Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamthecage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Heat pump is cooling but not heating
    I've noticed since winter has started my heat pump is not acting correctly. I have troubleshot the problem and cooling is indeed working fine. Although, when you switch to heating, the outside unit engages but the temperature at the register never rises above room temp. When you set it on Emergency heat, the heating coils engage as they should and it heats fine.

Why is the compressor cooling but not heating?

This is also a single stage outside unit.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 04:36 PM
    It could be the reversing valve or the reversing valve coils.
    iamthecage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Is it possible to go about checking the reversing valve?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
    If you have a wiring diagram for the unit it is possible. Usually I suggest a pro look it over if the homeowner has checked for the obvious.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 09:32 PM

What brand is the heat pump? With a few exceptions, most heat pump manufacturers use a reversing valve that is powered for cooling. The unit will typically "default" to heating if a problem arises with the reversing valve control circuit. Perhaps your outdoor fan is running but the compressor is not, giving the illusion of a unit running in the cooling mode.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 10, 2008, 10:16 AM

It is also possible the tstat is faulty. It could be energizing the O/B terminals, or not energizing it as needed.

You could also have a busted wire from the tstat to the unit. It all depends on what HP terminals should be energized for heating or cooling.

Let us know what type of unit this is and what tstat you have. Some checking could be done at the tstat eliminate that possibility, if you know how to use a multimeter. Otherwise just call a pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump not cooling as well [ 2 Answers ]

We have a heat pump and replaced it 4-5 years ago when our old one died. Our home is well insulated and we keep it closed up during warm-hot weather. About a week ago it got very hot again, but not as hot as it's been earlier this year. We have cool air coming out of the vents with a normal force,...

Heat pump not cooling well [ 8 Answers ]

We have a heat-pump and had to have a new capacitor installed about 2 months ago, because the outside fan would not run. It's been working great ever since until yesterday. I noticed the tempature has elevated and the air flow seems good. I replace filter monthly, and put a new one in again. The...

Heat pump not cooling or heating properly [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my Rheem heat pump. The indoor unit seems to be fine and the blower motor is running. The outside unit seems to be the problem. The fan only runs part of the time sometimes not kicking on at all other time kicking on for several minutes then kicking off before the temp is...

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Carrier heat pump not cooling [ 2 Answers ]

Our Carrier heat pump is not cooling our house. This is the first time it has been on for cooling this year. The system is running outside and the system inside is running and cool to the touch, but nothing is coming out the vents. It sounds like the fan is running. The thermostat is set for 72...

View more questions Search