Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hendranirtak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 05:29 PM
    Diabetes
    I just had a bloodt test for diabetes and my doctor wants to see me again as it was a bit high, I have been told to stay awat from sweet things and carbos by another diabetic that I know, I was wondering if there is a possibility as after a meal with carbos in I am ill, usually my stomach, it plays up all night, and I was wndering if this is any thing to do with diabetes or just a coincidence,
    Thanks
    Kat
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2003, 12:15 AM
    Re: diabetes
    hendranirtak, your best bet is to wait and have your MD test your blood sugar level again. The fact that you said you are feeling "ill in your stomach" is all the more reason for you to wait for your 2nd MD visit and see what the test shows to be sure if you might have diabetes or be inclined to have diabetes. There's borderline diabetes, there's TYPE 1 AND TYPE 2 diabetes, there's false negative and false positive diabetes, there's gestational diabetes, hyperglycemia, and then there's hypoglycemia, both of the last may or may not be a warning for getting diabetes. And then there are your medical, family, and lifestyle background that come into play to determine if your "stomach illness" might lead to some form of diabetes. So, it's difficult to say without knowing your history completely.

And since most of us here do not have a medical background, much less being MD's, your best person who can answer you confidently is your MD doctor.

Besides, the stomach illness you mentioned can be from several reasons:

--Were you thirsty, urinate a lot, and hungry often during the day.

--How much you have eaten.

--Your state of mind and body during your meal--happy, sad, stressful, etc.

--Foods you have eaten may not be cooked or prepared well enough.

--The interactions among different type of foods, such as milk with banana, or bread with spaghetti and meat sauce and soda or juice (orange or apple juice raises blood sugar level differently, for example)

--You may have eaten to fast.

--Different types of foods, especially different types of carbos affect the body differently, usually measured by what's called the glycemic index--such as for potato, rice, pasta, bread, carrots, beans, fruits, chicken, etc.

--Or what you ate in your previous meal and/or meals before that may have affected your GI during this meal.

So, you see, your question is not easy to answer.

To find out more about diabetes and the glycemic index, you might would like to try these websites:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dg.../health2b1.htm (on different diabetes theories and mgmt.)

http://diabetes.about.com/library/me...nmendosagi.htm (on glycemix index) Click on the link to your left here to find out more about different aspects of diabetes.

grandmudda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Hello.

I have diabetes, high blood pressure and slow circulation in one leg and take about five different medication beside vitamins.

I'm having problems with my hair it keeps coming out, around the hairline and the neckline, my appearance has changed because of it and I'm really sick over it.

Could it possibly be the medication?

Can you help me please!

Thanks!
    Ms P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetes symptoms? [ 4 Answers ]

I had gestational diabetes in my second pregnancy in 2004 and was told that I am at a high risk of developing diabetes mellitus later on. For the past month or so, I have been urinating more than usual, been extremely hungry and thirsty, sleepier than usual, my eyes have been sore and my vision...

3 yr. Old and type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

Diabetes: How much sugar should a diabetic limited to? [ 3 Answers ]

How much sugar should a diabetic be limited to? (gram per day or week?)

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search