Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stern0 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Internet bug
    My internet stops working every so often. Can't find the site. When I go to earthlink.net it works and then the other sites work, really weird. Any Ideas?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
    If you could give us a shed load more detail we maybe able to resolve your issue.
    Information that would be helpful would be things like:
    • Operating system
    • Installed apps ie Anti virus, anti spyware
    • Internet connection
    • What you are doing and where you are when this happens
    • Any trouble shooting you have done
    • etc

For starters some simple things to try;

Have you made sure all your drivers and patches are up to date ?
    Worth trying are some other anti spyware/virus apps and some system maintenance.
    (I'm going to assume that you are using XP even tho' you didn't mention.
    Most of these steps will work with any Operating System)

Here's some steps for you to take.
    1/ Remove temp files and other rubbish form your system, either with inbuilt Disc Clean up or CCleaner.
    (Disc clean up; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Disc clean up button on general tab. Let it run and select everything)

2/ To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)
    Also helps if the scanning is done in Safe mode as well as normal mode.

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

The use of a number of different scanners is a must as they check for infections in different ways.

Jul 5, 2006, 03:50 PM
    I'm running windows xp, I use IE ,I have Mcafee anti-virus.I use a dsl connection. I just surfing when this happens. I have run various anti spyware apps. I remove the temp. files every so often. Thanks for the help.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 10, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Are you connected via wireless of ethernet connection? Are you using a separate router and are other PCs able to surf while you are booted off?

How long have you had dsl service and how long has this problem been happening?

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by Stern0
    I'm running windows xp, I use IE ,I have Mcafee anti-virus.I use a dsl connection. I just surfing when this happens. I have run various anti spyware apps. I remove the temp. files every so often. Thanks for the help.

Jul 10, 2006, 11:35 AM
    I am using an ethernet connection, A router. Another PC could use the internet when this PC is off and that one works fine.I have dsl for about 5 month and I've had this problem since the beginning. It seems that .net websites always work. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet speed [ 6 Answers ]

Is there any programs out there that can help my computer surf the web better/faster? I have an old computer to give you an idea of its... I don't know... preformance I can barely run Asherons call on this computer, I tried morpheous, but I think its gearedtowards dial-up rather then ADSL (which I...

Internet ? [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine sign on to blackplant.com but can no longer get into their home page from their cpu but I can get in to their home pg from my cpu is their a way to solve this problem if so how?

LAN to LAN via Internet... [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First hope that I'm not causing heaache for you... If not please continue... I'm building up another Domain(no forests and no trees), that domain will be in another location. So I'll have two local area networks, where each of them is in a totally different and distant...

Internet explorer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my internet explorer browser every time I'm on a web page and I click on the internet explorer icon to bring up a new internet explorer the first page keep changing ,I'm using windows xp this is the fist time I'm seeing this how can I fix it please .thanks in advance

Internet explorer 6 [ 2 Answers ]

I got the system with win98SE platform. It got a IE 5in it. Now, I want to upgrade it to IE 6. But, whenever I down load the installation file from the Microsoft site which is for 436 kb & when I run it, it tells, previous installation is not completed & restart the machine to install IE6. So, I...

View more questions Search