Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jj58 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Office 300
    :confused: I have Office 3000 for a 60 day free trial with my computer - I had to do a system restore last week and ever since then I keep getting a pop up box trying to install Office 3000 - then I get an error message - a required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found - it tells me to install a disk which I do not have or give them the file I installed it in which I do not have. This keeps popping up & popping up every time I try to read an email or change a web page - it is driving me crazy!! Can someone please help??
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jul 3, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Could you mean Office 2003? There is no Office 3000. :o

What you are seeing is that Office has an error and is trying to repair itself, and it needs the source files to do it.

You can download the trial and when you reinstall it, it should fix your problems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...dardtrial.mspx

Jul 3, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwind_Dagas
    Could you mean Office 2003? There is no Office 3000. :o

What you are seeing is that Office has an error and is trying to repair itself, and it needs the source files to do it.

You can download the trial and when you reinstall it, it should fix your problems.
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...dardtrial.mspx
    Thank you so much - I succeeded in downloading Office 2003 (yes, that was what I meant). I no longer get those message boxes while working but when I reboot I get another windows installer window, then I get the message that window's is looking for Tray app - several times it goes to an unhandled exception, then I get a stop error due to an unknown device driver & have to reboot.

Jul 3, 2006, 04:51 PM
    If this just occurred as of reinstalling Office, you may want to do System Restore to before your Office install, then try it again. It is strange that installing Office would cause a device driver problem.

Jul 3, 2006, 05:11 PM
    If this just occured as of reinstalling Office, you may want to do System Restore to before your Office install, then try it again. It is strange that installing Office would cause a device driver problem.
    No, I actually had this problem before and thought it was office trying to install just like when I was online. Evidently this was a separate problem & it's this Tray app thing trying to install. This all started last week when I had to do a complete system restore and went back to most of my defaults. My trial edition to Microsoft office had been used up, but started again. Of course I can't make these problems go away with another restore since it won't let me go back past that restore date. At least you helped me with the one problem - I have no idea how to resolve this one (I almost don't want to reboot any more) - thank you for your help.

Jul 3, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jj58
    No, I actually had this problem before and thought it was office trying to install just like when I was online. Evidentally this was a seperate problem & it's this Tray app thing trying to install.
    That makes more sense. Can you tell me exactly what the error says about the tray app before it blue screens?

Jul 3, 2006, 05:35 PM
    That makes more sense. Can you tell me exactly what the error says about the tray app before it blue screens?
    First windows is looking for it, then it says - the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is unavailable - insert Tray App disk. Then I get the message - An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. It didn't blue screen this time and the only way I can get rid of either of these messages is to use ctrl, alt, delete

Jul 3, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Do you by chance have an HP printer? This could be HP's (or another brand's) print software that resides in the system tray. When it asks for a CD, try inserting the driver disk that came with your printer. If I'm way off base, let me know.

Jul 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
    Yes, I have an HP printer & tried what you said, but it still keeps looking for the CD - thank you, so much, for your patience - I am ready to tear my hair out! :)

Jul 4, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Do you by chance have an HP printer? This could be HP's (or another brand's) print software that resides in the system tray. When it asks for a CD, try inserting the driver disk that came with your printer. If I'm way off base, let me know.
    I just wanted to let you know that I THINK I figured out the problem - ever since I had the corrupt file my battery back up progran has not been working right (It even shuts down my PC from time to time). I was ready to uninstall & reinstall it, but cannot find the installation CD anywhere!! I have never thrown a CD away in my life, but his one is gone - I thought the forst thing I would do was put it in & reboot, but I think I am screwed and it was very expensive (at least, for me)! Thank you for all your time - I appreciate you fixing my other problem.:o

Jul 4, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Well, if you can't find the CD, just uninstall it. Most battery backups can be basically managed by Windows XP without the manufacture's own software.

Go to Control Panel> Power Options> UPS tab.

Jul 4, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jj58
    I just wanted to let you know that I THINK I figured out the problem - ever since I had the corrupt file my battery back up progran has not been working right (It even shuts down my pc from time to time). I was ready to uninstall & reinstall it, but cannot find the installation CD anywhere!!!! I have never thrown a CD away in my life, but his one is gone - I thought the forst thing I would do was put it in & reboot, but I think I am screwed and it was very expensive (at least, for me)! Thank you for all your time - I appreciate you fixing my other problem.:o
    I was just notified by email that you have a peply here for me, but I cannot find it??

Jul 4, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Well, if you can't find the CD, just uninstall it. Most battery backups can be basically managed by Windows XP without the manufacture's own software.

I just found your latest post (hadn't noticed there was a page 2) - I will try that - thank you

Jul 4, 2006, 03:05 PM

Just reporting - couldn't uninstall (was not in install uninstall) the company sent me a free download - what I was missing was just the part that gives me a report on the history of what the battery backed up - when I was clicking on that before this it would change my resolutions (everything went black & came back large, but all it did was give me the model number etc - no history. Now when I click on it it still changes my resolutions (it didn't before), but it does give me the history. Also, when I reboot I still get the install box and all the same messages including the online crashes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms Office [ 3 Answers ]

Hi when I try to open a word file its taking a long time for it to open as it says its scanning for virus.. its taking almost 2 minutes for a file to open. It happens with the smallest size of word document

Help! With windows office! [ 5 Answers ]

OK so I have windows 2003on my brand new laptop (haha) and so the laptop comes with the 30 day trial for windows 2006 but I don't want that. Every time I open like word it pops up then it says=installing windows 2006 trial. And I can't open my projects I've done cause when I close the installation...

Installing office in XP [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a new laptop that came with windows XP professional. The first time I logged on to the internet, I used Windows update and installed all the updates. Then, I inserted my Office XP cd and got this message. "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location...

Xp Office [ 5 Answers ]

I have an Me Operating system and I`m trying to install the Microsoft Xp Office. It is installed successfully but as I reboot the installation is lost.When I click on the shortcut for either Word,exel or Powerpoint ,I always get the massage `This action only valid for products that are currently...

Please help out of office notice [ 1 Answers ]

How to set up the notice at MS outlook?

View more questions Search