Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Dec 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
    For a roofing expert.
    My neighbor had a new roof put on and I noticed that instead of exposed flashing that I normally see between the slopes where different sections of roof meet, they continued the shingles un-interrupted over the "valley" where flashing used to be. Is this some new method, or is it a way to save money and time by the roofers? I would think the shingles would sag and fail quickly in that area.
    Thanks for any info!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 02:00 PM

I'm no expert but from the way you described the roof shingles, the flashing seems to have been omitted or installed incorrectly. It may have been installed under the shingles.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 09:10 PM

If this is asphalt shingles flashing a valley is actually quite uncommon. The most common way to address shingles in a valey is a weave that overlaps each row below the next row.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 09:32 PM

I have been roofing for the past 20 years or so.

If I understand the method you described it is called a 'California cut'

The shingles are laid completely up one side of the valley,then the opposing side is laid just up to the valley center,being cut to give a clean appearance.The water has to flow over the shingles below,never getting to the bottom of the valley(under the shingles).

Yes,this seems to be a strange way to shingle being as the 'old' methods show a valley.

New building practice is to eliminate the need for metal in those valleys,as they used to fail often enough and then repair was to remove the adjacent shingles and replace an entire valley.

This method is accepted by all manufacturers (along with the 'weaving' method described above) for new roofs.

KBC
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 07:53 PM

What you are describing is the shingles are 'laced' or 'weaved' across the valley. This is done quite often in some areas. It is still a good idea to install valley flashing in the valley prior to installing the shingles. Standard practice used to be 'standing seam' valley flashing or exposed valley flashing. Another method is the 'cut valley', where shingles are ran from one side across the valley and lap onto adjacent roof area. When the shingles are ran on this adjacent section they overlap and are cut along the line of the valley.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roofing ! [ 3 Answers ]

Which is a better way to go roof shingles or a metal roof . And which is more durable and lasting ?:)

What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him? [ 3 Answers ]

What qualifies an expert witness? How is an expert qualified and who qualifies him?

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

Roofing how to? [ 2 Answers ]

We measured a roof but we don't understand how to find the number squares we need to lay the roof or the number of bundles of shingles. We know 10x10 is a square but after measuring how many square is the problem. The roof measures like this; 125 foot long and 5 foot 3inches wide, the dormer is...

View more questions Search