Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamaica123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
    How do I get my children back from a state adoption
    7years ago my children were removed from my care due to me being involved in an abusive relationship. My children were quickly adopted. I am trying to find out if it is at all possible for me to get them back in my custody and what are the steps I need to take to do so. I live in the state of Michigan
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaica123 View Post
    7years ago my children were removed from my care due to me being involved in an abusive relationship. My children were quickly adopted. I am trying to find out if it is at all possible for me to get them back in my custody and what are the steps I need to take to do so. I live in the state of Michigan

If they wre legally removed from you and legally adopted, no, you cannot get custody. They are no longer legally your children. You should have been notified of the termination of your rights and those documents should be very explicit concerning your rights.

Maybe a long time ago you had a chance. After seven years, no.

Your only hope would be that when they reach adulthood they will search you out.

In the meantime, blood or no blood, having you suddenly pop back into their lives could be disturbing and confusing to them.

Why were they removed from you if you were in an abusive relationship? Were they being abused?
    xxariesxx Posts: 202, Reputation: 40

Dec 6, 2008, 08:47 PM
    I don't know the exact circumstances or how old the children are, but 7 years is a long time to pop back into their lives unexpectedly. Why don't you think of them and how they would feel about that? You can't assume to have a positive reaction...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxariesxx View Post
    I don't know the exact circumstances or how old the children are, but 7 years is a long time to pop back into their lives unexpectedly. Why don't you think of them and how they would feel about that? You can't assume to have a positive reaction...

Whatever the circumstances, adoption is forever. They have new parents. The OP no longer has any rights and is, in the eyes of the law, a stranger to these children.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 08:43 AM

I agree with the others. The Children's court only allows you so much time to 'fix' any problems. If they see the same conditions then they adopt them out and terminate your rights.
    As the others said all you can do is wait until they turn 18 or 21 and try and get reunited with them.
    Children's services has a very broad definition of abuse and they often even will define something that is not abuse as abuse so even if you do not feel it was abuse in the Children's court it was.

When they adopted my one son out they allowed me to have visitations and allowed him to make the choice who he wanted to live with at a certain age. I don't know why they didn't offer you that option but by now that would not be an option they would approve for you at this stage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption with my children [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I have been very curious about this situation. I am getting married next Aug. and I am wanting my fiancé to be able to adopt my kids. My oldest son is 8 and his biological father has not been in his life at all. HE is not on the birth certificate and hasn't paid any child support. He has always...

Want My Children to Visit Me. Order is from State Where Children No Longer Live [ 8 Answers ]

Children were living with mother in Hawaii when order was signed. Children and mother are now living in NC, have been for 3 years. Does State of NC have jurisdiction or do we have to go back to Hawaii? I want my children to come visit me where I live and she is saying I have to go to NC to visit...

Washington state adoption process [ 5 Answers ]

Do I need to hire an attorney to have my husband adopt my daughter? Her biological dad has only seen her 5 times in her life. She is 9 now. It has been 18 months since any contact has been made. Im not even sure where he is but I have heard and am pretty sure he is overseas now. My husband is the...

Desperate to get my kids back from the state from across state lines! [ 2 Answers ]

I've been fighting for almost 2 years now against the state of ky to bring my 3 girls home. I am not a druggie nor did I abuse my children. Their father was abusive and I was DETERMINED to keep the family together. When everything between us fell apart after 10 years due to the violence, Social...

When are children of parent in prison elligible for adoption? [ 4 Answers ]

If a parent goes to prision for two years or more, when will the children be up for adoption? Or will they remain with a legal guardian and the parent is able to come back and retrieve them when cleared of sentence?

View more questions Search