Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Jan 4, 2009, 06:10 PM

So far you have not given any ways to solve the problem Andrew. (and others)

There have been a very few suggestions on how to improve the system and some of those exist already. (5yr cap & work placement classes.) It's too bad we can't enforce birth control, yet who's to say who can have children? Good parenting/bad parenting runs in all classes of society.

There are a huge numere of factors involved in this huge system.

I think we should also get the rich and the government off "welfare" too

I still wonder who will serve your next fast food meal or clean your motel room toilet. Or serve the military. The "pool" comes from somewhere you know.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 4, 2009, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyLady View Post
    Would you like to cut off welfare progrms? Why?
    How would you go about doing this?
    Would you like to cut off welfare programs?
    Yes- those that do not involve children, and for people who CHOOSE not to work. (not counting the disabled)

Why? Because I have a problem with my tax dollars funding the drug runners that are sure to proposition my children into meth crack, and God knows what else.

Because I have a problem with my tax dollars funding people who are just to lazy to work.

How would you go about doing this?
    Stop writing the checks.

Now, to address the rest of your post:
    I don't think I ever said I had a problem with helping people who are trying. (i.e. working, be it at a McDonalds, or Motel 6)

I don't go back on what I say, I'm aware I said "welfare is a complete waste of tax dollars". Perhaps that was somewhat of an overstatement, however I will say at least 80% of it is.

And I want you to know shadylady that my blood BOILED when both canidates for the presidency backed that STUPID BANK BAILOUT. And I was equally as disgusted with the AUTO BAILOUT. In fact, it was what prompted me to vote third party for the first time in my life. So my feelins ain't just for the poor.

If you (shadylady) are, or know someone who is on assistance, then I hope you are not taking my thoughts on this personal. I do not know you, nor your situation. Perhaps you (or your friend) are one of the few who are really trying.

Maybe you are not on assistance, perhaps you just have a big heart and can't imagine why someone like me would feel the way I do. If that be the case, I wish you could be in my shoes on some of these warm summer Saturday nights in this area "across the rail road tracks" and seen some of the ____ I've seen go down around here.

Was welfare the direct cause? Doubtful, I understand that. But there is more that comes with a job that money, dignity, respect, a desire to better yourself. All these come with a job. Be it a 60k per year office job, or flipping burgers. It's about being independent, and making a living with your own two hands.

I know some, like the mother of (insert number here) are doing the best they can. And being a good parent IS a full time job.

I guess the simple answer is, there is no answer. Some of those who abuse the system do not share my mentality. They feel it is there right for me to take care of them, and it's my duty to do so. For them, a day at a "job" is a wasted day. For me, a day at home doing nothing is "a wasted day". I guess its all in the character of the person.

Jan 4, 2009, 06:59 PM
    And let me clear up this would be conflict in what I said:

"Andrew, how can you say this...."
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    Would you like to cut off welfare programs?
    Yes- those that do not involve children, and for people who CHOOSE not to work. (not counting the disabled)
    "...when you also say this..."

I don't think I ever said I had a problem with helping people who are trying. (i.e. working, be it at a McDonalds, or Motel 6)

"What is someone is "really trying" who doesn't happen to have kids?"

Answer: If you have no kids, then it is MUCH easier to make it, having children is very expensive. If you don't have kids, you can work as many jobs you want, and have the most flexible schedule. I'm not convinced that anyone of sound mind and body (not disabled) who doesn't have minor children should require assistance.

There are millions of things you can do aside from your day job at McDonalds, or Motel 6. Cut grass, split wood, walk dogs, paint, work at temp agencies... the list goes on...

Jan 4, 2009, 07:07 PM
    But enough about me. I'm obvioulsy digging myself into a hole here... how would you solve the problem?
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 4, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Maybe you are not on assistance, perhaps you just have a big heart and can't imagine why someone like me would feel the way I do. If that be the case, I wish you could be in my shoes on some of these warm summer Saturday nights in this area "across the rail road tracks" and seen some of the ____ I've seen go down around here.
    Growing up in Gary, Indiana I know EXACTLY what you are talking about only it's nit just on warm summer Saturday nights ;). The welfare abuse here is beyond belief. It's not uncommon to be behind a woman at the grocery store, see her pay with food stamps only to watch her get into her brand new Cadillac.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 08:09 PM

Yep one woman I know got sect 8 sold drugs and then bought a hummer and a house and has her daughter and grand baby living in the sect 8 house.

Jan 5, 2009, 01:23 AM

Fraud investigation has come a long way since I worked at the State office. Centralized computers are now sharing information to ferret out fraud. It all takes time.
    If you know of someone who is committing fraud and are pissed about it then you should pick up the phone and report them. Give the address and any other info you have. If you see them driving an expensive car, tell them the license number. There is a dollar limit on what a car is worth to qualify for assistance.
    There is a whole separate unit called "Fraud Investigation" that does nothing but fact-finding. Part of the problem is people don't tell them.
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 5, 2009, 02:04 AM
    My house burned and I had to go live in a shelter with my baby. The father is disabled and can't work. I was pregnant 7 monthes with my 2nd so I had to take maturnity leave. So I went on welfare. I met an interesting breed of people, welfare community. I became close to a girl there and we stayed friends after I was able to get on my feet and get out of there. Welfare helped at my time of need. When I was able to, I got off welfare.
    Hanging out with my new friend bought to light some of the mentality that a large % of welfare receiptient possess.
    I now have 4 beautiful children (all by same father) and am in need once more. I have a full time job. I don't use drugs or even drink. I've been denied welfare and medicaid this time becauseI couldn't take the time out of work enough times to complete the application process in time. Because I am not willing to lose my job, I can now barely pay rent or bills, I go hungry everyday so I can make sure my kids have enough to eat.
    I than see these fat crack heads sitting at home playing video games and/or loitering the streets with skinny almost malnutritioned kids running around, and I know those regridgerators are empty because they've sold their food stamps for drug money. And I wonder, WHY!! why do they get the help that I need. I work so hard, they don't even try ! How come it's so much easier for these kinds of people to get help?

I say, Welfare - YES with random drug screening, and a job!
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 5, 2009, 03:08 AM
    I agree also that able bodies should work. Even with the recession there are plenty to do.
    I get assistance for my children to be in daycare, of course I'd rather stay home playing with my babies but I rather not teach my kids that this is the way to live. I want them to see mommy working and doing her best to contribute to the working community. But even with the daycare help I still have to pay out 50% of my income to send them. And this is after the 75% tuition that I get help with. That leaves me with not enough to pay rent, forget about electric and water. I've learned to be resourceful, seeking help from churches and other organizations. But I can't do this much longer. I am 20 lbs. underweight and go hungry everyday. I see my kids for 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening before bedtime. I don't have cable but have been donated a TV and VCR and going on sites that give away free things from individuals that don't want them anymore, such as VHS tapes for the kids.
    My point is that I'm struggling and welfare knows it, but the only choice they give me is to be jobless in order receive help. What kind of sense is that?
    I want to say tax the rich but what about the rich that actually have to put in hard physical work? Do those exist? I myself work behind a computer all day and so my job has also supplied me with a computer and internet at home, or else I wouldn't have this either.
    My pig of a boss has suggested to me multiple of time that I should go dance or be his personal assistance to be able to support my family. Yuck. Creep.
    I will apply again for welfare tomorrow.
    For those that are bitter about their tax $ that I will have part in using (once I get accepted). Maybe you can put your mind at ease knowing that it's not all going to useless, lazy, fat*ss drug addicts. There are, I'm sure many good cause cases out there as well as bad.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 02:35 AM

I was at a hospital, while there a person comes into the E.R. didn't seem sick. He's checked out given aspirin for his headache. I asked an ER nurse, "what was that all about"? She said that was one one the regulars and needed more aspirin. She told me they way the Medical card works is it covers Emergency's 100% and its so Abused

I thought wow that cost the Tax papers what? $ 500+ to U.S. working stiffs.
    I thought , Why is the system so broken?

Ah! Medical establishment receives 100s of Millions from the medical cards patience that have no job or insurance and uses the E.R. to drive Welfare costs up for non emergency's Saw that same person days later on the street doing the deal.

So Welfare is also a supplemental income check for the drug dealers and the cash workers. Explains a lot of Expensive sneakers and outfits.

I also came up with Welfare is a double problem in itself. It helps create Babies to be on welfare too. ( not everybody)

It's a human nature thing. No Job, Close to broke. A lot of time on your hands so, What can I do that's cheap/free and will make me feel good and its legal... SEX!

Its well documented when a town has a blizzard and people can't go to work for a day or more that 9 Months later the local hospital will have a surge of babies. The hospital will actually monitor this to be ready.

When a couple/person works hard and child or not, will have a lot less time or opportunity to have Sex period. The old saying " Not tonight honey I'm tired" seems to apply here.

'What's the simple odds of a couple or a single person relaxing while on vacation. More rested and have more Sex with there partner (kids or not) or would like to enjoy tax free fun. ( I know all my friends do like me married or not ) I would be curious how many couples conceive on a weekend or on a vacation.

We have a habitual welfare takers male and female alike having ALL the time in the world to be rested enough for some anytime Sex. ( this doesn't apply to all but it applies to too many)

Look at the large numbers of children with career welfare parent(s)

So the side effect from welfare in its self, can create problems and feeds on itself to create more Welfare in the future. A child see this, and con easily think this is how to live and perceives it to be NORMAL, inadvertently passive child abuse. ( again not all but to many)

Last summer I was talking to a city police officer and he had an arrest were the person had THREE welfare checks in his wallet. NY. NJ. Pa. The officer called NY. They said oh can't really do anything about it. I bet if you called the I R S on someone cheating on taxes or tax fraud the Gov IRS wouldn't say, ohh... Theres even a hot line for that.

So to ask oneself here what's going on Gov.

1. The medical field is now so tied into it for income. ( I can't afford 100% health Care)
    2. WE can't pick on the welfare person because it might start a racial thing.
    3. We don't want other countries to think we have starving people like the third world countries. ( although it looks like that Now with the bloodshed and the trashed streets and Steel bars on many windows.

Ever notice how we say " The streets are getting bad in that area" How can that be unless it has potholes. We dare not say " "There's some bad people down there" Its to direct toward someone. The funny thing is when I work in those neighborhoods the people complain and worded it " There's some bad people in this neighborhood" They know it. I'm there and I feel bad for them and now the house value went down instead of up and they really get trapped.

How to predict when the next Surge of welfare in an area is coming. Just like a hospital.
    Example Detroit school district 11. in Detroit, where only 21.7 students graduate and 47 percent in Metro Detroit -- nearly one of out of every two adults -- is functionally illiterate. According to a government report, "The State of Literacy in America." In fact, national studies suggest Detroit's illiteracy rate is the highest among major American cities. According to a 2002 United Nations report, Detroit falls short even when compared to developing Third World nations, such as Cuba, which has 2.7 percent illiteracy rate. In Ecuador, 7 percent of adults can't read, and in El Salvador, 18.9 percent of adults.

This is becoming such a big problem and so much so the welfare will be one of biggest industry in the U.S. You think the bail outs are expensive now! Correlate Welfare and education attitudes in the fast rising hoods and then punch these habitual welfare generations that get arrested and now cost us again $ 90,000.00 per year for one person in jail.

I have been saying for YEARS. Police/audit Welfare recip. Drug Test to Qualify for a Gov paycheck. After so long on welfare you must sign up for a Gov sponsored GED or a Gov sponsored Job training program. Obviously some won't get it But by simple numbers if x amount of ones hopefully be elevated and not feeling trapped, has skills it's a win for them and tax payers. It's a numbers game pay not Or 10 fold next generation of welfare babies.

It would be real interesting to see how much in welfare could be saved buy policing it and turn that savings to a better use then throwing gas into the fire.

Welfare has its place and its good we have it BUT It needs TOTALLY restructured.

The same thing happened to that effect in Jackson Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina. I was damage assessment for the Red Cross, drove 4 out of the 5 counties there looking at damage assessment claims filled out by the actual people that live there making a claim to RED CROSS. Sadly I could only help out about 5% of the claims. The rest were Bogus! I even flew down on my own ticket No expanse to Red Cross or the Donations they got from the all very generous giving working people. I'm a contractor that thought I would try to help out someone in a big pinch Been there myself I know how it feels.

You think Welfare is big now wait and see 20 years from now!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    I have been saying for YEARS. Police/audit Welfare recip. Drug Test to Qualify for a Gov paycheck. After so long on welfare you must sign up for a Gov sponsored GED or a Gov sponsored Job training program.
    Hello boat:

Do YOU have to be DRUG tested for YOUR government handout?? What? You don't take government handouts?? Oh, I see. You just change the name of your handout from welfare to a tax deduction...

THEN it's COOL to line up at the government cash window, if you can fool yourself into thinking the handout YOU'RE getting AIN'T welfare...

Well, DUDE! It IS welfare, and you can't fool me.

Do you own a home?? Do you get to deduct your interest from your income?? WHY?? I don't own a home. I don't get to deduct my RENT.. WHY do YOU get MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT when I can't??

Plus, I think interest deductions causes babies. Oh, it's a proven fact that when people don't have to work a second job to make up for the interest deduction they're NOT getting, they don't have time to screw as much as you rich folks.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I see. You just change the name of your handout from welfare to a tax if you can fool yourself into thinking the handout YOU'RE getting AIN'T welfare.... deduction.... Do you own a home??? Do you get to deduct your interest from your income???? WHY??? I don't own a home. I don't get to deduct my RENT.. WHY do YOU get MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT when I can't???? Plus, I think interest deductions causes babies. Oh, it's a pr oven fact that when people don't have to work a second job to make up for the interest deduction they're NOT getting, they don't have time to screw as much as you rich folks. I don't own a home. I don't get to deduct my RENT.. WHY do YOU get MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT when I can't????
    The highlighted are shows you obviously missed the point and taking it to far out of context. It must be nice to be verbatim and not understanding the nuances or general gist. It either is or isn't for you. It would be nice if it were that easy. My post even stated ( NOT ALWAYS) but the averages are addressed.

So is it taxes they take out of your paycheck or do they just deduct money from your paycheck and call it taxes.

Did you forget basic math. There are NO handouts unless someone works or somehow rich and pays taxes. The overall government doesn't make a dime, and yet its one of the biggest employer in the U.S..

I came from a poor family. I lived in a finished attic with two brothers and me at my mean grandmothers tiny house. Mom left my Drunk dad in the middle of the night.
    My mom met my new dad a year or so after he got out of the service. Not only that My real dad never sent us a dime to help us kids! My new dad couldn't get a TAX BREAK because are last names were different than cna't claim us as dependents!

So don't preach to me about TAX BRAKES. I wore ALL hand me downs. The first night we spent at the rented house (12 years) was My mom and my new dad Honeymoon night! ALL of us in sleeping bags In the new rented house and mom and dad on each side of us. We moved halfway across state and when we got what little furniture My new dad had it was SPARSE. The card table was the kitchen table and you literally had to put your Knee under the one end metal scissors lock to keep it from collapsing. Mom cooked 1001 to make SPAM. Also it was water with carnation instant milk to give it the appearance it was milk.
    I grew up and RENTED also. I didn't get a TAX BREAK. I worked 1 full time job and one par time job during the week and the weekend was another PART time Job. No tax break yet and paying a lot of taxes on those 3 jobs! MY dad while growing WORKED a part time job above his full time job to feed us kids and NO WELFARE!! We had no TV for YEARS and used when we got one. I see welfare kids with T.V. and SAGAS.

You asked do I own a home, you BET I BUSTED MY BUTT Getting NO TAX brakes to do so.

My daughters also RENT, They don't get a TAX break either. They are smart enough at 22 to realize to get a HOUSE they either change jobs or get a part time job and hope to save enough to BUY a house.

Apparently you missed that in word association. What, you think every Tom and Sue reaches 18 and boom a house is born for them. HARD WORK is how its DONE in the U.S. That's what created our industries and put men on the moon, in case you missed something

You asked do I own a home you BET I BUSTED MY BUTT Getting NO TAX brakes to do so.
    We had no TV for YEARS and used when we got one. I see welfare kids with T.V. and SAGAS. ON WELFARE. I even bought rentals after that No help from GOV. I PAID MY DUES!

My daughters also RENT, What you think nobody rents but you rents, They don't get a TAX break either. They are smart enough at 22 to realize to get a HOUSE they either change jobs or get a part time job and hope to save enough to BUY a house.

Apparently you missed that in word association. What you think every Tom and Sue reaches 18 and boom a house is born for them. HARD WORK is how its DONE in the U.S. That created out industry and put men on the moon, in case you missed something here.

I think you need educated on taxes and how property's and rentals property works in a city or anywhere here in the U.S. For example a city mil tax in large is based on what it needs to operate the city, It weighs what the fed gives it and what it needs to collect in property tax and the occupation tax along with business paying etc to balance its long term budgets. A LARGE part of that comes from TAXES of ALL properties period, rental of not. ( the structures)

Property Tax is based on its assessed value by neighborhoods and areas it was built in

So here is x property assessed at $100k and is a location is in a good part of the City. The owner pays the TAX'S on that property through rents or why own it. He also pays to the City a percentage on his income from that property, indirectly or directly if that's all he has for income. And pays it to that city/township.

Now that property in time should go up in value. If there is another re assessment by county etc the tax will go up on its higher assessed value $120 K. The city gets more money on that property if its re assessed.

But the neighborhood starts to change after that, More trash on the streets and walks/ Graffiti and now Drugs, more crime and welfare thrives there now. So the rentals gets LESS money because of gettorizing. The landlord has hard time now paying the properties assessed Tax value that was done 5 or 10 years ago. He now makes less profit and city gets less out of that % of his income. The property needs more repair because of that moved into that block(S) are tearing it up. He makes even less money because of abnormal wear and tear. He's in a rock and a hard place. Now he's just waiting for someone to sell near him so he can document a "comparable" to use as a new base to lower his value on that property. He goes to the assessment office/hearing to present his case with a comparable so it can be re assessed back to a lower value to help offset the lower rents it gets because of that block is now ghettoized.

Now the domino effect also is the city needs to hire more police to try and hold back the crime and killings in that block(s) 20 years ago us was a whole different type of people there. So MORE TAXES is need to pay for THAT. Now the county JAIL needs more employees. You can use WELFARE to track down where the worst part of towns are. Look at where the Highest amount of Welfare is sent in a city density to By address etc and there you will find What I just talked about. This isn't up for debate it simple facts and math. Don't use a factory layoff to prove otherwise. Its over time averages.

You asked do I own a home you BET I BUSTED MY BUTT Getting NO TAX brake to do so.
    We had no TV for YEARS and used when we got one. I see welfare kids with T.V. and SEGAS. ON WELFARE.

My daughters also RENT, What you think nobody rents but you rents, They don't get a TAX break either. They are smart enough at 22 to realize to get a HOUSE they either change jobs or get a part time job and hope to save enough to BUY a house.

Tom and Sue reaches 18 and boom a house is born for them. HARD WORK is how its DONE in the U.S. That created out industry and put men on the moon, in case you missed something here.
    .Do the math here Excon. A percentage of rent you PAY is effected because of Welfare and it ain't betting smaller in checks going out. Probably never will. Now matter how you slice it, MONEY is MONEY and it has to come from someone.

Some people CHOOSE to rent their whole life. The money I have or don't have is not based on tax deductions is based on butt kicking work. I didn't wallow about not getting a tax break from the Years I rented or use semantics to make excuses to myself as to why or why not I didn't get anywhere. We all make our own choices bottom line. No one held a gun to our heads. I grew up POOR and made a Choice to change that no matter what it took. I talk to some of the landlords that grew up in the hoods, they will tell you the same things Ive been saying here. Butt kicking work pays off. They are now landlords cussing at there own people. There on the other end and realizing how hard it is to collect there rents etc. Bottom line is You make your own bed and you lie in it. That's daily life, some are lucky and others have bad luck. The challenge is make it work.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Hello again, 21:

So, you DO take the handout then, don't you? Then you justify getting it with your rant above... It's cool. I don't blame you. NOBODY is going to walk away from the government cash window.

I just wondered why you think you shouldn't be drug tested before you got YOUR handout. But, I guess if you bust your butt to get your handout, you don't have to be drug tested.

I understand now.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2009, 05:02 PM

LOL Most of the people that I was in line with for hand outs made it a full time career AND the biggest crack heads you can imagine

Feb 10, 2009, 01:06 AM

Would you rather a million dollars of taxpayer money go to re-decorating some executive's office or helping approximately 400 people for 5 years?

Would you rather your tax dollars be spent helping Americans or be sent to foreign countries to develop THEIR programs?

Yes there is fraud. And through the years safeguards get put in place to reduce welfare fruad. The system also relies on public information and cooperation, which often doesn't happen.

Yet where are the priorities when it comes to using American tax dollars? Why do tapayers pay $6 million to move a new president into the white house?

Why isn't the American Public given a breakdown of where our tax dollars are spent? Not just a "pie chart", but an actual list for whoever asks.

It's always about management of money, and just who is it that has control of it by the way? Politics & business are run by men. Their favorite game is war, not helping women. Children, the elderly, or the disabled.

The money going to welfare programs is a drop in the bucket compared to the other places it's going. Still, at least it's benefitting a large group of human beings.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Two Excellent Views hear I'm impressed!! Not only does this show the Welfare system is broken, it reflects other ways our Government is not doing a good Job policing themselves.

Another big Way Welfare abuse can effect us.

We are heading down the wrong road when our city streets look like third world countries with all the trash/crime/murders/ defacing public property. This Is NOT what I Want America to visually look like or live in worrying about a stray bullet killing my child my wife or me while walking down the street. Look at what happened in the last 50 years.

As our country grew I feel we ignored this too much as it was happening. We generally thought oh those people live across town and we will let them shoot each other. Well dumb science. We forgot simple math and just buy higher Welfare births rates the it was only going to get worse. This is now Consuming our great cities and ruining our way in our U.S. cities and towns, Just compare it from 20 or 50 years ago. How many of the people in the U.S. has been killed in our city streets. Its an actual WAR ZONE. Welfare does effect this and help promote it At times I see Welfare like a warning label on a medicine. MAY CURE the illness but may kill the body the illness is in. Especially if the pill is ABUSED and not taken correctly and monitored.

We simply need to figure out a SAFER way to prescribe the pill and not kill the neighborhoods.

I like to see the study of our prisoners in jail and see how many of them were on WELFARE when arrested or how often they received Welfare in and out of jail. The average prisoner cost us $90,000.00 a year to feed and house them. Another different form of welfare. So how do they deserve a TAX BREAK. I would like to see the studies on how many of our prisoners grew up on Welfare. And how many that get out will be on welfare the rest of there lives.

Excon As far as tax breaks Yes anybody busting there Butt at there BASIC capabilities and Tries to contribute into the system to become a good Stewart of this country deserves the slice of the pie. Even a person on welfare TRYING to bust there butt to get off it and trying RISE themselves to be a more productive human. In turn they become a better American citizen and an good asset to there community by example. That's all that's basically asked here.

It starts from the basic farmer in the field so we can EAT with the garbage man to pick up our food trash to the rocket scientist. All of these people and all between that is what this country needs and has and that's what helped us become a World leader. ALL Busting their Butts. The other part of society of habitual career Welfare recipients ROB from the system. Just on a side note I would like to see how many of them volunteered At a soup kitchen or just pickup the trash up in front of where they Live. Being poor is not a license to physically TRASH the streets. That's a direct sign they are LAZY and most likely will Abuse the system and don't even care about there neighbor hood, Of course for some the trash on the streets is normal from where they come from and can't get it that other Americans in general Hate to see there cities TRASHED!

So what are the odds here about caring to get a job. I see to many Welfare people not so to lazy on going to the local bar and take out a six pack or quart and the leave the trash or bottle lay in the streets or on someone's porch railing or in there little front yard, How lazy is THAT.

Excon If I used your approach to TAX break getting a deductions then you better SCREAM at ALL WELFARE recipients that get a Medical card and food stamps and welfare check.

That's the BIGGEST TAX BREAK ONE CAN RECEIVE Is WELFARE! So before you start picking on the working class pick on the career habitual welfare people and start from the ground up.

One of the best Stories and EXAMPLE of what Welfare can do is read compsavvyimnoton I almost got tears when I read her post. She is a true stand up American that helps to make this Country GREAT. Its about Mentally and physically trying to be a good Stewart as a human being.

Simply try your best and don't be LAZY.The women that life's circumstances beat her and her family up and she ROSE to and became a good Stewart to her, her kids and family. Got off welfare and is trying to stay off that. That is exactly what Welfare is for. TO give another chance to start in life. Not just sit there 10 years later and nothing changes...

"The money going to welfare programs is a drop in the bucket compared to the other places it's going. Still, at least it's benefiting a large group of human beings." hear is how the welfare drop in the bucket Hurt NY city. Some History on Welfare relating to what I'm talking about. And related articles.

Goldberg v. Kelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Fiscal crisis in 1975 taught New York hard lessons of chopping, freezing that are handy now
    FindLaw | Cases and Codes

To a point I agree, But we thought the other side of town was a drop in the bucket. Add the numbers in Welfare add the Medical cards cost. Add and how it sets up free time on the streets to get in trouble and get sucked into it. Harder to do when you work a full time job and it takes time to set up deals. Now add that residual of the Welfare holders that now go to prison and cost us daily about $250.00 a day per person.

Now add this "Yep one woman I know got sect 8 sold drugs and then bought a hummer and a house and has her daughter and grand baby living in the sect 8 house." "

Add the multiplies of the generations of Welfare Birth rates. Add the added strain on the cities policing because of MORE welfare babies being born into Welfare and they to many times do as the see. Add the extra load form that to prison housing costs, project that 10 or 20 years from now! It gets REAL serious down the road. We can adjust deductions on Gov. We adjust or cut programs. But try adjust making it harder to get Welfare and see who screams the most.

ShadyLady "Fraud investigation has come a long way since I worked at the State office. Centralized computers are now sharing information to ferret out fraud. It all takes time." Part of the problem is people don't tell them. I hope they get quicker on that. Remember I said in my las post the city officer called NY about the arrested person with THREE Welfare checks. The Spanish community uses pet names and nick names a lot. Just 10 to 15 or so years in P.R. there was hardly mailboxes at there houses. You find a person many times on there nickname. If its used here hard to trace names that are so identical.

compsavvyimnot
    And I wonder, WHY !!, why do they get the help that I need. I work so hard, they don't even try ! How come it's so much easier for these kinds of people to get help?

Not to be a joke here but the experts on how to get welfare is in the hood areas and how that works is many seem to have 3 generations in that schooling. Oops maybe wrong hear, 4 generations alive and 5 sometimes still living,
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Thats the BIGGEST TAX BREAK ONE CAN RECEIVE Is WELFARE!! So before you start picking on the working class pick on the career habitual welfare people and start from the ground up.
    Hello again, 21:

I'm not picking on you. I'm simply pointing out that you line up at the cash window just like everybody else does. What? You think I don't??

The difference between us, is that I don't think anybody in line at the cash window, is any better than anyone else.

You, however, think you somehow DESERVE the handout you get, because you work hard. But the handout received by poor people isn't deserved.

I don't get that, but it's not news... Everybody who gets a check from the government thinks HE deserves it, and the OTHER guy doesn't. Nope, that's not news at all.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
    I'm simply pointing out that you line up at the cash window just like everybody else does.
    Hi Excon I don't feel you are picking on me at all. You are simply using the freedom of speech we have in the U.S. We are lucky to live here!

ALL the views here have some good points yours also. Its all good to kick it around. I think the diff from your approach and mine is how you get to the window. I don't lump a tax break as a handout.

In simple logic if I put Money in the basket and get a fraction back later its not a true handout in the sense of the word. A handout is when you don't put money in the basket or so little you take more than what you put in. "The free beer party moocher that never brings any beer or food." That's becomes a Handout.

I just think you are trying to use word play to prove a point. Its taken to far to fit right.

Its like saying don't you think everyone deserve to breathe.

Lets try to get the chicken and the egg here. The Govs money is basically All tax money. So that meas in simple math If I pay TAXES and get a TAX break it was My money to begin with I worked for and paid in. I have just on one 4 unit city property I pay $5,400.00 in Taxes a year on that's $162.000.00 in 30 years with out a tax hike. Add my paycheck taxes to that. I'm self employed. That automatically means I pay Double in taxes. So look at your paycheck and take DOUBLE out of that. If you make 40k and ruffly pay $6,000.00 taxes. I pay $12,000.00 on that same 40k. I know about the tax window and what little I get back.

There's many people at the cash window that's better then the other person at the same cash window. TOO much Fraud is at the cash window. Read the one post here of Section 8 with the .

I understand you saying everybody is the same at the cash window. I agree until it comes to the welfare Fraud at that window or the lazy Habitual user, which is hurting the next person in line that NEEDS help for many Valid reasons.

I'm pretty sure That's the general gist here. I will NEVER be against Welfare for the legitimate person. I'm having problems of me BUSTING my Butt working in the Welfare Neighborhoods and there they sit. Young mom 16 to 20+ pregnant again too diff guys no man around and living at home with mom and dad and them not working also. The strong young men and women just coasting on welfare.

Siting there and TRASH everywhere most likely from them and I see them throw it on the ground. So there they are collecting and using my TAXES and I have to look at them wandering around all week long and physically trashing What's MY City TOO.

I do re haps on rentals I KNOW what its all about after 30 yeas of seeing how Welfare is Abused and grown. I'm sick and tired of it to the point I would like to make a documentary on it to PROVE there is a society problem and its NOT a social economical problem. Too many of these Welfare neighborhoods are one of the biggest cost in crime by footprint. They do more damage physically and run more blocks than can be imagined.

Also a big effect on Welfare is the illiteracy crisis we have in the cities. You think the 78% of the kids in Detroit that quit school or didn't graduate are going to be able to get a real job! "hey mom and dad and my friends are on Welfare why should I graduate and work. I will just get Welfare easier than working for the Man and do some deals"
    Is it no wonder that 47% of Detroit metro is illiterate. Not a lot going on there. Gee wander how many of them have used or is still on Welfare!

How's mom and dad that's been on Welfare for YEARS going to tell there kids, What! Get a job son or daughter!! Huh!

This is not an social economical problem that's been so coined so as to to offend a group of people. Its simply a social problem of how one lives. That would be fine if it was to IMO ROVE the value of the neighborhood or maintain its value. Not turning it into a third world city.

It's a basic fact in Life. When you WORK for things you appreciate those things more and other people things more if you are normal. That applies to the regular Joe and the working rich. How do you think the rich stay rich. What trashing the street and where they live!

We used to call those people BUMS and now its not politically correct. Sorry to MANY are just plain BUMS!!

Feb 10, 2009, 11:02 PM

Many states have now initiated a 5 year cap on welfare. Not only is this a message to what you call Welfare "bums", but the main goal is a deterrant to teenage pregnancy and future welfare applicants.

I think I mentioned before. An ideal society is in your mind NO WELFARE. If there were suddenly no welfare, imagine how many state workers would lose their jobs. The state worker who makes 5 times what a recipient gets.

I also mentioned mismanagement of taxpayer's dollars. What about our dollars going to foreign countries? 10 Billion per month going to re-build Iraq, for example. Millions going to foreign countries to provide abortions and birth control.

The problem with the Welfare system is that the government ENCOURAGES it. They hand out checks without providing any incentive to get off welfare. Why don't they provide schooling, job training, or other programs? Why is it that when a person gets a job they only provide child care for one year? A parent working a minimum wage simply cannot afford child care expenses.

Why can't the government supplement a family after they go to work?

The system sets these people up for failure. Why? It is part of the "social strata". They need to maintain certain classes in a working society, and the poor become the scapegoat for the average taxpayer. This diverts the focus off of governmental tax dollar waste. It works, doesn't it?

I still would like to know where the figures of $90,000 per inmate are obtained.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Excon,Hello boat:
    Do YOU have to be DRUG tested for YOUR government handout????? What? You don't take government handouts??? Oh, I see. You just change the name of your handout from welfare to a tax deduction....
    Do you own a home??? Do you get to deduct your interest from your income???? WHY??? I don't own a home. I don't get to deduct my RENT.. WHY do YOU get MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT when I can't????
    Shadylady
    What about our dollars going to foreign countries? 10 Billion per month going to re-build Iraq, for example. Millions going to foreign countries to provide abortions and birth control.
    " Judy Kay Tee disagrees: Again, could you PLEASE stick to the topic?"

Judy Kay Tee I was sticking to the topic and also answering Excons questions. My post, weather you consider them Rants or not was about welfare in the U.S. and what residual effects it has in The U.S. and how it relates to welfare . Or what it could effect.

Part of my " not sticking to topic " was answering Expert Excon Direct Questions to me and I gave examples and history as to where my thoughts came from. I felt he deserved and answer to his direct questions to Me . Not to mention Excon is labeled as an Expert and I respect his thoughts and questions as others posters Here. I don't agree on some of the things he posted, but I didn't rate his comments. Excon also posted "I hope you don't think I'm picking on you." which is very admirable and respectable to say the least.

Judy Kay Tee, Shadylady one post mentions about the war in Iraq and foreign country's which is way off the subject Of Welfare in the U.S. And yet you give me a disagree about not sticking to the topic. How does that work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Welfare [ 1 Answers ]

Specifically, how are the "ordinary needs" of legitimate Welfare recipients determined? In other words, how are these decisions made?

Welfare Fraud [ 2 Answers ]

I have been convicted of welfare fraud. Yes it is true, i did commit this crime. I never thought it was this serious. I always thought if they paid you too much money you had to pay them back. I never knew you could go to jail for this. They are a lot of people that commit this same crime. Only...

Having to pay for welfare [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, I will try and make this simple... Man gets woman pregnant, NOT married! Man pays child support, in fact has it taken from his work payroll. W.T. woman refuses to work, goes on welfare, D.E.S decides the man should pay the state back for the welfare and tacks it on to the child support total....

Daughters welfare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 17month old daughter and up until January 2007 the mother and I were very close. She is an alcoholic. I have reason to believe that she drinks to cope with some abuse that happened to her, this is a little sketchy though. I would have married her but I found it difficult to cope with...

Bd on welfare [ 1 Answers ]

The father of my children beat me to file custody papers, now even though he does not have full custody. I have my kids every weekend and in the minute order the judge said who ever had the kids at the time supports them. Well he has been on welfare for quite a while now and I just learned that...

View more questions Search