Internet access
    Hi
    AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested

No AOL browser visible

Ta Norm
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2006, 07:04 AM
    What happens when you try going to a site using AOL?
    dxviii Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2006, 08:38 AM
    I recommend NOT using AOL. It's trash!

Jul 8, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dxviii
    I recommend NOT using AOL. It's trash!
    And on what do you base that opinion? Have you ever used AOL?

While AOL is NOT for everyone, it still provides a safer and more user friendly access then anyone else. The only reason AOL is losing subscribers is because it made major mistakes in dealing with broadband access. So lots of people went broadband with other carriers and then found they really didn't need AOL anymore.
    dxviii Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Okay... I may have been a little harsh but yes. I had AOL for a year. It took me four months to cancel my service. They kept billing my credit card. I called three times and all they did was fuss at me and they still didn't cancel my service. Finally I canceled my credit card. :) That worked!

Jul 8, 2006, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dxviii
    Okay... I may have been a little harsh but yes. I had AOL for a year. It took me four months to cancel my service. They kept billing my credit card. I called three times and all they did was fuss at me and they still didn't cancel my service. Finally I canceled my credit card. :) That worked!
    Lots of people do report problems in cancelling. Mostly AOL reps will give you free months or reduced rates to try and prevent you from cancelling. However, if you are firm with them, they will cancel. If they continued to bill you, you probably weren't firm enough. You didn't need to cancel the card, just tell the issuer to no longer accept AOL charges.'
    smartnormy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2006, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What happens when you try going to a site using AOL?
    Hi SG
    Without my AOL browser I can't go anywhere... bit of history...
    Installed items of hardware ,every thing fine for a week or so..
    Asked to reactivate... did so OK by phone , unable to do so online.Ran Scan disk OK.
    Now no browser... and unable to connect to the internet with Aol. Any ideas please anyone..
    Norm

Jul 10, 2006, 06:06 AM
    But what DOES happen? Any error messages anything appear in the browser window? Have you purged your cache and reset your AOL Adapter?
    smartnormy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 02:06 AM
    Thanks for staying with me SG
    From desktop... click on AOL icon... opening AOL version 9 appears followed by... "aol will now install files req to connect to service ".. click yes... computer shuts down and restarts.. back to sq 1... the desktop!! i.e. no connection to AOL. Do I need to be online to purge cache etc ?
    Norm

Jul 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
    OK so the problem is in loading the AOL client. I suggest do an uninstall then a clean re install. You can get a current AOL CD freely at loads of places.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet URL Access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I have one computer, 450 MHz Pentium, running IE 5.50 sp1, that won

Hacker internet access question [ 8 Answers ]

Can a hacker gain access to my computer and use it to access the internet through my ISP?

Internet access using a router. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What...

Internet access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small network of 8 computers running Windows XP home edition and connected to the internet using my telephone company's DSL service. Each computer has an individual's e-mail account using Outlook Express so I need internet connection for this function. What I want to do is prevent certain...

Mobile internet access when travelling [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt (canadian) will be travelling in the usa for the next year in her motorhome. She wants to be able to access the internet using her laptop. She's not totally comfortable yet with using a computer or the net. I want to know how I can help her prepare for mobile access while she's in the...

View more questions Search