Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catlady4 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 06:02 AM
    My 3 year old scratches on our bedroom door at night
    :confused:Within the last month, my 3 year old cat had decided to start scratching on our bedroom door at night. She has plenty of food, water, litter box, etc. to get her through the night, yet she insists on scratching. When we got her from the shelter about 3 years ago she was already declawed - so she is not damaging the door. Just waking us up at all hours of the night. We have tried spraying her with water to discourage this behavoir and guess what - it doesn't work. She keeps coming back to the door and scratching.

Any suggestions? We need to get some sleep!!

Thank you.:(
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 06:06 AM

Sounds like she wants more attention.
    Do you play with her and hold her a lot before you go to bed?

Dec 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Sounds like she wants more attention.
    Do you play with her and hold her a lot before you go to bed?
    Absolutely - when she will let us - there are times when she is very cuddly and affectionate and times when she isn't. We try and love on her as much as she will allow.
    :)
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Dec 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Maybe she just does not want to be alone at night? Is there any way you can let her in your room while you are sleeping?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2008, 08:06 PM

I just have to laught, I know off topic, but when I first read this, I was reading children issues first, so I was thinking this was a 3 year old CHILD, not CAT.

For a laugh, re-read it, thinking child and have a laugh
    catsman_123 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Dec 13, 2008, 08:11 PM

Being a cat person myself, I have many cats. It is probably just because your cat is lonely. You should consider buying another cat. They would have fun together, and not bother you. Good luck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2008, 12:52 AM

Hi, catlady4!

What would be the problem with letting your cat sleep with you at night, please? If there's something that the cat might do in the bed concerning where the cat might sleep, then most cats would quickly learn what it is that you don't like.

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxariesxx View Post
    Maybe she just does not want to be alone at night? Is there any way you can let her in your room while you are sleeping?
    That would be a good idea if she was the only cat; however, with 3 others, they would get jealous!! Believe me, my husband and I have thought about it.

Thank you for your comment - it is appreciate!! :)

Dec 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsman_123 View Post
    being a cat person myself, i have many cats. it is probably just because your cat is lonely. you should consider buying another cat. they would have fun together, and not bother you. good luck
    One of the things I didn't mention in my first post is that we have 4 cats total! I would love to get another cat, but I would end up in divorce court!! LOL:D
    Thank you for your comment.

Dec 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, catlady4!

What would be the problem with letting your cat sleep with you at night, please? If there's something that the cat might do in the bed concerning where the cat might sleep, then most cats would quickly learn what it is that you don't like.

Just a thought for you...

Thanks!
    I apologize - I failed to mention in my first post that this cat is one of four that we have. We don't have problems with the others, just her.

Thank you for your comment.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 15, 2008, 03:18 PM

When I was in the hospital for a week my cat went through a hard time, even though someone came in to take care of him. He now has a type of "separation anxiety". When I'm in bed he goes around the house searching for me and calling until I tell him I'm here. He probably does this when I'm gone too.

Your cat may have suddenly developed the same condition. She has learned to get comfort from humans, so she is trying to get to you at night.

At one time my husband & I had 3 cats and often woke up with all 3 on our bed in different places. It was weird because they didn't like each other, but tolerated each other on the bed.They just had to move when we rolled over or got up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 year old dog wakes me up almost every night! [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old greyhound/foxhound mix. I've had her for a little over 3 years. She is great in so many ways. My husband and I are definitely of the mindset that we have to be the pack leader, and she does really well with that. She does seem to have a very high prey drive and does not get...

4 year old son still has a dummy during day and at night is that's bad? [ 8 Answers ]

What age shall I make him give it up and how:confused:

Height of a front or bedroom door handle ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. What is the appropriate height for a door handle.. fitting a new one and have no idea.. I don't want to make it too low or too high.. thanks !

The Year of my Bedroom Dresser [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am very new to antiques and the value, so could use some help here! I have found a gorgeous 9-drawer dresser, but I do not know the year it was made. It doesn't look like the way dressers are made today. And, I also compared it to 1940's & 50's 9-drawer dressers, and there were...

Bedroom door [ 2 Answers ]

Unless you push the door against the wall, it will close by itself, as if the house is leaning. And if the ac or heater cycles on it will close. We tried tightening the screws on the plate, but it still closes. Can you help?

View more questions Search