Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Wolf Dogs
    Yes, wolf dogs. I have never heard of them before but apparently there are sanctuaries for these, I will call them 'delinquent; wild life. I am providing a website where you can read about them and would invite discussion because I think its warranted if you love the dog world. Alty would be interested in this, as would Linny.

Northern Lights Wolf Centre -a place to see and learn about grey wolves in British Columbia

I answered a post today from a new member 'honeydip' saying that her 'wolf' who is l00 lbs. had ingested two tylenols and what to do. I don't know how to impose that thread, so good luck if you can find it. She hasn't been on since I answered, but basically I said that normally I would say don't worry, because the animal was over l00 lbs. but the animal being a wolf may have a different metabolism as in the Borzoi, Greyhounds, etc. and seek vet attention asap.

I hope you find this interesting.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 05:21 PM

I saw that thread,here it is for the reference.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/zoolog...ok-288278.html

I was interested in them also.I'll read that site you posted and get back to you:)

Ken

OK what type of wolf are you most like??

Canis lupus?
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:02 PM

Hi, KBC, what kind of wolf am I like...

Well... woof woof and a lot of licking... canus lovey dovey lupus

Yes, would be good to know what your opinion !
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:11 PM

I absolutely adore wolves, in the wild. As a pet, or hybrid (half dog, half wolf) I don't think that it's a good idea.

Dogs are all about instincts. Domesticated dogs still have their instincts but they've been so inbred throughout the years that they have learned to mostly tame their natural instincts when living with humans.

Wolf hybrids are relatively new, to my understanding, and I don't think that mixing a dog with a wolf will curb the wolf instinct.

They are beautiful animals, to be respected, observed, and protected, but not kept as pets.

My favorite painting is the one that I did of three wolves tracking an animal, or at least that's what I think they're doing, and since I painted the picture I can say that. ;) Of course it's a copy from another painter, I don't know what he was thinking. ;)

I love these beautiful animals, I just wish they were more protected here in Canada, sadly, they are considered a threat and a nuisance.
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:17 PM

Hi Alty, I think they are more or less protected in Canada then they ever were before, and even more so then in the Northern United States. It wasn't so long ago that I think in Montana they were hunted almost to extinction from a bounty put on wolf ears whereby they were hunted by bush pilots and shot from the air. I do believe that whatshername, Sara Palin mentioned wolf hunting in one of her speeches. I think it is still open season on wolves in Alaska.

They are amazing canines, the way they live, their loyalty, the way they raise their young, the way they have a community based on a patriarch and matriarch.
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:20 PM

I have to admit, my info is old. I hope that they are getting the protection they need, especially in Canada because we have a large wolf population here.

Heck, I live in the suburbs and I will see wolves from time to time in and around our area. You can hear them howling most nights along with the coyotes. It's a beautiful sound.

Of course my dogs join in, and that I could do without, their tempo is way off! ;)
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:22 PM

I lost my Norweigan Elkhound about 2 winters ago,I have never been so heartbroken,ever!:(

My love of the 4 legged is without comparison.Even to a significant other,the freedom of an animal like that is without compare.

Wolves are absolutely beautiful animals and if I could,I would have a small pack here in Illinois.The land we are on was and is sand prairie,a natural area for them to live,IF ONLY...

I was surprised to see that post earlier about the tylenol PM's and that dog.Makes one wonder if they had kids around with those pills lying around too...

Anyway,her dog seems to be about the average weight of an adult wolf,sure would like to see this animal,pics speak many tales(tails... ).

The delinquent status seems to be a correct wording for the problems facing the 'outcasts' from a pack,where else can they go? Man is making their natural habitat disappear,we are the cause of the delinquency in the first place,it's only right that we rehabilitate the lost souls back into the wild somehow.

On this area which I live,Buffalo were very common until man came and planted fields.We killed off the buffalo almost until extinction,is this the same thing we are going to do to the wolf?If I am right(which,occasionally I am not... lol)the wolf was or still is,on the endangered species list(at least here in the US)

To protect and rehabilitate the special animals is our responsibility.How many more species are going extinct because of man's meddling in their natural habitats.

Come, be with me,, SAVE THE WOLVES...

Kbc
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:32 PM

I'm with you KBC, lead the way! :)

I have 3 dogs, two are mixes lab/border collie and border collie/stinker. ;)

The newest edition is a beagle, he's 4 months old and actually peed on me last night.

I love them all.

Of course there's also my 4 rabbits, my bird and the 4 year old feeder fish that will outlive us all!

I'm definitely a dog person, I wish I could have more. I wouldn't bring a wolf dog into my home, because of the kids and the rabbits and my other dogs, but I would love to work with the people trying to rehabilitate these beautiful animals. They deserve so much more than what they've gotten.
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:33 PM

Googling 'wolves and the endangered species list' will bring some great results for reading about this issue.
    Pets Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

Here are some pics of these beautiful animals;

Name:  images[10].jpg
Views: 100
Size:  3.3 KB

Name:  PERMCA21EF0UCAP507I4CALO9QU4CAMMAC2LCA0LW2CVCAUZYSJCCAVHVUECCAC0ND6RCAMFO779CAC6IRGECA0VCPGHCA64.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  2.6 KB

Name:  images[5].jpg
Views: 108
Size:  5.0 KB

Name:  images[3].jpg
Views: 79
Size:  4.4 KB

Name:  XOZOCA2JMX5UCAM49O3QCAIJY3DFCATSUAAICAQLFU7HCAJT2QNYCA9IREVBCAXA0PAKCA0EJZ5UCA308TFBCA1HFXEUCAWJ.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  3.5 KB
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:49 PM

I looked into the endangered idea and mammals are under state laws while birds are federal.(US)

Modern genetics does not make it any easier to decide what constitutes a species. From a purely genetic standpoint, species don't make all that much more sense than races, since we now know that the lines between species are very blurry at best. The living world is much more a continuum of genetic material than a collection of distinct species. The view of the living world as a collection of distinct species is most likely a remnant of ancient creationist myths that claimed that some supernatural being created them separately and distinctly.

Yes,very interesting reading indeed!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 06:12 PM

A few friends of mine own full blooded wolves. They got them as cubs around 2 months old. They are very tame and non-destructive and if you didn't notice the yellow colored eyes you would mistake them for German Shepards. One female wolf rides every day in the cab of a big truck with her owner delivering supplies. Another male wolf is an "inside" wolf and spends his time under his owner's desk in his office. Another male wolf spends his time with his owner outside or following him around all day. These wolves are brothers and sister and were born in captivity in a home and raised around humans. They now weigh in over 150 lbs and still growing as they are under 2 years old. They are Siberian wolves and usually get to weigh well over 200 lbs. They don't bark but come out with a series of howls and whines. They like to romp in the snow with their thick coats. In the summer the one wolf loves to roll around in ice water. They are excellent swimmers like dogs. They do not attack people but they become very protective of their owners. The female wolf actually sleeps in a bed next to her owner. She had to have her own bed as she kept hogging her owner's bed leaving her owner no place to sleep. She actually "adopted" her owner and made her owner her "puppy" and brings raw food for her owner to chew on such as steak, fish, anything that's been in the junk that's edible. The female wolf just has to take a shower with her owner.

There is also something called a Raccoon Dog. It looks like a dog with a raccoon's head on it. They are very shy and live in the Siberia area of Russia. Some people have made pets out of them.

And if a wolf had a tylenol nothing would happen to it as their digestive system is the same as a house dog.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Dec 7, 2008, 02:56 PM
    I found that a fascinating post to read Twinkie, thanks. I love the wolves and have one myself. He howls whenever he hears the siren of an ambulance or fire engine. It can be kind of embarrassing especially when he's out of key lol! (kidding, actually he's a Rottweiler). Imagine how embarrassed my friend gets when all 4 of her Rotties go off! :eek::o
    I for one have never heard of a wolf dog or a bear dog for that matter. What a great way to keep wildlife safe through training and use of these dogs. That's what we want to see more of - acting for the benefit of the animals and in a way they'll understand. It's more about training humans than anything. After all, who's encroaching on who's space, really?
    Expert

Dec 7, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar View Post
    Fascinating post thanks Twinkie. I love the wolves and have one myself. He howls whenever he hears the siren of an ambulance or fire engine. It can be kind of embarrassing especially when he's out of key lol! (kidding, actually he's a Rottweiler). Imagine how embarrassed my friend gets when all 4 of hers go off! :eek::o
    Yes, I have one of those off key dogs too, Mop. Big old hound doggy called Taffy.

ms. twinkie and thanks for the laugh !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wolf ate 2 tylenol pm, is he going to be OK? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old north americab timber wolf that is well over 100lbs. He ate 2 tylenol pm, I'm just wondering if he is going to be OK? I tried googling the topic & some said he will some said he might not be. & for some odd reason my vet's phone has been busy. Please help

View more questions Search