Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeret Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Anonymity and security on the net
    This question is about privacy, anonymity and security when on the net.

I have installed the Vidalia bundle of TOR and Privoxy programs on my computer. The intent of those programs is to route your internet activity through several, often many servers, thus making it difficult to find the origination point.

However, on their webpage Tor: Download - there is a section that explains that it won’t protect your traffic if plugins, such as Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime or Adobe’s PDF are used. Since most people will have those plugins, I’m wondering why Tor is considered useful.

Prior to reading the above, I went to a site using Java and was surprised to see them displaying my IP address. If my IP address is known, my local area is known and it’s possible to get my name and street address from my ISP.

I reconfigured and went to the site What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... - and, again, my IP address was displayed. But, a note said, (Now detects many proxy servers). If my IP address is shown, what’s the point of many proxy servers?

So, is there anything I can do to ensure my privacy?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeret View Post
    Prior to reading the above, I went to a site using Java and was surprised to see them displaying my IP address. If my IP address is known, my local area is known and it’s possible to get my name and street address from my ISP.
    That's not necessarily true. Knowing your IP leads someone to your ISP. But depending on your ISP, that doesn't pinpoint your location. For example, you could find out that I use Optimum Online as my ISP. But knowing that could mean I may be anywhere in the Greater NYC area. That could mean being in NYC, LI, NJ or CT. That's a pretty large area. My sig pinpoints me even closer. And to get my name and address from my ISP would require a court order.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeret View Post
    Why do you need to? Like I said, other then a general area, knowing your IP doesn't get one too far. So what are you doing that you need greater anonymity?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Prior to reading the above, I went to a site using Java and was surprised to see them displaying my IP address.
    Well Tor answered that one for you
    If my IP address is known, my local area is known and it's possible to get my name and street address from my ISP.
    NOT without a court order they won't!

I reconfigured and went to the site What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... - and, again, my IP address was displayed. But, a note said, (Now detects many proxy servers). If my IP address is shown, what's the point of many proxy servers?
    Did you also disable ALL plug ins?

The real question is WHY do you want to remain so anonymous on the net.
    Do you use Webmail, e-mail, cell phone, ISP, etc, then you will NEVER have true privacy anyway.

It's not a case of hiding your location, but misdirection.
    Do you use the same or similar ID's elsewhere ?
    Think smarter ;)
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 8, 2008, 06:56 AM

Ghostsurf will let you surf anonymously (you're essentially "hiding" behind their IP addresses) - you have to purchase the service yearly, and it only runs on Windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Anonymity on House Deed/Public Records? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to not have my name on my house deed because it is a public record and can be looked up easily by surnames? (this is for personal safety concerns) Would purchasing the home in the name of a Trust or LLC work? Any other ideas? Thank you for your help. ...

View more questions Search