Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    book42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Word 2003 Horizontal Ruler Malfunction
    One document seems to have become corrupted. Under "page setup" I have chosen Letter, and it's set to 8.5 x 11 inches. Top & Bottom = 1", L & R = 1.25"

However, the horizontal ruler on top of the page starts at the left-hand corner, but it ends before it gets to the right-hand corner. It is not registering all 8.5 inches across.

This is causing my text to be squished into a smaller area to the left-hand side of the document. If I center the text, it's about 2 inches off center when it's print-previewed or printed.

I've tried holding the Alt key while clicking and dragging the white area of the ruler as far as it can go, and I've figured out that the horizontal ruler is set at 8.06 instead of 8.5 inches. When you add the standard 1.25 inch L & R margins, that is what's causing the 2 inch difference.

Please help! I can't find any answers online about this strange problem. I've attached a screenshot.
    Attached Images

JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 06:29 PM

You accidentally gotten the Markup/Track Changes feature activated.

Turn on the REVIEWING Toolbar and click the Track Changes icon to deselect it if it is highlighted.

Then click on the menu View > Markup to make sure it is deselected, too. That should make those 2 inches disappear.

That used to happen to me all the time.
    dlarsson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    You accidentally gotten the Markup/Track Changes feature activated.

Turn on the REVIEWING Toolbar and click the Track Changes icon to deselect it if it is highlighted.

Then click on the menu View > Markup to make sure it is deselected, too. That should make those 2 inches disappear.

That used to happen to me all the time.
    Thanks for the question AND the answer!! Much appreciated.

Dave Larsson

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word 2003 Horizontal Line Bug [ 11 Answers ]

I just cannot remove this horizontal line which word 2003 has inserted in my document. I also can't seem to highlight it. I have switched off auto format as you type 'border lines' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried highlighting it (though it never seems to be selectable) and...

Clipboard malfunction in MS Word 97 , 2002. [ 1 Answers ]

While copying from Ms word 97 or Ms word 2002 (XP) we cannot copy in clipboard, though Clipboard copy and paste functions are all right with all other applications. It can copy from one MS word Version to another version and vice versa but the same Cannot be copied to any other application. ...

Missing File with Word 2003 (all Office 2003 programs) [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started having problems opening any of my Office 2003 Professional programs. The files seem to open, but an error pops up saying that I'm missing a file named PS561401.cab, and can not open without reinstalling the program. I don't have the installation disks for Office, as this...

Horizontal Line in MS Word 2000 [ 13 Answers ]

How can I remove the Horizontal Line that goes completely across the page? How can I prevent it from happening again? I think there is something about holding down a key and pressing the "=" three times, but I cannot remember. Thanks.

View more questions Search