Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paintedpony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Matter of Principal
    I own a business in Montana. In April, I paid a local marketing company for advertisement in a very prominent publication as well as to be highlighted on a map that will be distributed to every tourist passing several points on 3 major tourist highways into my region of the state. OK, I know that it sounds like putting eggs in one basket, but the publications reach far and wide and the options in this area are VERY limited and generic where available--it was at the time what seemed like the best decision. Oh, we were also supposed to be given 500 of the maps for our customers (we are a bar, restaurant and hotel) which is SOOO helpful for them as we are, again, a tourist destination.
    So, we invested in this marketing and did not pursue much other in that specific 'type' of activity as we assumed it cover such a broad spectrum.

PROBLEM: I finally got nervous as the tourist season came... and began to go... and we never got the maps we were promised. And, I kept asking our customers if they had received a map at the check points---no they hadn't. Ok, so long story short---he never even printed either publication. NOTHING!
    So I have called and complained and emailed and complained etc... he won't return emails and won't answer his phone if his ID says it's me calling. I called from a number he wouldn't recognize, he said there was a death in the family and that he was going to print the publication later. Well... I called again several months later and finally got him again by the unidentifiable phone number and he said there was a death in the family. Well I said a death doesn't last 8 months. (heartless, but true) and that our season had come and gone and we lost an entire year's worth of marketing opportunity by investing in his company. Besides... doesn't the show go on in the business world? I mean, I am all for taking care of your personal stuff, but at least make a phone call?? I was never given a chance to pursue something else. We had the slowest season so far and he still refuses to refund my money.

After reviewing fraud definitions and 'actionable' features of the crime, it sure seems to fit. What can I do??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paintedpony View Post
    I own a business in Montana. In April, I paid a local marketing company for advertisement in a very prominent publication as well as to be highlighted on a map that will be distributed to every tourist passing several points on 3 major tourist highways into my region of the state. OK, I know that it sounds like putting eggs in one basket, but the publications reach far and wide and the options in this area are VERY limited and generic where available--it was at the time what seemed like the best decision. Oh, we were also supposed to be given 500 of the maps for our customers (we are a bar, restaurant and hotel) which is SOOO helpful for them as we are, again, a tourist destination.
    So, we invested in this marketing and did not pursue much other in that specific 'type' of activity as we assumed it cover such a broad spectrum.

PROBLEM: I finally got nervous as the tourist season came....and began to go......and we never got the maps we were promised. And, I kept asking our customers if they had received a map at the check points---no they hadn't. Ok, so long story short---he never even printed either publication. NOTHING!
    So I have called and complained and emailed and complained etc....he won't return emails and won't answer his phone if his ID says it's me calling. I called from a number he wouldn't recognize, he said there was a death in the family and that he was going to print the publication later. Well.....I called again several months later and finally got him again by the unidentifiable phone number and he said there was a death in the family. Well I said a death doesn't last 8 months. (heartless, but true) and that our season had come and gone and we lost an entire year's worth of marketing opportunity by investing in his company. Besides...doesn't the show go on in the business world? I mean, I am all for taking care of your personal stuff, but at least make a phone call???????? I was never given a chance to pursue something else. We had the slowest season so far and he still refuses to refund my money.

After reviewing fraud definitions and 'actionable' features of the crime, it sure seems to fit. What can I do????

Sue him - either in Small Claims or in a higher Court (which will probably require an Attorney), depending on the dollar amount.

Sue for the return of your money. In this economy I don't know if you can prove that you lost money due to his failure to deliver but that will be your burden of proof. Proving you lost business due to one factor is difficult but if you have records and know how other similar businesses in your area fared, you may very well have a good case.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Dec 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
    JudyKayTee's succinct answer is right on the money (pardon the pun).

We just wanted to comment on your header which reads "Matter of Principal." To some of those in the legal profession that is music to their ears. It often means a client is blinded to the economics of litigation and will spend just about anything to make a point.

In many cases, the decision to litigate should be made like any business decision where one must ask if they will see a reasonable return on their investment?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    JudyKayTee's succinct answer is right on the money (pardon the pun).

We just wanted to comment on your header which reads "Matter of Principal." To some of those in the legal profession that is music to their ears. It often means a client is blinded to the economics of litigation and will spend just about anything to make a point.

In many cases, the decision to litigate should be made like any business decision where one must ask if they will see a reasonable return on their investment?

Wow - this is good and to the point. Yes, once a client comes into an Attorney's office and wants to discuss "fair" and "moral" you can see the hours begin to mount.

I realize it's very, very difficult, when you're in the situation, to separate the what should happen from the law says will happen.

Love the principle part!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 16, 2008, 09:19 AM

When the goods aren't produced as promised, and they don't contact YOU, it is really suspicious. i.e. fraud.

Do you have a receipt with a business registration/tax number on it? Have you checked online to see if others are in the same boat? (I suspect there are many).

Keep all copies of everything, dates, times, email. If you send mail via the post office, register it.

It unfortunately sounds like you will have to go to court for recovery, and I wish you well.

All you can do is provide proof that you tried to get what you paid for, and let him explain why you didn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Agreement in Principal [ 1 Answers ]

What is exactly is an agreement in Principal? If a developer has sold a piece of land and is proposing an agreement in principal which will disclose is contract with a third party prior to a group of investors removing a Les Pendens, is this a good idea? Does an agreement in principal protect both...

Ventury Principal [ 1 Answers ]

What is the ventuery principal? What is the relation between Pressure and velocity corresponding to ventury principal for gas?

Principal balance [ 5 Answers ]

what is the principal balance on the automobile mean? is that the remaining balance that is owed on the vehicle? I am trying to find out what kind of equity I have in my vehicle approximate value of car minus the principal balance equals the equity ?? Principal balance is that the balance...

Principal place or places of business [ 1 Answers ]

Would a franchisor's franchisees locations be legally considered among the franchisor's Places of business? I was employed by a franchisor as the company representative to the franchisees. I have reason to believe that my former employer may have misclassified my overtime exemption status as an...

View more questions Search