Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwjbab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I was served papers regarding an auto accident .
    I was served papers regarding an auto accident I had over 2 years ago. I had vehicle insurance. The policeman never came to talk to me, he talked to the other guy the whole time. I never received any citation or violation at all, there was no traffice light to direct traffic, and there was caution lights for vehicles to slow down on the main street to allow intersecting traffic coming from the hospital which was where I was coming from. I was hit in the drivers rear door when I was making a left onto the main road.

The gentleman that hit me was going too fast and did not pay attention. If he was not speeding or was paying attention, He would not have hit me. I went to the hospital to be checkout out, the gentleman was outside his vehicle and was screaming and carrying on. My insurance informed me that it was taken care of , and I was surprised to hear that they were paying without further investigation and they said that I did not have the right of way. I assumed everything was OK but was not happy about the whole incident because the police never bothered to talk to me at all. It was probably a case where he knew the other driver, I was new in the area and knew no one.

My car was paid off and was all I had. My car was a loss and now I rely on my boyfriend to get me to work. I am really scared and would like some advice.

Thank you
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwjbab View Post
    I was served papers regarding an auto accident I had over 2 years ago. I had vehicle insurance. The policeman never came to talk to me, he talked to the other guy the whole time. I never received any citation or violation at all, there was no traffice light to direct traffic, and there was caution lights for vehicles to slow down on the main street to allow intersecting traffic coming from the hospital which was where I was coming from. I was hit in the drivers rear door when I was making a left onto the main road.

The gentleman that hit me was going too fast and did not pay attention. If he was not speeding or was paying attention, He would not have hit me. I went to the hospital to be checkout out, the gentleman was outside his vehicle and was screaming and carrying on. My insurance informed me that it was taken care of , and I was surprised to hear that they were paying without further investigation and they said that I did not have the right of way. I assumed everything was ok but was not happy about the whole incident because the police never bothered to talk to me at all. It was probably a case where he knew the other driver, I was new in the area and knew noone.

My car was paid off and was all I had. My car was a loss and now I rely on my boyfriend to get me to work. I am really scared and would like some advice.

thank you
    The other vehicle had right of way, regardless of there being "caution" lights. Unless the cross traffic had a stop sign or a red light, then it was your job to yield, not theirs.

If you are getting served papers, call your insurance and find out how much they paid out to the other party. Your coverage may not have paid enough to cover all of the damages caused in the accidents, which is why you're now being served papers. I'd also get a copy of the police report regarding the accident; you can never have too much information.

I'm curious as to why your insurance was willing to pay out when you state that you were never found at fault for anything. From my experience, when no one is ticketed or found to be at fault, neither party will get anything.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwjbab View Post

The gentleman that hit me was going too fast and did not pay attention. If he was not speeding or was paying attention, He would not have hit me. I went to the hospital to be checkout out, the gentleman was outside his vehicle and was screaming and carrying on. My insurance informed me that it was taken care of , and I was surprised to hear that they were paying without further investigation and they said that I did not have the right of way. I assumed everything was ok but was not happy about the whole incident because the police never bothered to talk to me at all. It was probably a case where he knew the other driver, I was new in the area and knew noone.

thank you

Couple of questions to be asked - what was the color of YOUR light? Not unusual not to be ticketed - the Police Officer is an after-the-fact witness. Some ticket, some don't.

I'm a liability invetigator so here goes - how do you know he was going too fast? You came to the conclusion that he was driving too fast and/or not paying attention and still pulled out, making a left in his path? You have a copy of the Police Accident Report. What does it say about the cause of the accident? If you did not agree did you go to the Police Station with your proof and protest? What did the witnesses listed on the Police Report say?

Did you write your insurance company and explain why you were not liable and felt they should not have paid the damages? They still would have paid but you would have objected two years ago.

Did you sue the other driver for your damages, loss of your car and so forth? Are you countersuing now?

How would the Police talking to you have changed liaiblity for the accident? You also minimize your own arguments with the new to the area/knew the Police argument.

So turn the papers over to your insurance company. They will represent and protect you and pay any claims if you lose or they settle. That's why you have insurance. I will be amazed if any Judgment goes over your policy limit. Amazed.

It's a very hard lesson for you, I'm afraid and people involved in accidents should be proactive instead of sitting around and waiting to react - but everyone does it.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Dec 15, 2008, 10:15 PM
    In addition to the very insightful answers posted by JudyKayTee and this8384 we would add that you, or your insurance company, ought to look into the applicable statute of limitations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Served divorce papers [ 3 Answers ]

After acquiring his U.S.Citizenship my husband is divorcing me. What happens if I don't respond to being served divorce papers ? There is no community property to be divided as he insisted on everything being kept separate. I have separate property including my home of 25 yrs. Which is held in...

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

Served Papers About a Judgement [ 12 Answers ]

I need advice. Yesterday I was served papers about a debt with a credit card company. It is MY debt. I was young and very dumb about my credit cards. Now they are catching up to me. I am broke. I honestly don't own anything. No savings, I rent, and my car is financed. I as of right now have 19 days...

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search