Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishwen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Siblings legally allowed to share a room
    I may need to move in my daughter in law and her two children as she is soon to be homeless. I am happy to open my home to the Grandkids and her but our son/her ex will not approve and try to make it hard for us. I want to do things legally, right and upfront to avoid any real problems. Can a Mom, 5 year old daughter and 2 year old son share the same bedroom? It's temporary, until she can get some money put away and get another place for them all... also, if that is not allowed can the two siblings share a room if she takes the couch in the living room? We are located in the state of Maryland.
    Thanks
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 05:14 PM

This question has come up a few times before on this board. I'm in California so I cannot speak specifically about Maryland law.

I will say that California has no laws addressing your question. So here the answer is, yes, of course your daughter and her two kids can share a room. Homeless people sometimes live out of their cars, in hotel rooms, and any place that will take them. Although it is sad, I've seen entire families (mom, dad, 3 kids) all crammed into little single wide mobile homes (600 sq. ft) or travel trailers designed for temporary use.

I think we are awfully spoiled in the US and forget about people in other places living in cardboard boxes with no running water. I'd be very surprised if Maryland or any state had specific regulations addressing your situation. Now I have heard of regulations (probably fire/health and safety regulations) that limit the number of people that can occupy certain dwellings (you know, you can't have 5 families living in a one bedroom apartment with one toilet, that sort of thing) but I don't think that was the focus of your question.

I think you'll be fine. Just make your daughter and grandkids as comfortable as you can with what you've got and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If anything, you deserve a pat on the back for being such a kind-hearted person. You certainly shouldn't have to worry about anyone being critical of you because you cannot provide 5-star accommodations to your daughter and grandkids.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 05:22 PM

I don't know of any state with such laws either. As mentioned the only real problem would be if the number of people in the room some how blocked the fire exits. Do you own your own home or rent an apartment? If the home is yours then you should not have any problems. It is true that while it is sometimes nice to each have our own space there is no requirement for it. I would put the three of them in one room (as long as it doesn't create a fire hazard) and keep the living room as is to allow for a little more space in that room and everyone should be much more comfortable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 05:30 PM

The only time there are laws that deal with this are in reference to public housing or if there is a complaint of abuse. I seriously doubt if there would be any legal issue in this arrangement.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 08:28 PM

There are no real laws on the issue,
    The non custodial parent may try and show it as a issue if they wanted to try and get custody.

But on the surface, can not the kids use the bedroom and parent sleep on couch,

But this is your son complaining, have you not as the parent set him straight and told him to pay up to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Siblings in same room [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old boy and a three year girl are they legally allowed to share the same room in Ohio?

Siblings of opposite sex wants to share room. [ 1 Answers ]

My 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter want to share a room. I have 4 children altogether. The home we are in is a 4 bedroom and currently my 11yr old and 8 yr old boys are constantly fighting. My 4th child is only 7mos old and he wakes 3-4 times a night so he can't be roomed with my 8 yr old do to...

How old is an infant allowed to sleep in a crib inside the mothers room and her boyfr [ 2 Answers ]

How old does an infant to be to be moved in to there own room and not share it with a mother and her boyfriend?

Should I share a room with him? [ 6 Answers ]

So my situation is a bit tricky, in my opinion, but I thought it might help to get advice. So... I'm 23. I have a "first date" coming up with a guy I've liked for a while. He actually went to my high school, but I didn't know him at the time, only who he was. He's about 25. At some point, he...

When Renting An Apt. Can kids (boy & girl) share a room? [ 1 Answers ]

I get numerous calls from families wanting to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, when what they really need is a 3 bedroom apartment. :confused: Is there a law that states how many children can fit into 1 bedroom (their parents would have their own bedroom)? :confused: Is there a law against a boy...

View more questions Search