Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keyshe69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Did not file taxes for this year!
    I thought my parents filed for me this year but they didn't. What now?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 08:35 AM

Call the IRS and ask for an extension because you did not know you needed to file for yourself.

Ask them for the tax forms you need and when you get them fill them out and send them in.

If you owe them money, you may also have to pay a penalty for the late filing. If they owe you, then you don't have a problem.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 10:02 AM
    If you have your W-2(s), go to your local tax preparer. He can prepare the return for you while you wait.

Sorry, but it is too late to file electronically, so you will have to mail it. Have the refund direct deposited into your checking account (bring your checkbook with you so the tax preparer can get the routing and account number).

If you mail it this week, you should get the refund by the end of January.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 11:25 AM

To add to what the others have said.. if you owe money then the quicker you file and pay your taxes the better it is, because every day that you are late the IRS will tack on more interest charges. So don't delay! And don't forget about your state income taxes as well (if your state has an income tax).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file my taxes if I worked all year but my dad claimed me to? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know how to do that.Please help.

F1, OPT and H1 three status in one year. How should I file my taxes? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has been asked several times but I still am not sure how to judge my situation. Background: Indian citizen filing single. Studied and worked on F1: Aug 23, 2003 to Jan 31, 2007. - Worked in MA

What if I didn't file my taxes last year? [ 4 Answers ]

If I didn't file my taxes last year and I get a return this year will the IRS just deduct what I owed from last year?

Did not file taxes last year [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do if I forgot to file my taxes last year? Can I file them with this years taxes?

Can I file last years taxes this year [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Rhode Island but work in Massachusetts. I filed my Rhode Island income taxes last year but forgot to file my Massachusetts non resident. Can I send in my Massachusetts non-resident form from last year (2005) this year (2006)?

View more questions Search