Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax_payer_111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Multiple stock trades within a month and wash sale rules
    I bought some stock through employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) on Dec 1st, 2008. I sold these stocks on Dec 5th for a modest profit. Then on Dec 8th I sold some stock from my old ESPP offerings to book long term capital loss. Since I have no long term gains this year, I plan to offset my short term gains using these long term capital losses. But I am worried about wash sale rules, since all these transactions happened within 30 days window.

I believe that I have not violated the spirit of the wash sale rule since the net effect of all these transactions is SELL. Am I right? Do I need to provide any special explanation for these transactions when preparing my taxes next year, or just report short/long term gains/losses in appropriate schedule.

Thanks and have a great day!

Taxpayer
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Based on what you have posted, wash rules do not yet apply.

They WILL apply if you buy stock back within 30 days of your long-term loss sale.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2008, 11:09 PM

A wash sale occurs when you sell or trade stock or securities at a loss and within 30 days before or after the sale you: *Buy substantially identical stock or securities, *Acquire substantially identical stock or securities in a fully taxable trade, or
    *Acquire a contract or option to buy substantially identical stock or securities.

You purchased stocks on Dec 1 and sold in the same month. Unless you buy stocks again within a period, it is not a wash sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wash sale stock [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

Wash Sale on Mutual Fund [ 2 Answers ]

I have shares in VTI and I'm thinking about selling all my shares, take a loss and turn around the same day and buying the mutual fund, Total Stock Market International Index Fund. Would the IRS consider those two funds substantially identical? Would it be considered a wash sale? Thanks,...

Best wash sale SW available? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone used a wash sale SW? If so, please let me know what you think about it. I need a wash sale SW that can caculate various scenarios. I bought and sold a same stock many times this year. One resulted in a loss which fell into a wash sale situation. I want to claim the full loss for...

View more questions Search