can ask, but you're not necessarily going to receive. You're not legally entitled to a refund but the seller may be willing to return it.

It's the same as if you placed a security deposit on an apartment and then later realized you wouldn't be able to move in; you place the deposit with the seller as a good faith gesture and in return, s/he agrees not to sell that property to anyone else.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Dec 15, 2008, 05:31 PM
    A strict interpretation of contract law would result in you forfeiting the deposit if you fail to honour the agreement to buy the vehicle.

An equitable interpretation of contract law would allow the seller to keep the deposit to the extend that damages can be proven. Damages could be any or all of the following:

- the costs associated with entering into an agreement with you (ie. Salesperson's time, other administrative costs, etc.)

- the costs of having to advertise the vehicle again

- the loss in revenue if the vehicle is ultimately sold for less than what you were prepared to pay for it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

Deposit for Used Car [ 4 Answers ]

Do I need to return a deposit given on a car I am selling if the buyer backs out?

Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I move in June 1st 2008, my lanlord do not return my deposit yet. Even He do not answer my phone. How I can get hus address, is not in the phone book

Pet deposit/fee [ 1 Answers ]

As a landlord in New Hamphire how much am I able to ask for a pet security deposit/fee? I know I can ask up to as much as the rent for a security deposit but how much for a Pet fee/deposit?

Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Refundable deposit is classified as liability or not?

View more questions Search