Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 12:52 AM

Nope.

See, that's what people who focus on the wrong thing don't see there.

They're not attacking a god they don't believe in. They're attacking the fact that established religion has a greater say in EVERYTHING in this country---and it shouldn't. It's not attacking "god", who may or may not exist (I have my views, other people have theirs--I'm not debating the existence of any gods with you); they're attacking RELIGION. Big difference there.

Betcha the people that can't see the difference are the ones that thought the kids destroyed god at the end of the Phillip Pullman books (His Dark Materials), rather than killing the head of the church, which is really rather closer to what it was.

Anyway--if it's tilting at windmills to announce your beliefs, let's just get rid of the "god" in the Pledge of Allegiance, and on our money, and in our courtrooms. I mean, if God exists with or without that stuff, what difference does it make if you have it there or not? If you believe it, it doesn't matter if it's there or not, right?

To use your words---if it's "beating an empty sack" to be atheist and to state your beliefs, I guess that's what they have left after they dump out the beliefs from the sack that other religions--primarily the Christian religions (and I say that ONLY because I've never had any OTHER religion ask me to convert, whether I've found Jesus, told me arbitrarily that I'm going to hell, knocked on my door and asked to share their beliefs with me, handed me pamphlets, etc etc etc)--have shoved into their hands repeatedly. Maybe they're tired of holding a sack holding the imaginary friend of someone else. Maybe they're just trying to get the last of the dirt out of the sack so that they can use it for something other than belief?

Whatever it is, they have JUST AS MUCH RIGHT to their beliefs (or lack thereof) as your or I have to our beliefs. If one religious group (and I term atheists as a religion ONLY because it fits into the religious freedoms thing--I understand that it's a lack of belief in a higher being, rather than a belief "in" something) can put their beliefs/opinions/symbols on the public green, then every OTHER religion can put their beliefs/opinions/symbols on the public green too.

They weren't stopping anyone from practicing their beliefs. They were just putting an alternate point of view out there.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Dec 6, 2008, 01:06 AM

I wonder if a sign saying "Jesus is Lord" or "Jesus is God" (I've seen the former and I think I've seen the later) is not equally attacking atheist beliefs in the same manner as an atheist sign saying "There is no God".

Aren't the Christian's promoting that there is a God in Jesus; why can't the athiests have equal freedom to say there is no God? And how does saying "there is no God" any more of an attack on a religion that it is to say "there is a God" which would attack the core values of those who don't believe in God?
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 01:44 AM

Okay, finally found the original news story (stories). Shame on you Ex for not giving me a damned link! Couldn't look earlier because I was at work, and linking the wording to the sign got me about 20938723049687 hits. Too many bloggers talking about it!

Anyway--the deal is this: Both displays were given permits by the government, applied for WELL ahead of time. This wasn't a random atheist response put up on the spot by someone ticked off by a tree--it was planned, by a group that's been around for some years, and has placed another sign with the same words on it in the Wisconsin capitol building for many years. This year, they decided to add it to Washington's state capitol building as well. So what?

What's hilarious about this is that it started with a public display of a menorrah. Then someone wanted to put in a nativity scene, asked for it too close to Christmas, sued (instead of just realizing it was a TIMING issue, not a discrimination issue), and got to put it up this year. Since the nativity scene lawsuit was publicized, the FFRF decided to apply for THEIR permit as well, and it was granted.

Basically, ANY religious group (or any group with a belief system) can put up their religious symbol in the capitol, as long as they apply for a permit in advance. So--I could apply now for next year's display and be able to put up a Saturnalia display next year if I want to. Or whatever.

Like the group says---freedom OF religion is also freedom FROM religion. Stating "Jesus is Lord" on a billboard is EXACTLY the same offense level as this sign.

BOTH displays in the capitol were privately funded, and are taken up and put down by private parties, as is the Christmas tree that is there every year as well.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Yes they applied for and were granted a permit and that is the issue. I don't have an issue with atheists wanting in on the action, I have issues with the state of Washington approving such an attack.

The group said the purpose of their sign was “not to coerce but just to have a place at the table,” and yet their display is not about having a place at the table, it's an attack plain and simple. Where is the attack in displaying a Menorah? Where is the attack in displaying a nativity scene? How on earth can anyone justify their display on state property, especially next to such innocuous displays? Where was the civility, where was the decorum? Should the state allow Christians to put up a sign next to theirs saying "Repent and believe in Jesus or spend eternity in hell?" How would that go over?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Hello again:

I don't know. You guys talk about civility and decorum. You talk about attacks. How come you don't talk about the law?? Cause, maybe you don't like it. You want YOUR stuff displayed, but nobody else's. That ain't very Christianlike... But, I'm used to you Christians NOT being Christianlike.

You know, THIS is the very reason why our founders separated the church from the state. The bottom line, is there should be NO religious displays in the public square. Cause if you get the one you want, you're also going to get the one you DON'T want.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 07:11 AM
    And there again that's a myth, the founders did NOT eliminate God from government. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion," and the rest of the power is delegated to the states. It is a right of the people, giving constitutional immunity from federal dictation in matters of religion.

You say it "ain't very Christianlike," but I'm not saying they can't have a display, that's up to the state to decide. The state of Washington obviously thinks it's lawful for atheists to attack everyone who believes in God -Christian or not - on state property. Christians and Jews just wanted to display symbols of their beliefs, I'll allow for atheists to do the same. Is that what they did? I suppose so if hatred is a symbol of their beliefs, or is that not really "atheistlike" behavior?
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I'll allow for atheists to do the same. Is that what they did? I suppose so if hatred is a symbol of their beliefs, or is that not really "atheistlike" behavior?
    Hello again, Steve:

”At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

I agree with the sign - absolutely and unequivocally. But, I don't hate anybody, especially YOU, or any of my other Christian friends. In fact, I don't see ANY hate in the sign - NONE!

And, that's the crux of the situation... You guys call disagreement with your viewpoint, hatred... I hate that you do that.

excon
    Expert

Dec 6, 2008, 10:08 AM

First off---that EXACT wording has been used in the state of Wisconsin's capitol building for years. I guess maybe Wisconsin is more tolerant of unbelief than the state of Washington. I don't know.

Second--the menorrah that someone mentioned is going up on 12/21--yet another representation of yet another religion.

Thirdly--that sign is EXACTLY what atheists believe, just as a nativity scene is EXACTLY what Christians believe.

If somehow, somewhere, insanity prevails and the sign is banned---I'm starting lawsuits against EVERY SINGLE privately paid for and put up billboard that I see that states that "Jesus is Lord" or that "God loves all the babies, even those not born"---because that's offensive to me, as a non-Christian. And frankly--for a group of people that want to keep such things as "In God We Trust" on our money, and "under God" in our pledge of allegiance, people are showing a remarkable lack of tolerance for a SIGN. How do you think those who do not believe in god feel about the money and the pledge? Can you understand NOW how offensive that is?

I retract what I said above about the wording of the sign. It doesn't need to be altered in the least. It's perfect the way it is---because it states EXACTLY what atheists believe.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

”At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.”

I agree with the sign - absolutely and unequivocally. But, I don't hate anybody, especially YOU, or any of my other Christian friends. In fact, I don't see ANY hate in the sign - NONE!

And, that's the crux of the situation... You guys call disagreement with your viewpoint, hatred... I hate that you do that.
    LOL, that's rich, ex. If I say "Jesus loves you" someone on these boards would scream about my hatred. In fact I don't have to do anything to be accused of hatred, all I have to do is be a conservative, or a Christian, or a Republican, or mention a name like Limbaugh or Malkin in passing and I'm automatically considered a purveyor of hate by some on these boards.

And yet, atheists put up a display next to harmless symbols that emphatically says everything we believe is a myth and then claims it "hardens hearts and enslaves minds" is not an attack? It isn't hatred to declare on public land that we're deluded, hard hearted, unreasonable, superstitious fools whose minds are enslaved and are out to enslave others is not hatred? That's bullsh*t, ex, and you know it.

Claiming that I call disagreement with my viewpoint hatred is also bullsh*t, it goes against all the evidence where I've agreed to disagree, where I've outright stated I don't expect people to be like me or believe like me, that it would be an awfully dull world if we were all the same.

I've conceded that they have rights here, I don't expect them to believe like me or keep silent. But I don't care if it's exactly what atheists believe or not, I don't care if they have the right to put up their display or not, I don't care that they have the freedom to say what they want - it doesn't make it the right thing to do. Where you're more concerned with their rights I'm more concerned with doing the right thing. I guarantee if Christians had put up a sign criticizing atheism in a similar manner heads would roll. But then I doubt the governor would have approved such a sign in the first place and would probably have issued a statement that the state would not be a party to such bigotry and intolerance.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 12:34 PM

By the way, everyone who is offended by "In God we trust" on their money can send theirs to me.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Missing atheist sign found in Washington state - CNN.com

According to this article the sign was stolen. It was recovered, and now has an addition - "Thou Shalt Not Steal".

Here's what to Gov. said:

"I happen to be a Christian, and I don't agree with the display that is up there," Washington Gov. Christine Gregoire told The Olympian newspaper. "But that doesn't mean that as governor, I have the right to deny their ability to express their free speech."

That is what this is about. Free speech.

And to all of you who say a nativity scene is innocuous, here's how the FFR feels:

"When people ask us, 'Why are you hateful? Why are you putting up something critical of people's holidays? -- we respond that we kind of feel that the Christian message is the hate message," he said. "On that Nativity scene, there is this threat of internal violence if we don't submit to that master. Hate speech goes both ways."

You may not agree, but this organization feels the nativity scene is an attack. So there is another question that must be asked now - how come Christians can attack non-Christians in their display? How come the state approved such a message of hate?

See? It goes both ways.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 01:42 PM

Just found this too:

The Rev. Ken Hutcherson of Redmond's Antioch Bible Church put up his own sign at the Capitol on Friday that says, in part: "There is one God. ... Atheism is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

If the atheist's sign was an attack, why attack back? Why not turn the other cheek? Instead, Christians have resorted to theft, destruction of property, and an equal attack by changing one word. The sign just gets more and more accurate, doesn't it?

Local News | Capitol holiday-display controversy turning into "circus" | Seattle Times Newspaper
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab View Post
    Just found this too:

The Rev. Ken Hutcherson of Redmond's Antioch Bible Church put up his own sign at the Capitol on Friday that says, in part: "There is one God. ... Atheism is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

If the atheist's sign was an attack, why attack back? Why not turn the other cheek? Instead, Christians have resorted to theft, destruction of property, and an equal attack by changing one word. The sign just gets more and more accurate, doesn't it?

Local News | Capitol holiday-display controversy turning into "circus" | Seattle Times Newspaper
    I also watched this Rev. on the news stating the exact signage.I totally agree with jillianleab in this.

The need of this representative to defend his position about his purist beliefs and then to attack the atheists in this way... well... shows the message all too clear.(by the way,I purposely didn't say the churches views,this is just a single individual doing this,but he represents the religion he is defending)

I wonder if the higher authorities are ever going to join the little people,in the church that is,in this statement.

This began with? A man a few years ago fighting the system because his child was made to say the pledge of allegiance?(at least that is when I became of this argument in the public forum.)

Been a long time coming,what with this type of information has been on the money and capital buildings for more than 200 years.

KBC
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 04:56 PM

Say Ex, if you don't like Christmas, then go to work on that day and treat it like any other day. I don't have Xmas decorations anymore. I don't even put up a tree anymore. It's been years and years since I've had a tree. And yes, I did have to work on Christmas several years in a row. I don't go overboard buying presents anymore like I used to. Somehow it's okay for other people to celebrate whatever they want, whenever they want. I just don't have to participate if I don't want to. And no, I am not an atheist either. Christmas is for kids and Santa Clause and gifts. The real Christmas is in your heart and deeds done to your fellow man. I don't care who puts up what religious display in the town square. It's their money and if they choose to do this, so be it whether it is Christian, pagan, Kwanza, Jewish menorah, nativity, or a sign that says There is No God. People nowadays are getting nuts over this religious display stuff. Can't they find something else to spend their energy on instead of arguing about a religious display? Guess not. We've become a nation of litigious people.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Hello twink:

It's OK. I'll look out for YOUR First Amendment rights for you. Somebody's got to do it.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello twink:

It's ok. I'll look out for YOUR First Amendment rights for you. Somebody's got to do it.

excon
    Thank you dear Ex. Please look out for my First Amendment rights for me. I'm too busy to do this all by my lonesome and you're such a big, strong, silent (?) type that is quite cabable of doing this for me. Sigh!

Actually I'm busy taking down my Halloween decorations I didn't put up.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 10:00 AM
    “At this season of the Winter Solstice may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.“

The way I see it, everyone should have their rights... of course. But I don't think my heart is hardened for believing in God, nor do I think anyone's is hardened for not believing in God. I think that part was a little shocking.
    In ways of course religion enslaves your mind, just like anything you believe in, it becomes a part of you and you go with it. Just like someone would go on without religion their mind is enslaved to NOT believe in the same thing as others.
    I think this time is a beautiful time of the year, it brings more charity, volunteers, it brings us all together, to me that isn't so heart hardening, is it?
    We should all just come together and if you want to BECAUSE IT IS YOUR RIGHT, you get to choose not to read it;) (you can thank me later ex;))

Synn, you are exceptional when it comes to this subject! I have to add that in because you are wonderful at explaining it best. I do think the sign could have left the harden of hearts part out. Other than that, I think we all should have the same rights and that goes for the rights not to read it or watch it.;)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 11:55 AM

Well said Start... 22

Stringer
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 8, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Here is the text :

What does it say positive about atheism ? nothing . all it does is attack other's faith . maybe you should edit the posting to say it is some anti-theist group.

Christmas was declared a United States Federal holiday in 1870 by an act of Congress .

An Overview of U.S. Holidays

By that reasoning it is perfectly acceptable to have Christmas celebrated in the public square.

1] why don't the atheists try to pull that crap in Iran or Pakistan or Indonesia or Saudi Arabia and lets see what kind of reception they get.

2] " Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God. "
    - Heywood Broun

g&p
    Expert

Dec 8, 2008, 10:50 PM

The funny thing about this entire thing to me is that the Christians that are so offended are acting very UN-Christian.

Stealing the sign. Protesting instead of turning the other cheek. Getting all uptight about the entire thing instead of just acknowledging that their faith is (or SHOULD be) above it. Pastors seeing hate where there IS no hate--just no belief. Lack of belief in someone's god doesn't mean you hate them--it just means they believe in something you don't.

A woman I work with is truly one of the best Christians I have ever met in my life. She LIVES her faith. She forgives those who offend her, and tries to help them anyway. She gives of herself--she's a recovering alcoholic, sober for several years, who sponsors others in the Alcoholics Anonymous program. She goes to church every week, not just on the "big" days, says a daily meditation, and prays all the time---and all of this WITHOUT shoving it in the face of those around her. She just IS a good Christian--she doesn't PREACH being a good Christian.

It seems to me that those Christians that can be THAT offended by a sign that offers a different belief than theirs are the ones whose faith is shaken too easily---and the ones too busy pointing out the motes in the eyes of others.

If Christianity REALLY wants to get its faith out there to others, and have things go back to the "good ol' days" when they controlled basically everything in this country, from school pageants to downtown displays to whatever--the best way to convert people is to BE a good Christian instead of PREACHING Christianity.

Honestly---the best way to handle this entire situation so that it wasn't blown so far out of proportion that people are up in arms about the entire thing---and believe me, if it's not dropped, what it will lead to is NO religious displays on ANY public property, period--is that someone should have put up a sign by the nativity that said "The birth of Jesus is God's way of saying that he believes in you, even if you don't believe in Him, and that he forgives you your sins even though you do not deserve forgiveness".

That's a better retaliation, don't you think, than stealing the sign and pointing fingers and screaming "hate!!"? Wouldn't that be a more Christian and forgiving thing to do?

Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue tablet put in tank of toilet, but no blue in the bowl [ 7 Answers ]

When a use a blue Vanish tablet in the tank of my toilet the water will not stay blue in the bowl. (No blue at all after flushing in one toilet, and only very light blue in another) I think this is because of the small tube that flows into the overflow tube goes directly into the bowl as clean, not...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Part Year State Return and Unemployment Compensation from another state [ 1 Answers ]

I was living in Florida when I lost my job in June 2007 and started getting unemployment compensation from the State of Florida. I moved to Boston, MA in August 2007 and continued receiving the unemployment compensation from Florida. I got a new job in November 2007 in Boston, MA. So, my...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search