Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annekohl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Vintage GE Oven - Fix or Replace?
    My 1963 GE single wall oven, model JC16W2BC, quit. I was preheating it when a halogen flood light on the same circuit as the oven blew out. I replaced the bulb and a short time later noticed that the oven was not getting very hot & that the bake element wouldn't glow red, no matter how high I turned the thermostat. I speculate that the bake element is kaput, brought on by a voltage spike.

The questions are:
    - reasonable diagnosis? How to confirm?
    - fix or replace? Considering the oven's age, should I expect a lot more problems? (Consumer reports seems to think so).
    - if fix, should I try to do it myself or call a repairman? Does it sound straightforward? I don't know much about electricity/ovens, but I have common sense, an inquiring mind, and basic tools like a screwdriver and voltmeter :)
    - if fix where can I find parts? Not finding this old model in anyone's online database, I called GE twice and got 2 different answers: #1: order #WB44X125 for $70.20, #2: they no longer have parts for this 45-yr-old oven.

Thanks for your help.

- Anne
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 04:40 PM

It might be more than just the element involved. Best bet would be to replace the unit entirely. It is after all 45 years old.
    ShadyLady Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Dec 10, 2008, 02:17 AM

A lot of parts made for appliances were "universal" and thus made to fit many other models. It actually might not be that hard to find parts for your stove. They always tell you that in order to !) make you think it's a "special" order and jack up the price 2) sell you a new apliance.
    There's one way to make a simple test to find out if it's just your element. Switch your broiler element with your oven element. If it works, then you just need a new oven element. It's probably a screw in type. Just call around to see if anyone has one. Sometimes even a local repair shop might carry one. Find a small shop--they're more helpful and honest.
    A new bake element should cost you around $35--maybe less.
    If the broiler element doesn't work, you may have a fuse in this stove, or you may have blown the control switch. You can find those too. If necessary, bring in the old part to the shop and they can find you one from another machine. They do this all the time--get parts from other machines.
    I don't like the "newer" stuff--especially the digital computer controlled. They are of inferior quality and cost outrageous for parts and repair. And they seem to break down faster.
    An oven element should take you about 10 minutes to replace.
    If you absolutely cannot find anything locally, there are places online that carry parts for your stove. Easyapplianceparts.com is one, but the prices will be slightly higher and you will pay for shipping. That's why I try to go local first.
    Why spend $1000 when you can spend $40?

Dec 10, 2008, 02:20 AM
    A stove that is 45 years old and still working is something to brag about. You'd make a good advertisement for GE!
    jhicks024 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 09:45 PM

I just ran into the same problem. Go outside and find the circuit breakers (I had two 30 amp fuses) and turn them on and off a couple of times to reset it. You can find the proper switch by having someone or running back yourself and seeing if the light turns off in the oven. I was told the reason is because the oven needs a 220 circuit and they just ran it off two 110 circuits. One fuse was tripped so the lights still work but the element didn't heat up. Let me know if that worked.
    mkstam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
    I just ran into the same problem and want to keep my vintage oven. I was told I need an oven switch part # NOS J151P (240 volt GE oven) I've looked on line and haven't found it. Don't know what to do next. Anyone?

Feb 15, 2009, 07:32 PM

It used to be that these parts were fairly universal. Go to a local repair shop with the old part and ask them to find a replacement. Sometimes they can "match it up". You would be surprised. "NOS" means "new original stock" but that doesn't mean an experienced repairman can't find something for you. Try a shop that has been in business for years.

It's even possible that if you to contact the General Electric Company they might be able to dig something up for you.
    mkstam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 12:20 AM

Thanks! I'll do exactly that. Much obliged.

:)
    BeadinVegan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 11:15 AM

My vintage pink GE oven also suddenly stopped working, and guess what!
    jhicks024, you saved the day!
    Even though there was no sign of trouble with the electricity, I flipped the circuit brakers a couple of times - and now both the broiling and baking elements are working fine again. Oh happy day!
    (I love my oven so very much, I even made a web page in honor of our kitchen: Welcome to Bonnie and Parke's in Kitchen)

Annekohl, a few years ago my baking element went out, and I took it to a TV repair shop, and they re-soldered something on the end - and that fixed the problem. Appliance repair shops wouldn't even look, but the old TV guy was happy to work on it!
    clair1601 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 03:05 PM
    I have an older general electric stove and can't understand the symbols for the oven.the info I have on it is as follows

Topb35
    Ex212271
    Camco
    v132zb T-6

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I open my oven my locked oven door [ 3 Answers ]

How can I open my locked oven door?

Several vintage items [ 3 Answers ]

We are hoping to find a good home for several intersting vintage items. Any ideas of good websites for auctions or "collectibles"? Also, part of this estate involves a huge inventory of WWII and later ham radio and electronics equip. Suggestions? Overwhelmed, Semrai

GE Electric Slide In Oven Door Hinge repair or replace [ 1 Answers ]

My oven door hinge is not functioning properly. When I open it the hinge does not open all the way and pulls on the door. Do I need to replace he hinge. You can see the metal pull on the door panel. The oven is 14 years old. Is is worth replacing the hinge or should we think about replacing...

Use oven self clean on kenmore oven [ 1 Answers ]

I have misplaced my owner manual. How is the self cleaning option used on a Kenmore built-in oven/microwave combination?

Vintage Voltage [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone heard of a lighting company called Vintage Voltage? They sell beautiful well priced chandeliers. If you have heard of them do you have contact info?

View more questions Search