Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Dec 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Permadent Resident in Canada
    What is the procedure for becoming a permanent resident in Canada? What does this status entitle you to?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 02:12 PM

Individuals can apply under one of six categories for Canadian permanent residence:

* Skilled Worker Class Immigration
    * Business Class Immigration
    * Provincial Nomination
    * Family Class Immigration
    * Quebec-Selected Immigration
    * International Adoption

Skilled Worker Class Immigration

Individuals can apply to become permanent residents in Canada under the skilled worker class. Applicants are evaluated based on education level, language ability, work experience, age, arranged employment and adaptability. Each factor is individually evaluated and the overall score determines whether the applicant is a suitable candidate for permanent resident status. The combined score is from 0 to 100, with the minimum qualifying level set at 67.

This is not the only measure used to determine candidate suitability. Citizenship and Immigration Canada also takes into account an individual’s criminal history (if one exists), the Canadian labour market and other factors to determine the outcome of the application. However, this score is a good starting point to determine whether you can apply for the permanent resident status under this category.

For example: a 25 year-old female with excellent English ability, basic French knowledge, a Master’s degree with 2 years work experience in the country of origin, no prearranged employment in Canada and a spouse that has studied, lived and worked in Canada might score upwards of 80 points overall. This combined score of the six factors would make her eligible to apply for permanent residency. However, different individuals score differently and this example is in no way representative of the larger population.

Business Class Immigration

There are classes of individuals In the Business Class category that qualify for permanent residence: investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed persons.

Investors are required to demonstrate business experience, a legally obtained net worth of C$800,000 and to invest C$400,000 in Canadian economy. There are also additional requirements.

Entrepreneurs are also required to demonstrate business experience in owning and managing businesses or in owning a share or percentage of an enterprise. They must also have a net worth of C$300,000, be willing to manage and operate a business and create at least one full time job (not including his/hers) within three years of becoming a permanent resident.

Self-employed persons are must have the experience, intention and ability to establish a business that will, at a minimum, create an employment opportunity for themselves and that will make a significant contribution to cultural activities or athletics in Canada; or purchase and manage a farm.

Provincial Nomination

If you have a specific province in mind that you would like to immigrate and settle in, this process allows a province to nominate individuals that they wish to include in their selection for immigration and settlement. This process requires the individual to contact the representative immigration office within the target province and apply for nomination to that province. After this nomination has been performed, the individual has to apply to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Family Class Immigration

If you have any members of the close family that are permanent residents in Canada, they may be able to help you obtain permanent residency. Approximately 30% of all immigrants that come to Canada are sponsored by family members. Individuals living in Canada are obliged by the government to sponsor family members coming to Canada for a period of 3 to 10 years in order to help them settle in Canada.

Québec-Selected Immigration

Province of Québec has a special agreement with the Federal Government of Canada to select immigrants that best fit its immigration requirements. There is a separate evaluation process for any individual intending to settle in Québec, which includes the following categories:

* Permanent workers
    * Businesspeople
    * Students - permanent immigration
    * Temporary workers - permanent immigration
    * Families
    * Sponsored refugees

International Adoption

Canadian permanent residents are permitted to adopt children from foreign countries. The process is quite long and arduous in order to protect the rights of children and it involves conducting various studies of the adoptive family and its surroundings. Adopting a child from another country involves different legal issues and entities such as the Provincial immigration office, Hague Convention that governs international adoptions, child’s country of origin legal offices and so on. Canadian families intending to adopt children have to be able to sponsor them for extended period, and be committed to raising the child and pursuing his or hers best interests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Resident traveling to Canada [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US resident wanting to travel to Canada by car for a summer vacation this year 2008. Will I need a passport to travel into Canada and then coming back from Canada. I will be travelling in June in 2008 and crossing in Minnesota.

Permadent residentsy in Canada? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:

Can I remarry and sponsor, 6 months after I get divorced. I'm a Resident of Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I am in the process of getting a divorce from my wife. I am a Canadian Permanent Resident Holder (will get my passport in 1 yrs time) but I was told that I have to wait for 3 more years from the day my wife got her residency in order to get remarried. My wife got her PR about a yr...

L1 VISA Resident of Canada - SS & Medicare Withholdings? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a citizen and current (since Jan 2007) resident of Canada. I have been transferred here by my Danish based company and current employment via L1 visa is out of our subsidiary in Atlanta GA. Must I have US social security and medicare deducted from my Paychecks which are...

View more questions Search