Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Being Let Out Early
    I pretty much already know the answer to this question but I want it confirmed by people that know what they're talking about and I know that there are people here that do lol.

I was let out of work early today, along with several others, because there was no work left to be done for the day. My friend keeps telling me that according to her mom, who apparently took some business classes, that if a manager asks an employee to leave early for the day that said employee is still supposed to be paid for hours scheduled but not worked. I worked from 7:30 am to approximately 1 pm, minus the lunch hour since we were not dismissed until after lunch. I normally work until 5 pm. Am I actually entitled to be paid for those four hours? I have never heard of this, as far as I know, unless you're a salaried employee, if you don't work you don't get paid and I am not only hourly but also a temp.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Since you are a temp, you don't work for the company but for the temp agency. If they feel you were entitled to a full days pay, they will bill their client for it and pay you accordingly.

It really depends on the contract between the temp agency and their client. Have you checked with your rep at the temp agency?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:05 PM

If you work in the US, then if this company does this, it is just their rule, there is no reason they have to pay you for hours not worked
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Ok thanks... I didn't think they had to... I kind of wish they had looked to see if there was anyone else we could have helped but they did say we would have a lot tomorrow... I hope they're right :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 07:17 PM

Being a temp usually means you are supposed to work at least 4 hours out of 8 hours in one day. The fact you were told to go home means that you will only be paid for the time you worked - not the entire day. I seriously doubt you will be paid for the entire day. Even if you worked directly for the company you would not have been paid for the entire day if you were told to go home early as there was no work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is too early? [ 2 Answers ]

Other question about this guy who I date within 2 months... I know we are dating and have no exclusive or commitment yet, but we had sex on last time we hang out that after we date almost 2 months. Is too early? Will he think I am too easy or bad girl?.

Is it too early to tell? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend & I had sex about a week ago and we were worried that I might have gotten pregnant. But then I started my period 2 days after we had sex. I haven't noticed any pregnancy symptoms yet (besides the ones before my period had started... which I am now convinced it was just PMS from an...

To early to tell [ 1 Answers ]

I have been off the pill for a few month's now, and have unprotected sex at least 5 times a week. He always pulls out, but lately I've been having menstrual cramps even before I'm suppost to get my period. I have also been feeling really bloated and feel a pregnant like feel. I know it's probably...

Too early to tell... [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying for baby at moment. First day of last P was 18th Nov. I know it seems strange and probably far too early to tell but I can't help wondering that I may be pregnant. I have had a dull cramp (like period pains) 28/29 November, this has gone but have a feeling my P is about to start. I have...

Too early? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 16 and we have been dating for about 3 months, andi know we love each other very much, but is it too early (early as in our relationship early, not our ages) to be talking about having a life together, you know like living together after high school and marriage and such?

View more questions Search