Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sachinhere Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 02:17 AM
    File sharing through wifi router between lappy with PCMCIA wireless -B and wired(eth) PC
    HI

Can I network my laptop (with external PCMCIA wireless B controler ) and hard wired PC both running XP SP2 and connected to same wifi router (beetel 450bxi adsl). I use ehernet for PC and wifi card for laptop to connect to internet using the same router mentioned above.
    I want to share files btwn the two without using another ethernet cable connecting laptop to the router. (I know how to do this using router and 2 ethernet cables)
    I hope I'm able to express my querry,

Thanks
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Dec 11, 2008, 09:22 AM

Yes you can. Give me some time and I will work out a Sticky and post it the same as the Network Diagnostics.
    theecho Posts: 59, Reputation: 9

Dec 14, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Should be possible if you just setup a network group and have that on both then share the files.

See here:
    Setting up file sharing in Windows XP

Step 1: Make sure both machines are turned on and connected to the network.

Step 2: Make sure both machines have different machine names. You can see your machine name by right clicking on the 'My Computer" icon and selecting "Properties"

Step 3: Make sure both machines are on the same workgroup. This can be what ever you want, just make sure this is the same on all machines on your LAN. You can configure this from the computer name tab accessed in Step 2, or by using the Network Wizard that comes with Windows XP.

Step 4: Enable file sharing. Windows XP disables this by default on some versions. You will need to enable it. When you do (either by hand by right clicking on a directory or hard drive, selecting Properties and then 'Sharing and Security', or by running the Network Wizard), you might be asked if you want to use "Simple File Sharing" or more advanced file sharing. Windows XP Home only supports simple file sharing normally. XP Pro supports both kinds, but recommends the Simple File Sharing. Simple sharing is less secure but easier to manage. It simplifies security by letting you say that anyone on your network can either read the share or have 'full access' to the share. Generally you want read-only.

Some notes: Windows XP will try to enable the 'Internet Connection Firewall'. You do not need to let it do this if you have a router, as this will actually block file sharing from working. Only do this IF you are directly connected to the Internet without going through a router/firewall. (All modern cable/dsl routers from e.g. Linksys, DLink, and others come with built in firewalls).

Simple file sharing is the easiest for a simple home LAN. If you have a more complicated LAN with multiple users, you can turn it off on Windows XP Pro, and instead use 'Access Control List' based file sharing. This requires that you set up user accounts on machines and manage files on a per user, or user-group basis.

Step 5: To share a file, printer, folder, or drive, right click on it and select 'Sharing...'. This will let you enter the name for the share. To test the share, open an explorer window and type in \\localhost\sharename where 'sharename' is the name you specified for the file share. Then, go to another machine on your LAN, open an explorer window and type a similar test: \\computername\sharename where 'computername' is the name of the computer (configured when you set up your network), and 'sharename' is the name you gave the share.

Step 6: On another computer on the LAN besides the one you're sharing, go to "Network Neighbourhood" and browse your workgroup. You should be able to see the share there.

Step 7: Mounting a network drive: You can mount a network drive by selecting "Map Network Drive... " under the "Tools" menu in an explorer window (not Internet Explorer, normal Windows Explorer). This will let you set up a drive letter, give you a place to enter the network path, and a checkbox to have it automatically connect on bootup if you prefer. This just makes a shortcut so you don't have to type \\computername\sharename all the time instead
    Source: Guide To Setting up file sharing in Windows XP - Hardware Canucks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wired router to wireless? [ 25 Answers ]

Hey everyone I have a wired router Netgear DG834 v3. I have my xbox and my computer plugged into this. However, I am purchasing a laptop and was wondering if there was anything I can buy to make this router wireless so I can use my laptop around the house?I don't want to purchase a new router...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Wireless File Sharing [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am going crazy. I've been working on connecting my two home computers wirelessly via a D-Link DIR-655 router (300 mpbs). Both computers also have a TrendNet 2.0 USB adapter (300 mpbs). I did the SSID and passphase via the Router and both computers recognized the Network Connection - so I...

File sharing in ad hoc wireless network [ 5 Answers ]

My two systems are connected through wireless network.both show as STATUS CONNECTED.now my connection is how to share files between them?

File Sharing on a Wireless Network [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings to All!:) I am trying to share files amongst 3 computers (one is a laptop). The main computer is connected to the internet directly to a cable modem. The other 2 (laptop & my son's computer) connect to the internet via a wireless connection. All this was setup by someone we paid to...

View more questions Search