Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgfarmer Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 03:46 PM
    Engine making a grinding noise
    I have a 97 honda civic with auto transmission. I noticed today when I reved the engine that when I let off the gas the engine made a very slight grinding noise. I was in park so I don't think it would be the transmission. While driving the car I have had no problems at all. Any ideas on what may cause something like this?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Jul 21, 2006, 12:49 PM
    The good news is that it's not the engine. Otherwise your engine wouldn't be running right now!

Reving the engine puts a lot of stress on the A/C unit if its on. Also look at power stearing or alternator. Check belt tightness and clearences.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 21, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Start the engine, pop the hood and listen and see if you can pinpoint where it's coming from. See if it's coming from the distributor... there's a bearing inside that went bad on my Civic '90 about half a year ago, and it produced a horrible screeching noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace (heat pump) making *really* loud noise. [ 2 Answers ]

Seeing as I don't know next to anything about heating/ac, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any idea. The setup is some old heat pump/furnace/water heater/etc, which all of a sudden at around 3:00am this morning decided to make a VERY loud noise. I had to shut it off (the furnace is a...

Grinding noise when turning right [ 8 Answers ]

Toyota Corolla 2002 I went on vacation for two weeks (car sat in driving for the duration). After I came back I noticed that every time I make a right turn I hear this grinding noise. The noise seems to be consistent with the speed (i.e. if my speed is fast then the grinding noise is fast). I...

Dryer Making Strange Noise [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My GE Electric Dryer is making a strang "ching-ching" noise with each rotation. But there is nothing in the clothes that would explain this noise. (It is doing this with every load). It is drying the clothes fine, but the noise is very loud and annoying. What is wrong?

Pipes Making Noise [ 30 Answers ]

I have read some other posts on this forum and have some ideas. However, I will try to be more specific. About every 5-10 minutes there is a clunking noise under our house. Our house was built in 1991 (I think), is a large rambler (3400sqft), and I have total access underneath it. This noise,...

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search