Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13Mike13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 12:06 AM
    No heat, blower doesn't stop, can't see rollout switch, Payne 399AAV
    I have a Payne 399AV that is about 15yr old. Just started to blow non-stop with no heat. Pressed the reset on the auxiliary limit switch, no change. Looking for flame rollout switch shown in Manual can't find. Had a friend look he couldn't find it either. Am I missing it? Filter hadn't been replaced often enough so it wasn't receiving enough air flow. If there isn't a rollout switch is there something I should look at?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 06:28 AM
    You might look near the top of the furnace.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 08:48 AM

The main limit switch is likely stuck open. The continuous blower operation is a designed function of an open high-limit. You may be able to get it to reset my tapping on it; normally it resets itself when it cools, but if it has been tortured by repeated and frequent cycling, it may be stuck.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 10:43 AM

If you will look at the fire wall of the furnace you will see a piece inserted into the furnace, this is the limit switch. One of the wires may have a fuse in it, it will look like a small firecracker, or a diaod. Somehow use a jumper and short around this fuse. If the motor stops running then the fuse is bad and needs replacing.

Dec 7, 2008, 09:42 PM

Here is what I have tried so far. Replaced batteries in thermostat, took the wires off the limit switch attached to the blower and linked them the blower was still going. I'll have to try more tomorrow. Thanks for all of the responses.

Dec 10, 2008, 12:25 PM

The limit switch attached to the blower and the fuse in the wire in the burner don't seem to be the culprit . I would assume then that my main limit switch didn't reset but I didn't have any luck with it. I think I'll call in the pros. Thanks for your help
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 09:29 PM

Cool, but the system may have an overheating condition that caused the switch to keep cycling and eventually stick open. Check your air filter if you haven't already, and keep an eye on the system for the next few days. Replacement of the limit switch would be recommended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

Rollout limit switch? [ 2 Answers ]

I (trying to save myself money) tried to fix my furnace(carrier 9000) model. During the process I broke the rollout limit switch(mistaking it for the ignitor). I called local repair man he came out cleaned the ignitor/checked all the faults and so forth... but he didn't have any of the limit...

Payne heat pump -- will not run [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My problem started with the compressor not running with the heat switch on. I checked the thermostat wiring and found that the tstat was not wired per the manual for a heat pump with aux heat. I fixed that problem and the unit would run but not blow warm air. I called out a technician and...

Bryant rollout switch [ 2 Answers ]

I've looked for the rollout switch and can't seem to find it or knows what it looks like I've read some of the ?'s and having the same problem it is blinking 3/3 so I changed the filter etc etc BUT WHERE IS THE ROLLOUT SWITHCH am I just blind any help

Brayant 80t furnace, 'Limit or flame rollout switch is open"? [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am new here and am having a furnace problem. As a new homeowner I would like to take a look at this myself before just grabbing the phone books. I have a Bryant 80t furnace. Built in 2000 and has been serviced every other year. Unit is clean and in good shape. Woke up to a cold house and...

View more questions Search