Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    punsterr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Re-install Moen single handle shower handle
    My Moen shower handle came off. I see there is a set screw at the bottom of it. The handle attaches to a plastic piece; however, you have to pull out the plastic piece from the wall to get the handle to fit over the plastic and to give the set screw something to set into.

How do I pull out the plastic piece and get the handle to fit over it at the same time? Placing the handle over the plastic just makes the plastic retract into the wall, which leaves nothing for the set screw to attach to!

This is probably a silly question... I know...
    Tarponman Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Dec 3, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Is there anyway you can use like monafilament fishing line or equivalent and create a slipknot? Slip the opening over the piece and pull it toward you to put on the showerhead.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 03:32 PM

Retract the plastic piece from the wall
    Gently insert the handle w/o pushing the plastic back into the wall
    Gently insert the screw into the handle
    Gently turn the screw until you grab first couple of threads
    Then, screw screw all the way in
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 04:36 PM

Hello punsterr,

Follow Milo's instruction you be able to install the handle with no problem, I am also attaching the links below for some more info, good luck.

John

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/L82691pt.pdf

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge

Dec 3, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Thanks for your quick responses. The issue I have is that the plastic piece doesn't seem to stay in its extended position when you pull it out from the wall - you have to hold it in its extended position. This makes it impossible to slip the handle over it. Should the plastic piece stay in its extended position? And what the heck is that plastic piece called? (I might as well sound reasonably intelligent while I'm talking about this stuff.)

Thanks for the install attachments, but they didn't quite address the issue either.

I have a call in to Moen tech support as well; awaiting a call back. I'll post their response if I hear back from them before I get "the answer" from this forum.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 05:47 PM

That plastic piece is call the handle adapter, when you hear from Moen tell them the handle is loose and the adapter is broken will not stay in the extended position they will send you the whole kit assembly, it contains the handle/adapter and the screws free of charge, all Moen products has life time warranty, good luck.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 06:53 PM

Agree with John. Moen will send you replacement parts for free.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 07:11 PM

Can you give a pic of the plastic piece you speak of?

Does the whole assembly move back when you try to push the handle on, or just the platic piece. Check to make sure your faceplate screws are tight. Does the black plastic handle adapter appear to be broken. As afaroo stated. Im betting afaroo nailed it. Let us know how it works out.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 08:33 PM

Punsterr,
    Can you tight the screw which attaches the plastic to the cartridge use a regular Philips screw driver,

Mygirsdad,

If you open my first link I think the plastic he talks about is 116653, Thanks.

Regards
    John

Dec 3, 2008, 09:30 PM

I'm traveling now, so I'll take a look at it this weekend. I appreciate your thoughts!
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 09:33 PM

Wish you a hapy trip I am out of contry too, I am in Hong Kong, Thanks.

John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 05:02 PM
    If you open my first link I think the plastic he talks about is 116653, Thanks.

For some reason your first link won't open for me, the second does.

I know what part you are talking about, just wanted to see a pic of theirs(and what kind of shape it was in).

This should be a simple fix. Any one of us could most likely have it fixed in a matter of minutes(with the right parts) Moens are extremely easy to work on( always buy a moen). Take care and please keep us posted.
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2008, 06:36 PM

Hi punsterr,

I re read your post again here setting in hotel room, is it possible if you can post the model Number or a picture of your faucet, because Moen is having a few deferent single handle shower faucets, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

No hot water from Moen Single handle shower valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water from my Moen single handle shower valve. I have plenty of pressure from cold water side. I removed the main handle to expose the valve. The hot water pipe has a small valve with a common head valve stem which I turned, hoping to unblock the valve, but this had no...

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

Replacing Moen single handle- tub / shower [ 8 Answers ]

The handle on my Moen single handle tub / shower broke so I'm trying to replace It with a new one. There are "gears" inside a sleeve and I can't figure out how to put the new one on. While looking straight at faucet the hot turns counter clockwise. While turning clockwise the water gets cool...

How do I change the washer in a moen single shower handle [ 4 Answers ]

How do I change the washer in a moen single shower handle

View more questions Search