Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hedieh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Oral contraceptives
    I use oral contraceptives 21days for 7months,one of my friend said her doctor said u should break body after use these tablet for 6months,means use pills for 6months,break for 6months & start after 6monthbreak again,can u help me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2006, 09:41 AM
    That doesn't sound right to me. Since it takes a couple of cycles when beginning to take oral contraceptives for the woman to be fully protected then it makes no sense to stop and start so many times.
    hedieh Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Thanks for answered me so I can use these pills for many years I want?because this month I had light brown discharge during ovulation,it was first time.I had yeast infection lastmonth that I used cream for 2weeks for it.now I don't know why I have discharge,maybe infection again or pills side effect or can be for my stress that I having these days?
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Jul 6, 2006, 10:13 AM
    It seems like you may be suffering from another infection. It would be best to see your doctor.

If you are using oral contraception, you should be able to take them for as long as you want. It depends on which type you are using. Usually you will atill have a monthly cycle with the pill.

You should go and ask your doctor to explain further what he means.

I hope this helps!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 01:00 PM
    The length of time you are on the birth control pill is reflective upon a few things: age, lifestyle such as smoker or non-smoker, and type of pill.

Typically the doc will put a younger woman on birth control who is a non-smoker, if you are a smoker your chances of stroke or heart attack increase with age. Not to say the doc won’t put a smoker on because, he will, but other factors come into play also.

Most oral contraceptives are taken in 28 day increments. 21 days on the pill and 7 days on a placebo. You MUST make sure you take the pills at the EXACT time every day or they will be less effective.

It takes several months for the pill to be completely effective, so during those 2 or 3 months it is wise to use extra protection.

You should never stop taking your because without talking to a doctor. I don’t know where your friend got their information, but I am quite certain this is incorrect.

As for the new discharge, it does sound like it could be a new infection. :confused: Go back to the doc and have it checked out. Also, it is very important to know that if you are on antibiotics the pill is less effective for another 2 months or so. So please take extra precaution again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Oral sex question [ 11 Answers ]

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oral sex [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 months and he doesn't hesitate to perform oral sex and I want to return the favour but am not really sure where to start or what to do. Any tips would be appreciated?

Need help -- how to medicate kitten with oral lamisil [ 2 Answers ]

My new kitten has a dermatophyte (fungal ) infection and the vet recommended oral lamisil. The dosage is a 1/4 tablet twice a day for 4 weeks. I am having a hard time giving this to the kitten orally. I've tried pulverizing it and mixing it in his food and sometimes it works, sometimes it...

View more questions Search