Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Gift Certificate of Death
    Has everyone veiwed the insane idea brought to attention Dec 2 for holiday gift certificate?
    The New York Times reported that 35 parent planning station across the Unitied States have offered the gift of death as a Christmas gift.

As quoted in the news:

Here's an original holiday gift idea to help the person who may have everything, including a little something they don't really want. A new way to mark the festive yearend celebration of life -- a gift certificate for an abortion.

I applaude Gianna Jessen who is an abortion survivor. And I ask that you to give your heart to her message. Don't miss part 2 also... I promise it is worth hearing.

Part 1
    GodTube.com - davisc - Gianna Jessen - Abortion Survivor (Part 1 of 2)

Part 2
    GodTube.com - davisc - Gianna Jessen - Abortion Survivor (Part 2 of 2)
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Come on now, what do you mean gift certificate of death? Don't you know to Planned Parenthood that's just "basic medical needs?"

"Women in particular are likely to forgo basic medical needs when faced with putting gas in their car or food on the table," said Planned Parenthood of Indiana's president and CEO, Betty Cockrum.
    What a special way to celebrate Christmas - the birth of child - give an abortion to a loved one. I wonder if you can designate which services the certificate is good for. Hey cousin George, here’s $50 for your gonorrhea. Or maybe we can just designate the certificate for the next black that comes for an abortion?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:10 AM

I feel that the present society that America is currently in can be extremely revolting to even dream up such a tastless Christmas gift. What kind of a gift is this? Hey, everybody, let's kill a few more babies and you have our gift certificate to make it all nicey nicey and all. This is worse than bad taste. It defies logic.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 10:25 AM

Quoted WHERE in the news?

Give me the link to the news article, please.

I have a feeling that there is more to this than just a gift certificate for an abortion! There are a LOT of services that Planned Parenthood offers that have NOTHING to do with abortions--and EVERYTHING to do with family planning.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Here you go Synnen:

This holiday season, Indiana's Planned Parenthood is offering an unusual stocking stuffer: gift certificates redeemable for health services at clinics throughout the state.

In these tough economic times, the organization says it made the move toward gift certificates because it is worried that more and more people will forgo basic health care.

"Women in particular are likely to forgo basic medical needs when faced with putting gas in their car or food on the table," said Planned Parenthood of Indiana's president and CEO, Betty Cockrum.

Planned Parenthood provides contraception, pap smears and other routine health services for women, as well as abortions. The gift certificates, ranging in values from $25 to $100, can be redeemed for all clinic services.

The Indiana branch is selling the gift certificates on its Web site, touting it as a way to give the gift of health this holiday season.

But the vouchers are sparking controversy. Some anti-abortion supporters see it as less about the gift of affordable health care and more about making a mockery of the holidays.

"This campaign to offer lethal gift certificates that Planned Parenthood is engaging in right now is offensive," said Sister Diane Carollo, director of the Office for Pro-Life Ministry for the Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. "And it's offensive because Christmas is about the celebration of human life."

Planned Parenthood is quick to argue some 95 percent of women who come to their clinics come for basic health services -- not abortion.

"It's about basic health care. It's about annual exams, it's about pap smears, it's about birth control," said Cockrum. "I would be amazed if a dime of it goes toward an abortion.

It's an issue that is spreading beyond Indiana. On ABC News.com today, opinions were mixed. One person wrote: "Wal-Mart gift cards can be used to buy alcohol and ammunition... but nobody is outraged."

This holiday season Indiana's Planned Parenthood is offering gift certificates that can be used at 35 clinics across the state for services ranging from contraceptives to abortion.

Another wrote: "Disgusting!! I am pro choice, but gift certificates for abortion, sick, sick, sick!"

Planned Parenthood chapters in Illinois, New York, Alaska and Michigan are considering similar gift certificate programs for the holidays.

But if the organization expands this program, the more it is likely to inflame the never-ending fight over abortion during what is intended to be a peaceful holiday season.
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 10:54 AM

Yup... giving a woman the gift of a pap smear so that she doesn't die of cervical cancer is just horrendous!

Or giving a woman the gift of affordable birth control so that she doesn't face the choices of an unplanned pregnacy--just awful!

Grow up, people. The gift of health is a HUGE gift. If people were giving someone a gift certificate to any OTHER health care, like a hospital or walk-in clinic--some of which do offer abortions--would you be as outraged? Or is it just because it's Planned Parenthood?

I personally used Planned Parenthood all through college and afterwards, when I was flat broke, because it was either Planned Parenthood or NO health care. With low-paying jobs that didn't offer insurance, I didn't have a lot of choice in health care providers.

I'll just suggest to others I know in the same financial straits (and there are MORE of them now, the way the economy is!) that they should just take chances with their health rather than support an agency that promotes womens' health.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
    If a Planned Parenthood gift certificate isn't your cup of tea, you can celebrate Christmas by watching the first televised assisted suicide if you have Britain's Sky TV.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    you can celebrate Christmas by watching the first televised assisted suicide if you have Britain's Sky TV.
    Why are you interested in that??
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Synnen, do you really not get it? Of course health care is a great gift, but the outrage is that the certificates are valid “for all clinic services.” It really isn’t that difficult to figure out that promoting gift certificates with the potential to be used for an abortion as a “Christmas” gift is beyond disgusting. There just isn’t much more insulting, outrageous, offensive, demeaning to “the reason for the season” than that.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:18 AM
    There just isn’t much more insulting, outrageous, offensive, demeaning to “the reason for the season” than that.
    You mean worse that the outrageous commercialization of the “the reason for the season”?
    Ultra Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Why are you interested in that????
    Do you have any substance to offer at all, NK?
    Uber Member

Do you have any substance to offer at all, NK?
    Just wondering why you're interested in watching someone's suicide and promote the fact to all here.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Just wondering why you're interested in watching someone's suicide and promote the fact to all here.
    The sarcasm is obvious, NK, so you can drop the lame attempts at highlighting my "interest."
    Expert

Dec 9, 2008, 11:36 AM

You know what---I typed up a nice long response to you, speechlesstx, but decided that even though you warrant it, I couldn't be THAT rude and THAT demeaning.

Let's just put it this way: A person's healthcare, in this country, is protected by privacy. There is absolutely NO ONE who needs to know how those gift cards are used.

My dad got a gun from all of us for Christmas last year. Guns are ONLY for killing. Should we have waited until Father's Day--is that your point? That giving a gift that someone wants and/or needs shouldn't happen at the holidays unless there is absolute NO WAY for it to be used for harm.

So... no more cleaning supplies, knives, guns, ice picks, alcohol, ice skates, step ladders, rope, candlesticks, lead pipes, wrenches, baseball bats---are you getting the idea here?--because they MIGHT be used to kill someone.

I love people who want to ban things on the basis of MIGHTS.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
    people have christmas parties, yes even good christians, then some drink and drive - it's a certificate of death!!!!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:45 AM

The reason for the season. What a funny saying, how about the guy who got trampled at walmart in NY. The reason he was killed is because of the season. So let me ask how many of you stopped shopping at Walmart? Their sale and the Season is the reason a man is dead. So save how disgusted you are about a GC for Planned Parenthood that may or may not be used for an abortion if you still shop at Walmart.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 11:46 AM

Or maybe we can just designate the certificate for the next black that comes for an abortion?
    Make the Eugenics~Tide gay. Their founder, Margaret Sanger, hated black people and wanted to eliminate them through sterilization and abortion.

In her own words :
    The most serious charge that can be brought against modern “benevolence” is that it encourages the perpetuation of defectives, delinquents and dependents. These are the most dangerous elements in the world community, the most devastating curse on human progress and expression.
    The Pivot of Civilization

Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Is this about the time where we mention the Westboro Baptist Church since we seem to be fishing for kooks in this world?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 12:09 PM

If you wish . I brought up Sanger because she begat Planned Parenthood from her kooky philosophy of hate .
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 12:10 PM

I love laughing at Pastor Phelps and his family, there are INSANE!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash gift before death [ 2 Answers ]

I was given a cash gift of £6000 3-4 years ago . I opened up an account in my name and have not used the account just in case the elderly aunt that gave me the gift needed it for anything urgent such as an operation.The account has not been touched and still has this amount of money in it.The...

Need a death certificate copy [ 1 Answers ]

I need a copy of a death certificate, where do I go to get a copy of it? Would that be the courthouse/ emoore

Death certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am doing a biographical search on a subject, minor nobility, who died in South of France, 1878 and would like to obtain death certificate, also find burial place. She is buried in Nimes, Arles, maybe Nice. Can anyone direct me how to get records in France, and a listing...

Gift certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I revived a gift certificate from my job for $300.00 when I went to use it to pay for the hotels the travel agent took his commission out of my certificate can he do that?

Landlords wife don't have death certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I spoke with my landlords wife she told me he killed himself, he jump off a bridge, and they can't find the body. So section 8 said that they cannot put rent payments in her name, everything is in his name. So I figure that at some point they will stop rent payments because he's deceased. I really...

View more questions Search