Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rvlec Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Compression test for 1989 ford f-150
    I have a 1989 Ford F-150 pickup with about 350K miles. It needs valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, muffler and other 'odd and ends'. Can I tell, from a compression check of the enging, whether it is worth spending the money on repairs? How hard is it to replace valve cover gaskets? I am an amateur.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2008, 07:33 AM

Yes, it will give you a pretty good idea of the engine's condition--good, basic, fundamental data on the valves and rings. Replacing valve cover gaskets are easy to do. Most of the time will be spent cleaning sealing surfaces.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 13, 2008, 01:11 AM

Compression should be fairly even on all cylinders. One that is really off indicates a bad cylinder. $$$
    If you changed the oil regularly it would help prolong the life of your engine.
    Valve cover gaskets are a few bolts and easy to get to--right on top of the engine. You have to make sure the surfaces are scraped clean before you put the new gaskets on, and use a little "perma-tex" when you put them on.
    If you can get it in your area, try something called "Power Punch" Use 1/2 a quart at oil change (replacing the same amount of oil). It's great stuf, especially for an older engine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1989 Ford 1-50 problems [ 2 Answers ]

I can drive my truck for three days or so and then it will start running rough like it isn't getting gas or getting flooded. It will die if I give it too much gas. It will not start till I let it set about 30 minutes. Then it will run about three days or so and then do it again. The only...

Compression test on a honda civic ex 94 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a civic94 I replace distributor,timeing belt,starter,I get spark,and also fuel flowing I'm about to do a compression test on the car if it comes out to be good on compression can I now figure out it was my ecu computer...

Compression test interpretation needed [ 4 Answers ]

I was the guy with the honda civic that wouldn't start. I did a compression test with both a wet and dry situation. Dry: Cylinder 1. 150 units of pressure 2. 140 units of pressure 3. 140 units of pressure 4. 55 units of pressure

1989 ford bronco [ 1 Answers ]

My name is bruce I've got a 1989 ford bronco 11 with a 2.9 litre my question is first the low oil light came on so I changed out the oil pump and put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on now when I first crank the motor iread about 50 psi but after about 20 minutes of running the pressure will drop...

Compression test (Civic 91 DX) [ 2 Answers ]

What can cause a compression test to show low compression on any cylinder? About half a year ago I went to check the compression at a local Honda Dealer, and they said 3 cylinders were OK and one was very bad. They said they poured some oil inside each cylinder and I got results of about 11:1 on...

View more questions Search