Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unoleft Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Adding a second zone to Rheem fhw heat
    I have an 10 year old Rheem forced hot water heater I am going to add a second zone with taco zone valves I am familier with hooking up the zone vavles but how about the heating system It just has one thermastat hooked up now do I have to add a low voltage to the circuit or can it be run off the present system ty
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 08:49 PM
    It really depends upon what you have now.
    You will need
    Thermostat
    Zone valve
    Zone relay with built in 24 volt zone power supply.

Depending upon the system you might have to add a additional circulating pump or increase the capacity of the old pump by replacing it with new.

HVAC companys design what the system needs before they do the job. My recommendation is that you read up on hydronics so you can make sure your design will work and be compatible with your components you choose to use.

Design work is usually carried out after a on site visit to the job site so the system can be seen and to figure if the system boiler will actually carry the additional load. Once that calculations is made then and only then is the second zone considered.

There is more to adding a zone that some pipe and controls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO Heat in One Zone of Multiple Zone System [ 6 Answers ]

The heat in our four zone house is working except for one zone. Digital Honeywell THermostat lights up when programmed, little flame picture appears and click noise is heard, just like other thermostats, but no heat in that zone. Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix. Thanks

Adding a Zone to my hot water furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I am going from a single zone hot water system to a dual zone. Have Aqua-stat #L8148E and two thermostats with two Honeywell #V8043F 1036 zone vales already mounted & ready to go but need help with the electrical wiring. Can anyone help me with a simple schematic that will get the job done or some...

2 zone oil heat, 2nd zone runs 1st zone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 2 zone oil burner. The 1st zone (upstairs) runs separately and works no problem. The 2nd zone(basment), when we try to run 2nd zone separately , it seems to run zone 1(upstairs) and the baseboard heating upstairs gets hot and heats zone 1 even thought we have the t-stat set low...

Trouble w/ 2 zone heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 zone heat in my new home. I added the 2nd zone in threw a professional plumber. My question is it seems like it's only working 1 zone at a time? I've been waking up to 58 degrees on zone 1, can you help?

View more questions Search