Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    watsoncarter Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 01:28 AM
    Sons sperm donor claims my son for taxes every year
    We have been together for 9 years now,and my sons sperm donor claims him every year.We are not married,but have been together for 9 years and she is the residential parent. My son sees his "person" every tues. and thurs. 5-8 and every other weekend."person" has been court ordered to pay @$70 a week. Needless to say is constantly behind. Can anyone explain to me why I should not be able to claim my son when mom doesn't work and I am sole provider?:confused:
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:01 AM

Because technically you are not the sole provider. The bio doner is providing (in theory) for his support.

The simple solution is to have your girlfriend go to court and have his dependency claim assigned to her. She can then allow you to claim him as a dependent. I am able to claim my girlfriend's son for just this reason.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 05:09 AM

I'm sorry, you let this go on for now 10 years. You provide more than 50% of your child's support and therefore you have a right to claim the child. Unless you had an agreement with the other parent.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 06:35 AM

Quoted from Cadallac59 in another thread:

A motion to modify child support requesting an order on who gets the dependency exemption is all you need. Whoever has the kids greater than 50% of the time gets the dependency exemption as a matter of law unless there is a release, which can be voluntary or ordered by the court. If you have a true 50-50 split on custody, the parent with the higher adjusted gross income (AGI) gets the dependency exemptions unless there is a release.

To me, this means that your girlfriend should be able to claim the kid and not her ex. If the exemption is hers, she can allow you to claim the child as your dependent. IMO, she should get to court and have this put in writing. If not, and the ex claims the child anyway, he will win in the eyes of the IRS because of biology.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by watsoncarter View Post
    We have been together for 9 years now,and my sons sperm donor claims him every year.We are not married,but have been together for 9 years and she is the residential parent. My son sees his "person" every tues. and thurs. 5-8 and every other weekend."person" has been court ordered to pay @$70 a week. Needless to say is constantly behind. Can anyone explain to me why I should not be able to claim my son when mom doesn't work and I am sole provider?:confused:

Go back to Court to enforce child support and while you're there ask the Court to solve the tax problem.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Quoted from Cadallac59 in another thread:

A motion to modify child support requesting an order on who gets the dependency exemption is all you need. Whoever has the kids greater than 50% of the time gets the dependency exemption as a matter of law unless there is a release, which can be voluntary or ordered by the court. If you have a true 50-50 split on custody, the parent with the higher adjusted gross income (AGI) gets the dependency exemptions unless there is a release.

To me, this means that your girlfriend should be able to claim the kid and not her ex. If the exemption is hers, she can allow you to claim the child as your dependent. IMO, she should get to court and have this put in writing. If not, and the ex claims the child anyway, he will win in the eyes of the IRS because of biology.
    I'm flattered to be quoted like that.:)

Like I said the rule on dependency exemptions is easy: the high time (50+%) parent get the exemption as a matter of law unless it's released (there's a form you use for the release, I think its IRS form 8223; I believe it is no longer mandatory but a good idea to use anyway). The court can order a release if it look like it's good for everyone tax-wise but cannot order a tax filing status (like HH/MLA, Joint, Single, MFS). If the timeshare is a true 50-50 split then the dependency exemption goes to the parent with the higher AGI. That's all there is to it.
    LovingMother23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
    I am in a similar situation, and also used to be a tax professional. Legally you are not supposed to claim a child on your income tax return unless the child lives with you more than 50% of the year, and you provide more than 50% of their support. In some cases a custody/support or divorce order will appoint an 'every other year' rule where you will take turns claiming the child. Obviously this man shouldn't be claiming the child. If he is, she should be fighting it, not sitting by for 10 years and allowing it to happen. Take him to court, and file the taxes claiming the son. The IRS will contact you to determine who's return is false and who's is correct. Good luck.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingMother23 View Post
    I am in a similar situation, and also used to be a tax professional. Legally you are not supposed to claim a child on your income tax return unless the child lives with you more than 50% of the year, and you provide more than 50% of their support. In some cases a custody/support or divorce order will appoint an 'every other year' rule where you will take turns claiming the child. Obviously this man shouldnt be claiming the child. If he is, she should be fighting it, not sitting by for 10 years and allowing it to happen. Take him to court, and file the taxes claiming the son. The IRS will contact you to determine who's return is false and who's is correct. Good luck.
    Please watch the dates when posting answers. A lot has changed since 2008. Also its not up to the OP to take the bio father to court as he has no legal standing to do so. Also based upon what has been said the bio father is providing more then 50% of the child's monatary needs as the mother of the child does not work therefore she has no real income of her own. The only income is from that of the husband.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I call him Sperm donor [ 1 Answers ]

Okay my son is 22 months old. My now husband wants to adopt my son. My husband and I dated for 21 months. We have been married almost 3 months. I have not seen the "sperm donor" since I was about 5 months pregnant. My question is how to I go about the adoption and there is no fathers name on the...

My Friend Wants to be our Sperm Donor. [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I are trying to have a baby.. A really good friend of ours wants to help and be our donor.. To protect him and give him ease at mind and to protect us we want papers signed saying he will have no rights to the baby. So that way we can not go after him for child support and he can...

Abandonment by bio sperm donor a possibility? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My situation is tricky, at least to me it is. When I got pregnant with my son 7 years ago, the bio ditched us when I was about 3 months along. I had phone contact with until I was about 7 months along and then nothing. He didn't call to check up on my son till he was 4 months old, at which time...

Using a known sperm donor, how do I protect myself? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the state of California and a friend has offered to "sell" me his sperm, how do I protect my rights and avoid a situation where I risk him wanting parental rights? He is related to my partner, so its not a current fear, but I want to be protected. He has agreed to release his paternal...

Separated Parents - who claims sons? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm still legally married to my husband but we've been separated for more than 8 years. We have 2 sons ages 11 & 12. For years we mutually decide which one of us is going to claim one or both boys. He has been out of touch with me for almost six months. What happens if I claim the boys? If he's...

View more questions Search