Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Ceiling fans are making some noise, slight vibration and one has been slow even when
    I have seven ceiling fans that were installed shortly after we had this home built almost four years ago. All are from Lowe's and are the Harbor Breeze brand.

The one in the great room has a five foot drop from a 20 foot ceiling. When on the high speed has some swaying and makes a slight noise.

The one in my office has a one foot drop from a ten foot ceiling; slight sway on mid and high speed and is sometimes making a "whirling" noise that is coming from the motor I believe. The noise comes and goes...

The last fan that I am having a problem with is in the sun room. Even on high speed it only goes like it is on low speed. It has been this way since the first day it was installed.

I went to the web site that was suggested for help and I quickly reminded myself that that I am NOT mechanically inclined... so any help or suggestions that you may have will be appreciated. Even if it is to hire an expert...

Thanks,
    Stringer
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 01:02 PM

I had a Harbor Breeze fan that started to get noisy. My son (Mrs. Fix-it's son) spent days and days trying to make it quieter with no luck. I had to replace the fan and now it's quiet.

Unfortunately with the Harbor Breeze fans (I have owned many) the only true "fix" for them is replacement. Sorry.

The one in the sun room should have been changed out and the nonworking one sent back to the store. Now it's a tad too late to return it and get a new one. If you want a speed higher than low, replacement is the only way to go. (no rhyme intended).
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 02:35 PM

First of all, stop your fans from shaking by balancing them:

Ceiling fan blade balancing issues - Ceiling Fans N More

This may solve some of the other issues too.

The fan that only goes on low, how is it controlled? It sounds like a bad capacitor:

Ceiling fan capactors - troubleshooting and resources - Ceiling Fans N More

And for all other issues, take a look at:

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

I figure since you have a lot of fans, this is easier :)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks to both of you, I will check the web sites.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Combi boiler vibration noise [ 11 Answers ]

Hey guys. We have lived in our house for 3 years now and I don't think the vailant combi boiler was that old when we moved in. it has worked fine up till now but when we turn the hot water tap on, it starts to make a sort of vibration type noise. It is then fine as soon as we turn the tap off...

Heat pump noise while in reg heat - not fans or vibration [ 2 Answers ]

Our heat pump makes a loud noise while in regular heat. Emergency heat and Ac setting do not make the noise. The noise seems to be in the copper pipes. It's not the squirle cage or fans. The copper feed lines are not blocked. Our inside unit is a 1990 Rudd while the outside unit was replaced...

Loud noise/ vibration after flushing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a situation where a loud noise comes from the plumbing in the wall after you flush and the water fills back up. The noise starts after the water is full and it shuts off. If the toilet is used often the noise/ vibration does not happen. But if it's only used once in awhile as soon as the...

My ceiling fan is making a loud noise [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and a few months ago it started making a really loud humming sound all of the time. I have no idea how to fix it. We tried WD 40 but nothing changed. Please help, the noise is driving me crazy!

View more questions Search