Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Another Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Are deleted emails saved by email companies for law enforcement or civil law
    I heard that Google keeps your searches (by IP address) for six months or more, Microsoft a year and a half! So I got to thinking about emails. Text is trivially small to store and never delete. And with memory only becoming cheaper and more expansive, the downside for keeping information will continue to diminish.

I could imagine that intelligence agencies would love to be able to trace threads of communication back in time, for years. And of course, local law enforcement could use the information, if legal, too. Then there are all manner of civil cases; a divorce seeking information about online infidelity for example...

Anyone know for certain what companies are doing about this sort of online privacy?

If not, what is your guess as to what's being done?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Another View Post
    I heard that Google keeps your searches (by IP address) for six months or more, Microsoft a year and a half! So I got to thinking about emails. Text is trivially small to store and never delete. And with memory only becoming cheaper and more expansive, the downside for keeping information will continue to diminish.

I could imagine that intelligence agencies would love to be able to trace threads of communication back in time, for years. And of course, local law enforcement could use the information, if legal, too. Then there are all manner of civil cases; a divorce seeking information about online infidelity for example....

Anyone know for certain what companies are doing about this sort of online privacy?

If not, what is your guess as to what's being done?

Computers and searches are subpoenaed all the time - sometimes they are available, sometimes they are not.

AOL is not terribly cooperative but apparently does keep records for a year - from what I have experienced. It may have changed since two years ago.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:39 PM
    I know for a fact they do even on a small scale level. I fixed this one ladies PC and she used squirrel mail which is tons smaller than Yahoo, AOL, Google... etc and they kept theirs for 6 months so I would figure all the big wigs would too..
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
    I correct mtself... Webmails do not keep emails (to my knowledgw) I said they did before because I retrieved some deleted email from squirrelmail but after a little digging squirrelmail is a Client that goes through Outlook! Therefore is required to keep files for X amount of months/years! Sorry for the confusion!

Rick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 03:53 AM

Yes, sometimes the information is available and sometimes it's not.

One time, a number of years ago, I asked the top level tech at my ISP what information was available concerning email that had already been downloaded to my computer. He said nothing was available other than possibly that which might have been sent while using only the server and not directly from my computer.

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 06:00 AM

I would guess that if you are a high profile person in the governments estimation that they would keep close tabs on you for as long as they deemed necessary.
    I think Big Brother is capable of anything.
    Look at the *patriot act*... just a nice word for spying.
    I know certain words and searches are considered key for on line surveillance.
    It is creepy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deleted new emails [ 2 Answers ]

Why are my new emails being deleted when I go into the inbox to retrieve them?

Can I retrieve emails that have been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

OK this is my situation. I sent some mms messages (pictures) from my phone to my hotmail account. They stayed saved in my folders for some time. Now the original message technically exists, but its blank... no photos... my ex might have done this or possibly the cell company, but either way I need...

Deleted emails -recovery [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has deleted some emails sent and received :confused:and I was wondering if I could recover them or an idea of where to look on the computer we have incredemail I know he's hiding something and its not a nice surprise:( I hope someone can help me

How to retrive the deleted Emails. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have deleted some Emails from my inbox (Gmail). I deleted from trash box also. I want to retrieve the deleted mails from gmail server. Please any body explain me about this query. Thanks & Regards Dhanunjaya D

Deleted Emails [ 4 Answers ]

Each time I open my email box messages I have already deleted from my inbox and deleted items folder keep reappearing with the same dates as before. How do I get rid of them once and for all?

View more questions Search