Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grizzly007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Aircraft pollution?
    I live directly in line with a the main runway at an International airport and about 8 Km from it. We see a yellow substance on our cars and laundry. Could this be from pollution of the aircraft?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 08:32 AM

Most definitely. I used to live in the runway path at Ft. Lauderdale International Airport in Florida and my cars and home were coated with substances all the time - usually jet fuel residue.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Dec 8, 2008, 09:07 AM

Possibly, but they've cleaned up particulate matter from jet engines quite a bit over the past years. Also 8 km is a good way out and one would not think that any jet emissions would be so concentrated at that distance (i.e. the planes would be at such an altitude) as to leave noticeable residue. There are other possible sources, or a combination of sources - including cars, trains , industrial activities, and even plants (e.g. certain trees at certain times of the year), etc. that could be contributing to the residue. Look around your local environment.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Dec 9, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Jet fuel is perfectly healthy for you and the environment... :)
    Actually, it is only kerosene - the same as the exhaust from a space heater, but of course a much larger concentration of it. I'm sure its not that great for you, but neither is living near a highway and all the pollutants that will cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any have a you fly it aircraft carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for pictures, info advert or the toy it self foam us enterprise aircraft carrier with jet you can launch and fly from late 70s

Naval aircraft mechanic cannot get his car started [ 81 Answers ]

So I bought a 1992 honda civic DX auto and after a week of buying it, it crapped out on me. It would crank, but would not fire up. Immediately I began troubleshooting. I checked for spark and there was none when I grounded the plugs against the frame several times while my friend cranked it. Next I...

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

View more questions Search