Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czielinsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Worried about teenage daughter
    My daughter is 18 (her dad and I are divorced) She is the middle of three children. She used to live at her father's, she just moved in me because I said it would be best as her father treats her awefully (puts her down, etc)... ok... she is depressed , on Zoloft (she insists she takes it every day) I convinced her to get into therapy because she never has gone back for a check up and has been on the med for about a year. She comes and goes as she pleases, her older sister knows that she hangs around with drug dealers, she just got fired from her job for not showing up. She doesn't want to talk about anything. She's gone from early morning to evening. She's only been back at our home for about a week. I am at a loss as how to deal with her or what to say and I am really worried about her. She's 18 and can do what she wants, etc... Just need some advice on how to sit down with her and talk. She has no responsibilities, no goals, just being with the friends. Part of me really just wants to tell her to get her act together or find some other place to go. I love her and only want the best for her. I just wish she wanted the best for herself (her esteem is 0.) Any words of wisdom on how to help my daughter would be greatly appreciated. God Bless Charise
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 07:21 PM

She needs tough love. Why was it so awful at her dad's?
    Do you know for a fact or is it her interpretation because she didn't want to follow the rules?

She may need to be threatened with going back there and if she doesn't shape up follow through!
    I see so many people diagnosed with bi-polar and other problems and they are given meds to make them adjust but many of them are also doing street drugs and so forth. I can't help but believe that the chemical interactions have to have a reverse effect rather than help. Also psychiatrists have TOLD me that more often than not the person taking these types of meds had to go back and get them 'adjusted' or changed because they build up an immunity. So lay down the law or send her back to dad's.
    watsoncarter Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 04:01 PM

I agree with nohelp. You should go buy a home drug test and tell her to take it.If she denies you know there's more than zoloft going on.tough love is the only way when it's gotten this far.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 07:55 AM

Does not matter what age she is, if she is living under your roof and expecting you to pay to support her, then she need to understand that SHE MUST abide by the rules you set or get out. She is more than likely on drugs and who knows what else. Probably the reason she left bio dad's Maybe you need to talk to your ex and get the real story about her lifestyle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenage daughter dating [ 16 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter has been dating a 17 year old boy for several months. At first, my wife and I found him to be a very nice boy. It didn't take long, though for him to show himself to be a "hot head". I have heard him yelling at my daughter on the phone, I have seen texts from him, in...

Out-of control teenage daughter [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I are at wits end! Our daughter is seventeen, and is driving us nuts. For example she left yesterday with people I have never met, she left a note saying she would be back in 30minutes. That was yesterday! She phoned at 1130 last night saying she was out quadding all day, and had the...

Teenage daughter [ 18 Answers ]

Dear sir/madam, I have seen my 16 year old daughter holding hands with her female friend- should I be worried about her sexual orientation? Thank you LUis

HELP with Teenage Daughter [ 8 Answers ]

I need help. My 17 year old daughter is pregnant and I cannot mentally deal with her decision to have a baby. Over the past five years my daughter has taken me through one bad ordeal after another. My family has tried to help but they have had to put her out of their homes. Recently our house...

Teenage daughter and pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

Hello My daughter is 17 and pregnant. Not to get into much detail, the father is not the type of person I want my Grandchild alone with nor his family. What should we do? Do we have to file for custody after the birth? Or will it be granted to my daughter? Do we has parents have rights...

View more questions Search