Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teach123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable?
    Please give answers, comments and/or explanations for 4th graders to understand.

Thank you
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:12 PM

It is classified as a fruit but used as a vegetable

AskOxford: Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 08:13 PM
    It's a fruit botanically, but a vegetable legally. See Tomato - Wikipedia.
    rose1111 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2008, 10:17 PM

Fruit
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 11:25 PM

Hi, teach123!

If I were to explain this to a group of fourth graders, I would would tell them that because a tomato has seeds inside of it, that in the scientific way of thinking, it's considered to be a fruit. However, for someone who prepares a tomato in some sort of recipe, it's considered, most of the time, to be a vegetable.

Thanks!
    debyrenee Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
    It is a fruit because of the seed thing, but does that make a cucumber a fruit also?
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by debyrenee View Post
    It is a fruit because of the seed thing, but does that make a cucumber a fruit also?
    Hi, debyrenee!

Yes, technically, a cucumber is a fruit also.

Cucumber Fruit or Vegetable - Google Search

Thanks!
    JJCH Posts: 122, Reputation: 7

Jan 26, 2009, 10:41 PM

It is a member of the night shade family of plants, considered a fruit, and was once actually poisoness until it was domesticated.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2009, 04:29 AM

Hi, JJCH!

It would appear that you and I also have more things in common as far as interests are concerned. I'm an avid vegetable and flower gardener; have taken and successfully passed the course to be a Master Gardener and also have been the secretary as well as the president of our local horticulture club.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2009, 08:35 AM

Yes sir! Avid gardner here as well! Including water gardens
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 31, 2009, 07:46 PM

Here is a dictionary definition of a vegetable:
    The edible part of a plant, such as the root of the beet, the leaf of spinach, or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower.

And a dictionary definition of a fruit:
    The ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant, together with accessory parts, containing the seeds and occurring in a wide variety of forms.

A tomato is an edible part of a plant. It is also a ripened ovary which contains seeds. Therefore it is a fruit AND a vegetable.

The answer that works for everything is that vegetables are a complex carbohydrate and fruit is a simple carbohydrate, fruit contains a lot more sugar than vegetables. Therefore fruit is sweet and vegetables are savoury, it's a simple as that.

Noticing the date of your question Teach, you have likely already taught this lesson in your class, but I guess this might be the simple complicated way to teach it! ;)
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCH View Post
    Yes sir! Avid gardner here as well! Including water gardens
    Thanks, JJCH! I'm going to have to remember that! Maybe you could use that run-off in your driveway as another water garden area! LOL! :D

Jan 31, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Thanks, JJCH! I'm going to have to remember that! Maybe you could use that run-off in your driveway as another water garden area! LOL! :D
    I can grow melons there! Lol
    bhanna1 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2009, 06:49 AM
    Just as an interesting aside... I read that the tomatoe had been considered poisonous for hundreds of years because they were being cooked in lead pots whereby the acid dissolved enough of the lead to cause the problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I use in place of vegetable oil? [ 10 Answers ]

Well, the title says it all. My husband and I are having some friends over tonight, and we want to make brownies, but our box version calls for vegetable oil, and we don't have any in the apartment. What can I use in place of it?

Opinioins on indoor vegetable gardens [ 8 Answers ]

Can you share your experience with indoor vegetable gardens? Is it worth the effort? How much time and space does it take? Are the little self contained units worth the expense? What vegetables work best? I'm thinking of dandelion, dark greens and possible a few tomatoes.

My tomato plant won't fruit [ 1 Answers ]

I got a tomato plant late in the season from a big box store and promptly transferred it into a larger container. It gets plenty of sun and I water it regularly. It flowers, but does not fruit. Any ideas?

Kitchen vegetable sprayer is noisy [ 1 Answers ]

[i just put in a faucet with a vegetable sprayer attatachment. Everything works fine. No leaks and water pressure is good. But when I use the vegetable sprayer it makes like a knoking sound like air is trapped. The hot and cold tap water does the same thing for about 15 secounds then stops. ...

View more questions Search