Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skidrowe7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Installing new shower head pipe
    I need to replace the galvanized pipe running inside the tile wall from the faucets to the shower head. Is there any easy way to do this short of a demolition job on the wall to access the pipe. Is there a way to remove the tile area so that it could be replaced after pipe installation?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 10, 2008, 07:06 PM

What is the room space on the other side of that wall, a closet in the next room maybe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 11, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I know what Bob's referring to. Rather then tear out the tile in the shower take out a section of wall behind the shower. Remove the old raiser and drop eared ell and replace with a CPVC 1/2" Male Threaded adapter coming out of the valve and CPVC pipe running up to a CPVC Drop Eared Ell, (see imjage).
    You may then reinstall the shower arm and head. Good luck and thank you for ratingt my reply. Tom

Dec 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the help but I think I'll have to demo to get to the pipe. The wall on the other side is a tiled tub/shower so it makes no difference. I think I may be able to get a diamond blade grout saw and cut the sections of tile out that I need to get access and then just cement the whole thing back in after I replace the pipe. What do you think?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 12:49 AM

Skidrowe7: I don't understand why you need to replace shower head riser. Can you elaborate ? Thank You...

Dec 13, 2008, 02:26 AM
    Well the reason being is when I turn on the water it is rusty for a short period then goes clear. The water pipes that feed this shower are the same ones that go to the tub/shower on the other side of the wall where when turned on the water is clear from the beginning. Sooo -I figure the head pipe is rusting out. Now I can live with the rusty water part but how long before the entire pipe rusts out and I have a major water leak in the wall while using the shower and not knowing about it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2008, 04:54 AM
    I can live with the rusty water part but how long before the entire pipe rusts out and I have a major water leak in the wall while using the shower and not knowing about it.
    Ahh! Then you don't really have a problem yet. Galvanized pipes will pick up rust in the pipe walls. Since your shower raiser has littlke pressure to contend with I think your worries are groundless. If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!
    Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 08:24 AM

Tom said it: this pipe is never under "real" pressure. It only guides water to the shower head. It may be that somebody installed black 90 where the shower arm attaches. That's the only situation I would see that would produce rust overnight.

Replacing that 30" section of pipe will cost you lots of money: demo, pipe replacement, replaster wall, reinstall moisture barrier, reinstall tile, regrout. And than: you will always see that patch on the wall. It is almost impossible to match new/old tile and grout.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2008, 08:31 PM

Hi Tom and Milo you guys saved another life with your good advises , thanks.

Regards,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible to connect a shower head into the sink pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put in a shower at my work, but I don't want to do any large construction work rip opening walls or the floor. I asked a guy at home depot and he showed me some shower/faucet with a connector to be able to connect it to where the sink pipe is. As long as I buy connector pipes that fit,...

Small pipe attached to shower head broke off [ 31 Answers ]

We were changing the shower head and the 3-4 inch pipe attached to the shower head broke off and parts of it corroded into the 3 -4 inch pipe in the wall that . I don't want to damage the threads to get the very thin lining of the other pipe in so we can screw a new shower head in. It had not been...

Shower Head Pipe Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently replaced everything in my shower. Everything has gone OK except for the pipe coming out of the wall that hooks to my showerhead. I have PVC coming up to a elbow, then the showerhead pipe connecting to the elbow. It's leaking where the showerhead pipe & elbow meet. No matter what I...

Shower Pipe Drips When Shower Head is Removed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I keep buying new hand held showers heads that leak from the hose. I buy Delta brand. After I installed a new one yesterday, it started leaking from the hose again. Today I took off the entire shower head and see that from the pipe that comes out from the wall, it drips water at a pretty...

View more questions Search