Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amm8889 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Replacing blower motor - matching new to old?
    I just pulled out my old blower motor and am going to replace it. Do I have to match all the specs, i.e. must my new motor be 115v, 1phase, 1050rpm, 1/3hp, 9.9amps, 60hz.

Can I/should I choose a motor with greater rpms or greater hp?

Thanks for the help,
    Alex

Ps - I decided to replace the motor because the blower was cycling on and off even when I had the thermostat set to fan "on." I decided it must be the blower motor because I pulled the relay box and limit switch and wired the fan as a direct closed circuit (circumventing relay and switch boxes), but it still wouldn't stay on consistently. Hopefully I did the right thing...
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 5, 2006, 02:03 AM
    I would match it up exactly.. It was sized to the furnace originally I suspect.
    amm8889 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Thanks for the reply shunned. I've found motors that match everything EXCEPT the rpms (1075 vs 1050 - no biggie, I'm sure) and the AMPs. Mine says 9.9 on it and I can't find anything close to that. Is this a big deal?

Also, all the new ones seem to need capacitors, but my old one didn't have one as far as I can tell. Are these capacitors usually hidden somewhere else in the furnace other than where the blower is located?

Thanks,
    Alex

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower Motor bad or what? [ 7 Answers ]

Howdy, My FURNACE/AC blower motor has quit workng. Checked unit... the squirrel cage fan spins smoothy, no bearing noise or roughness, when turned by hand. When I turn A/C on I hear A/C unit come on but fan doesn't blow. Same when turning on heating unit. Same response in 'AUTO' or 'ON' modes....

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Blower Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have read multiple posts about wiring for blower motors and saw one that almost answered my question. I have an old blower motor that I would like to convert to a shop air filter. I know that it is a multi-speed motor. It has 8 wire connections and are labeled as such: Power cap cap ...

Blower Motor question [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and had a routine (my first) maintenance visit. The supposedly reputable plumbing technician seemed very thorough, but I wanted to be sure I'm not being taken for a ride. He put on a rubber glove, felt the blower motor & when he pulled his hand back, it was full...

Blower motor won't turn off [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central air and furnace model 28GS 036 000. This problem began with turning the furnace on for the first time this season. With the thermostat off and the fan set to auto. The blower motor keeps running. Adjusting the temperature on the thermostat and selecting cool or heat does...

View more questions Search