Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ijhm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Web browsing and VPN
    Have installed BT Voyager router 2091 for fast broadband internet access via ethernet cable. Works fine as browser, e-mail and VPN separately. I cannot browse internet while connected to VPN although I can send and receive e-mails OK although somwhat slower when connected VPN. Previously used BT USB Voyager 105 and was able to switch between web browsing and VPN seemlessly. Suspect that it is some setting in router configuration.

PC info:
    Windows XP
    PC anywhere networking software for VPN setup
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 7, 2006, 11:52 AM
    You have two internet connections, one direct to broadband and one through the VPN to broadband. The computer doesn't know which one to use and so you get this problem with connectivity. When the VPN is active probably all traffic is going through that (maybe browsing is restricted at the other end of the VPN?) and that's why its slower. Initially I would speak to the techies at work (or wherever the VPN goes) to resolve this.
    segaszivos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
    There is a network setting that needs to be configured for VPN to allow web-browsing through the original gateway (your Internet connection).

Disconnect from the VPN. Right-click your inactive VPN connection and select Properties. Select the Networking tab, then select TCP/IPv4, and click the Properties button towards the bottom. Go to the Advanced settings and uncheck "Use default gateway on remote network." Repeat these steps for TCP/IPv6 if available.

Now your VPN connection is set to default to your Internet connection and use the VPN connections for those confidential network resources. Enjoy!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 11, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Your VPN client or host is blocking Port 80 (HTTP). If you are still able to send email to the Internet while connected to the VPN, then it is still able to contact your Internet gateway via Port 25 (SMTP).

Some VPN clients (such as Cisco) have a setting in the client to not allow any local LAN access, others will simply block specific ports to stop certain types of traffic. The blocking may also be enabled by your company network as a security feature to safeguard against malicious content from sources not controlled by your companies regular entry points such as an Internet Proxy or Firewall server.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox question about the "tabbed browsing" [ 4 Answers ]

I recently started using Firefox browser, unfortunately, I messed around with customizing it and somehow It does not do the "tabbed browsing" feature. I lost it and cannot find where to fix it. I did delete the program, the Firefox and reinstalled it hoping it would go back to the default...

Offline Browsing [ 2 Answers ]

In this country loadsheding and power failure is common.During net session power fails and comuter shut down.All offline files/pages stored in internet temp folder are no longer available and deleted automatically.This case is common in WIN XP,which I am using.In win98 only current net session...

Keep having to 'REFRESH' whilst browsing. [ 10 Answers ]

:) Hi everyone. This is my first ever posting so I hope I'm doing it right. I have had my internet connection for a little over two weeks now and seem to have spent 95% of my time online sorting out 'security' stuff. I have a few final things to tweak and would greatly appreciate anyone's help...

View more questions Search