Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cherome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 11:37 AM
    How do I reliquish the rights of a parent that doesn't care about our child?
    I am the custodial parent of my daughter, the non-custodial parent is a neglectful person when it comes to our daughter. NCP has two other children by a new spouse, and they have had a horrible case of lice for 4 months, not only costing me out the rear for repetitive treatments and days missed at work because she was sent home from school, but we also ended up having to shave her head. She gets teased at school, her grades and conduct have suffered beyond repair (ever since NCP chose to become involved after 5 years of not wanting anything to do with her), she is an emotional mess, and tells me all the time that she wants her hair back. NCP hasn't even bothered to ask her about the cut or apologize for causing it by not treating the lice infested kids, and certainly hasn't tried to reimburse me for all that I was out. That is just the most recent incident, there is a long list of NCP's actions that show neglect and selfishness, and that NCP just doesn't care about our daughter. How do I right the wrong I have committed by encouraging NCP to be a part of our daughter's life. I think at this point it is only logical to relinquish NCP's parental rights, how can I do this without causing our daughter to be dragged through the mud? Please help! :confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:42 AM

You go back to court and tell the Judge all the problems that the non custodial parent has caused and see if the court will order him unfit and not allow him to have your daughter until he remedies the situation. Maybe a children's service case worker ordered to visit his home and see how things go on there would be a good idea too.
    Cherome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 11:59 AM
    We're trying to go back to court, but I can't afford an attorney, and at this point I really need one. The last time he was supposed to pick her up he had said he would allow me to check the kids for lice, but when he showed up he changed his mind, so I refused to let him take her. The cops got involved and everything, but I still refused, now I will probably be held in contempt. When we got the court order back in 03, it stated that he was supposed to have supervised visits then daytime only visits, he didn't like it so he disappeared. Suddenly, 3 yrs later he shows up, and I have never hidden who he was from my daughter, so when he showed up at her 5th birthday party she lnew who he was. Sadly, after 7 yrs of giving him the benefit of the doubt, I have realized how stupid I've been, and how much my daughter is suffering. It's time to sign him off once and for all, now I just need to know how.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 12:04 PM

The only other thing I know and I usually advise it as a last resort is to get Children's services involved in visiting his home. They may decide that he is unfit and order that she not go there again until he complies. Then they will likely get a court date set up quicker.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Dec 16, 2008, 09:31 PM
    I agree, you would need to contact the court (who will likely get CPS involved) and alert them of the unhealthy situation they are living in. The court will likely send a social worker to the house to check things out, interview the parents, etc. If they deem the situation unsafe or unhealthy they may remove the children and give you sole custody. It seems to take a LOT to get them to do that though, but its definitely worth it to keep your kids safe and healthy. Dr's records from the repetitive lice problems and/or any other health issues caused the by fathers house will only help.
    Off the subject, for the lice - wash your kids hair with Tea Tree Oil shampoo. It not only kills lice without all the chemicals, but it also prevents lice from re-infesting the kids' hair even when they're exposed - tea tree is an anti-microbal, works like a charm. Used it for years on my kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for [ 5 Answers ]

Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Child lives with noncustodial parent do I have rights? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has been staying with her father for 4 years,he has a court order to pay child support.He is taking me to court for custody of her.I recently moved into a larger home with my boyfriend so I have room now.The new wife he has has smacked her in the face twice and threw her out (12 years...

Reliquish rights as a father [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé wants to relinquish his rights he doesn't want the child to have his last name and he doesn't want to pay child support anymore... the mother doesn't let us see the child she is remarried and upset that my fiancé has moved on too. We haven't seen his daughter in almost 8 months we don't...

View more questions Search