Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Bicarbonate of soda vs. baking soda?
    In Australia, we only have bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. The chocolate crinkles recipe I want to try out requires baking soda. Which can I use to substitute & how much?:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:12 PM

Baking soda (Sodium bicarbonate) is the same as bicarbonate of soda.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Jan 9, 2012, 12:33 PM
    I was about to say the same thing. In the United States, bicarbonate of soda, or sodium bicarbonate is called as baking soda. It is an alkaline salt.

When you have fruit in your recipe, the citric acid in the fruit reacts with the bicarb, causing CO2 gas to be released, which leavens the cake.

If your recipe does not contain an acidic fruit, you must use baking powder, which is a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and an acid salt. (usually "cream of tartar" (Potassium hydrogen tartrate, also known as potassium bitartrate)

When the two salts are mixed together in water, it causes the same acid alkali reaction.

Sodium bicarbonate is an alkaline salt, while potassium bitartrate is an acid salt.

Of course, you can simply mix the two checicals yourself, but baking powder is much more convenient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ratio of baking soda/baking powder to plainf flour [ 2 Answers ]

I have an Australian cookie recipe that calls for self raising flour and I do not have any.. what ratio of baking powder should I add to the regular flour to make it "self raising' Many thanks

Baking soda, does it really work and why? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to find out ways I could pass a drug test using home remedies such as the baking soda. I'm a meth user/addict who seems to always land myself back to this situation and eventually back to a state of incarceration. Any information on ways to buy some more time to get a hold of...

Is there another quality brand of baking soda beside Arm & Hammer? [ 2 Answers ]

Arm & Hammer seems to be a monopoly with baking soda. Is there another quality brand besides that?

Identifying baking soda and washing soda [ 2 Answers ]

Using a monoprotic acid, how would you find out which sample is baking soda and which sample is washing soda if you have unknown samples of each? I think it has something to do with how much CO2 each produces when reacted with the acid, but I don't know which produces more CO2 and which produces...

View more questions Search