Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Dec 11, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Ford Windstar issue
    I have a 99 Ford Windstar that is intermitently starting and not starting. I have had the starter and cylenoid checked, no issue. I have recently on Monday replaced the positive connector on the battery and it started after being jumped (which before it did not do) so I let it run to charge the battery. After that it started a few times in a row then last night would not start so I replaced the battery. This morning it started a couple of times and now won't start. When it doesn't start it doesn't even turn over it there is just nothing. ANy advice before I bring it to the shop.
    vettenav Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 01:05 PM

Did you replace the battery cables.
    Vettenav
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 01:09 PM

This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Dec 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vettenav View Post
    Did you replace the battery cables.
    Vettenav
    No, Is that the next step?

Dec 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    I am a repair novice and your advice was way over my head. It sounds that a shop would do me best?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 03:24 PM

I would replace the starter. How did you have it checked last time? It may just have a dead spot that it occasionally stops on, leaving you stuck.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 13, 2008, 12:46 AM

Since your battery started the car when fully charged, I suspect your alternator. It's not re-charging the battery. A shop can test it.
    Try re-charging the battery and see what happens. You should actually be able to get quite a few starts a fully charged battery, providing you're not running your heater or lights, etc.
    Make sure the battery connections are tight. This could cause the battery to not fully charge. You shouldn't be able to jiggle the connectors.

Dec 15, 2008, 01:24 PM

Problem solved. Replaced battery cables. Found problem with connecting bolt at starter; negative cable was loose and caused "arching" to cause connection problem. Thanks for the feedback
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 15, 2008, 02:05 PM
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I chang the transmission range sensor on a 98 ford windstar 3.0 L [ 1 Answers ]

How do I chang the transmission range sensor on a 98 ford windstar 3.0 L

Ford windstar trouble [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 windstar with a few concerns. My back brake light gets stuck and stays on after I shut off the engine and have to play with the brake to unstuck the lights. Sometimes when I try locking the door the lock just pops back up when I close the door. And I noticed yesterday the...

'99 Ford Windstar Transmission Problems [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Here's our situation: Our car is fine after the 20 mph mark if we're on a level road - it's great on the freeway. Below 20 mph, we have a hard time making turns, especially left turns. The only way to get going after stopping at an intersection is by putting the car in D2. If we're...

2000 Ford Windstar Van [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar van that will not start, I have tried jump starting it and it will still not start, it is dead. Could it be that the battery is dead?

View more questions Search