Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Dec 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
    I got latex paint on my carpet!
    I just finished painting my hallways in the upstairs of my house a very dark green. I have tan carpet, which I splashed some paint on. I tried soap and water, no go. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the paint out of my carpet? I am afraid I am going to have to have all of the carpeting replaced :confused:
    Premier666 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 01:51 PM

Try Goof-Off. Try it in an area that isn't seen much to see if it changes the carpet color at all. If it does not, use it on the spot. I would keep it wet with water while your out buying the Goof_off
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 05:31 PM

I am afraid that you are not going to get that paint out once it has cured. Unlike an oil paint, once latex is dried you can be stuck. The paint carrier might be removed but the pigments have now dyed your carpet. Any solvent that can loosen the pigment will also pull out some of the tan.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the rating ang. I should have finished one thought. Oil based paints can usually be removed using a solvent just a bit hotter than what is in the paint. Latex pigments are powdery before they start blending and that powder pigment is like a dye. A friend of mine did try this with some success. Apply dry ice for a minute and then hit it with a good vacuum with a beater bar, the paint chipped and shattered from what he tells me. I have no first hand experience but it sounds like a cool science experiment, you got nothing to loose.

Dec 12, 2008, 10:43 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know what I have figured out in case this happens to anyone else. Someone told me to try rubbing alcohol, I thought they were CRAZY. After pouring it on, letting it sit for about 30 seconds, then scrubbed with a clean cloth, all the paint came out! Who would have thought that would work on dried paint!
    Premier666 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2008, 11:36 AM

Rubbing alcohol is basically the same thing as Goof-Off. Dry ice? Congrats on cleaning. Next time consider a pro or some drops.

Dec 12, 2008, 09:23 PM

I think I will invest in some drop cloths, not one to hire a pro though, I am a do-it-yourselfer. Thanks everyone for your help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latex or oil , old paint [ 4 Answers ]

I need to paint over woodwork and don't know if it is oil or latex. What should I do?

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Latex enamel [ 1 Answers ]

What is latex enamel? I know that latex paint is water-based and enamel is varnish or lacquer plus pigment or paint. So is latex enamel considered to be water-based? Cleans up and thins with what?

LaTex [ 3 Answers ]

Just a thought, but LaTex would really be nice in this forum. I wonder if there's anyway to get the 'powers-that-be' to implement it. Does anyone agree?

View more questions Search