Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harsh1430 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife)
    Hello,

I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in Married status. Please help!

Thanks,
    Harsh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2006, 03:27 PM
    Harsh:

Since you are still F-1 status (presumed because you are on an OPT), you should file as a non-resident alien (Form 1040NR).

Since you are Indian, you can claim your wife as a dependent AND claim the $5,000 standard deduction for 2005. You should also file Form 4483 with the tax return.

Talk to your employer about being exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes. Ask that he stop withholding the Social Security and Medicare taxes. If he refuses, get the refusal in writing, as you will need it when you request a refund of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. You should Form 483 to make that claim for refund.

Contact me at [email protected] if you need help with this process.

You should File F

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am married to a women But am still In love with my Ex wife [ 13 Answers ]

I need this question answered. I have been divorced for about 4 years now. We haven't talked since we separated. Well I recently got married and my ex wife got married 7 months ago. Well I had to contact her cause of an issue about a car that we owned. Since we divorced I lived in Kansas and her in...

NYC Taxes married filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I just received my tax returns from my accountant and he claims my wife and I owe ~$4000 to NYS. Combined we made roughly $165,000 split evenly between us both. Scenario: I lived in NJ last year until November after my wedding-my wife in NY the entire year. I worked...

On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search