Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jul 7, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Yamaha vs. Pioneer
    Hi everyone!

We're building a house and my husband arranged for the contractor to install in-ceiling wiring and speakers for a home theater system. (Of course he didn't bother to talk to me about it first.)

So now I've found out that we have the following:

5 speakers by Proficient Audio Systems, Model C660 - 125 watts
    10" subwoofer by Proficient Audio Systems - 125 watts

I spent 2 hours talking to the guy who was installing them, drawing a diagram of how everything needs to be hooked up later and trying to get an idea of what type of receiver to buy.

I have an older Sony 32" TV that will eventually be replaced with some kind of HDTV but not for awhile. I also have a digital cable box, an Onkyo CD changer and a JVC DVD/VCR recorder.

He told me to buy a receiver that is not more than 700 watts. (I've blown out speakers in the past.)

I think I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha RX-V659 and the Pioneer VSX-816K. Both are 7.1 channel because there doesn't seem to be much of anything available for 5.1. The Pioneer is 770 total watts, though. Do I run the risk of blowing speakers?

Also, the Pioneer is considerably less expensive than the Yamaha for what seems like comparable features. Why? (BTW, my budget is a max of $400.)

Could someone please give me some guidance?

TIA,
    LisaB

Check out some similar questions!

Pioneer head unit [ 3 Answers ]

Does anybody know where I can find an instruction manual for a pioneer head unit. The model is a couple years old. Nobody has been able to set the clock. The model number for the head unit is deh-p31. it's the super tuner III.

Yamaha yz 125 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a yamaha yz 125 and I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my back tire locked up. I think something is wrong with my gears because I can't shift or anything, the engine runs fine like I can pull the clutch in and start it up but it just won't shift or move. What do you think the...

Pioneer avh-p6600dvd [ 2 Answers ]

My dvd will read dvd but not cd's. Any help?

Yamaha xs650 wiring [ 0 Answers ]

I need someone to tell me how to wire a1981 xs650 yamaha engine without using one more wire than it takes to make it run.I have no use for the rest of the junk as it is not in a motorcycle but in a monster truck.

Problem with in car Pioneer cd player [ 1 Answers ]

This problem is driving me crazy. Didn't know where to post this topic, any help would be greatly appreciated. Last year I decided to splash out on a flashy car cd player Pioneer DEHP80MP. It is still under manufacturers guarantee and it has developed a problem even the repairers can't fix. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.