Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whyme06 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Their Eyes Were Watching God
    I Need help coming up with a QUESTION TO ANSWER for my research paper on the novel "THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD? My topic is "is nanny right when she says marriage is convenice" but I need to make that into a question?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2006, 10:54 AM
    I don't understand. With a tiny tweak we can make what you said a complete sentence/question:

"Is nanny right when she says marriage is just for convenience?"

... or am I misunderstanding what you are asking?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    I just finished reading the book... loved it. By Zora Neale Hurston. Wrote a term paper on it also.

Do you mean you are writing about Nanny's feelings about Janie's marriage to Logan Killicks?

If you can clear this up I would love to help as I truly found the novel amazing.
    whyme06 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    I just finished reading the book....loved it. By Zora Neale Hurston. Wrote a term paper on it also.

Do you mean you are writing about Nanny's feelings about Janie's marriage to Logan Killicks?

If you can clear this up I would love to help as I truly found the novel amazing.

I don't know my teacher gave us a list of topics and She wrote it just like this "Is grandma right? Marriages of Convenience... I have to turn that into Research type question... Like for example Pro and Cons of marriages as a convenience... and I have to talk about that in my research paper
    Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Did she give you any other questions or just this one?

Okay, we can agree that Nanny felt that Janie's marriage to Logan was for convenience because Logan had a farm (50 acres) and after Nanny passes Logan will be able to take care of Janie, and after Logan passes Janie will become sole owner of the farm. That is one argument on the Pro side.

As for the Con side, Janie does not love Logan, so she feels she should not marry him.

You see how that works now? You can go through the whole book and pick out the pros and cons with Joe Starks, but there is little argument for Janie's marriage to TeaCake.

Let me know if you need more. I can't do your homework for you, as I said I already did my paper on this book, but I will be happy to help and point you in the right direction.
    Expert

Jul 12, 2006, 01:49 PM
    You could also argue that Janie's marriage to Joe Starks was convenient for him because he has a new pretty wife, which he believes he needs to become Mayor, and it is also convenient for him because she works at the general store.

One of the questions my teacher asked was

How does Nanny believe that women are the mules of society.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dizziness and eye strain after an hour of watching the computer screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I don't know about you but for me.. working at my computer became a very hard thing to do. After just an hour of working in front of it... I kind of getting dizzy and have different aches right in my both eyes or sometimes even in my head. Did you have similar problems ? How did you...

Mother passed/now feel like she may be watching over me [ 14 Answers ]

Okay everyone, this is going to be a really long post, so get ready. When I was 12 yr.'s old my mother passed away from a brain aneurism. I did not grieve at all afterwards, I guess mainly because I wanted to shut it out of mind at the time (which I now know is normal, especially at the age). ...

The Sun in your Eyes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need once again another song discoveration :). Okay, if anyone has Sky Digital, there was a... advertisement.. of sorts.. of Late Night films, I think some of the song goes "The sun in your eyes". Hopefully this could help.

What are you watching now? [ 17 Answers ]

What kind of movies or sitcoms are you guys watching this month? (I am a little bit there and a little bit here)

Eyes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for two blue-eyed people to have a brown eyed-child?

View more questions Search